Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is grocery delivery a New York thing?
Previous  1  2

Notsobusy

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 12:38 am
greenfire wrote:
it certainly seems like a new york thing ... then again soon technology will read your mind and your every craving will be delivered

just like the jetson's robot rosie

That sounds dangerous, if my every craving is delivered I will soon be at least twice my size.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 3:53 am
some of the supermarket chains here have online delivery. There is a delivery charge of $5-$8 depending on the day of the week. Its a great service, I use it all the time.

m in Israel

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 6:19 am
I know you are not really asking about EY, but as Dr. Mom said, it is pretty commonly available in most of EY, IME. Certainly in large cities. Here in RBSA all the major supermarkets offer delivery, many with discounted rates if you purchase above a certain amount.

In the U.S. I think it is less common out of the NY Metro area, probably because as people explained there's less of a need for it. But there certainly are places with it available -- if it is important to you, just add it to the list of things you research when you are considering a specific area. It really makes no difference how common or uncommon it is -- you only need to know about the one city you move to.

pickle321

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 6:21 am
I'm sure you can hire a highschool or college student in any city to do your grocery shopping for you.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 6:35 am
Thanks. So it seems to be very location specific and something I'd have to look into about any place I research. The reasons I hate in store shopping have nothing to do with the reasons given for why it's supposedly more pleasant OOT, so none of those factors would help me and not having a delivery option would still be a deal breaker.

DrMom

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 6:52 am
amother wrote:
Thanks. So it seems to be very location specific and something I'd have to look into about any place I research. The reasons I hate in store shopping have nothing to do with the reasons given for why it's supposedly more pleasant OOT, so none of those factors would help me and not having a delivery option would still be a deal breaker.

It seems rather rash to rule out a place to live because you'd have to go buy groceries if you lived there. Unless you have some extreme social anxiety or an immune disease that requires you to live in a bubble or are severely physically disabled, it seems like a small inconvenience.

Besides, you could explore alternatives (hiring someone to pic up groceries for you, etc.).

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 7:58 am
In Seattle we had a wonderful kosher delivery place, and regular super markets were starting to do deliveries on large orders, too.

Our local store in Nahariya delivers if your order is above a certain amount (B'H!) It sure beats waiting for a cab or shlepping stuff on the bus.

I like to shop, so I take the bus to the store, make my purchase, and arrange delivery. I take the bus home, and a couple of hours later my food shows up at the apartment. Love it!

cm

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 9:04 am
At the bottom of the Peapod homepage you can see the regions where delivery service is available.

http://www.peapod.com/

greenfire

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 9:43 am
btw ~ where my mother lives there is no delivery w/o a hefty price along with a hefty order ... so not everybody has this convenience

I have really been racking my brain and I do not recall deliveries in cleveland - then again you pop everything in your car & voila

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 11:14 am
Walmart, Amazon prime, many supermarkets do online delivery.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 11:39 am
In the South, Publix has a delivery service called Shipt.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 11:43 am
amother wrote:

What is the issue?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 12:11 pm
Really? Are there any other South Florida delivery services?

mha3484

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 12:16 pm
My friends all say this is fantastic https://www.instacart.com/locations.

I have never used it because I like to pick out my own food but I have only heard good things about this service. It helped me a lot last year when my father had an injury and could not shop and my shopping for him would have caused a huge argument. If you live in one of the locations listed it might help you!

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 12:43 pm
amother wrote:
What is the issue?

Kids. Shopping with kids is incredibly stressful. And I also don't see the appeal of loading my car with groceries. And then unloading at home, which is also a task made more difficult by kids.
Also, my last pregnancy I had to be on bed rest, so grocery delivery was a necessity. The issue is not expected to recur in future pregnancies, but there is still a chance it might, so that's never far from my mind either when I think about this issue.

cm

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:
Kids. Shopping with kids is incredibly stressful. And I also don't see the appeal of loading my car with groceries. And then unloading at home, which is also a task made more difficult by kids.
Also, my last pregnancy I had to be on bed rest, so grocery delivery was a necessity. The issue is not expected to recur in future pregnancies, but there is still a chance it might, so that's never far from my mind either when I think about this issue.

Many suburban supermarkets now have a drive-through service. You place your order, go to the store, and they load your car. You still need to unload at home.

Also some grocery stores have in-store child care which is really fantastic.

DrMom

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 1:13 pm
amother wrote:

Is that all? You do know that thousands and thousands of people manage to go grocery shopping with kids in tow, don't you? Also, eventually these kids grow older and go to school, so you can go shopping while they are in school.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 1:54 pm
In my city, Walmart offers pickup where you order online and then they load your order directly into your car. Safeway also offers grocery delivery for a fee.

mazal555

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 7:37 pm
DrMom wrote:
Is that all? You do know that thousands and thousands of people manage to go grocery shopping with kids in tow, don't you? Also, eventually these kids grow older and go to school, so you can go shopping while they are in school.

I think you're being unreasonably harsh. Everyone has their limitations and just because I can do it doesn't mean everybody can but there are things that are 'normal' that I can't do either. And you don't know what her kids are like, either.

Also, it's very traumatic to be on bedrest. I was on partial bedrest in my last pregnancy and I have a high likelihood of it with any future pregnancies and even though I usually do my own shopping (or DH does) delivery is something I keep in the back of my mind for the future.

That being said, I learned from experience that you would be surprised at how much you can get on Amazon Prime and Walmart and how seldom you need to go to the grocery for more than a few items (and just a few items, DH can usually handle)

And I want a replicator Smile

mille

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 7:44 pm
amother wrote:

Is there a reason your husband wouldn't be able to go? Or why he can't watch the kids while you go?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics