Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How to cook gefilte fish

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 10:31 pm
My husband took upon himself to cook gefilta fish for the shul's shalosh seudas. anyone have a good recipe??

greenfire

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 5:33 pm
I'm assuming you don't mean from scratch ...

buy some frozen rolls

you can cook 2 at a time in a large pot, putting in about 2 inches of water, the frozen rolls, baby carrots or regular carrots cut into small circles, 1 onion, sprinkle of salt, fresh crushed black pepper, and 2 tablespoons - 1/4 cup of sugar [depending on how sweet you like it]

cook on low flame for about 2 hours - turning over every 30 minutes so each side has a chance to cook - keep an eye on the water level - you want it to cook out and make the carrots & onions carmelize but NOT burn

turn off fire & let cool in pot - unwrap the paper, cut evenly into 12 slices per roll

amother
Beige

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 6:59 pm
I bake mine in the oven.
Cover halfway with water some salt and about 1/3 cup sugar.
Bake at 350 for 2 hours

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 7:01 pm
mfb wrote:
I bake mine in the oven.
Cover halfway with water some salt and about 1/3 cup sugar.
Bake at 350 for 2 hours
Do you cover the pan with foil or leave it uncovered? Do you keep the paper on the roll?

amother
Beige

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 7:03 pm
amother wrote:
Do you cover the pan with foil or leave it uncovered? Do you keep the paper on the roll?

With paper on, and covered
I remove the paper and all water as soon as baking is done since we like it drier.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 7:10 pm
amother wrote:
With paper on, and covered
I remove the paper and all water as soon as baking is done since we like it drier.

Thank you! What size pan for one regular loaf gefilte fish?

amother
Beige

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 7:17 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you! What size pan for one regular loaf gefilte fish?

I use a 9x13 because that's what's cheap, and I always have them handy.
You can really use something just a bit bigger than the loaf. Just make sure its deep enough.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 9:15 am
For one roll:
Cut onion and put on bottom of pan.
Put roll of fish in pan with paper (seam side down)
In a measuring cup, put 1/4 cup sugar (or a little more), a sprinkle of white pepper, a heaping teaspoon of salt, and add water until 3/4 cup.
Mix and pour over fish.
Cover with foil and bake on 350 for 1.5 hours. We take it out of the pan right after because we don't like it liquidy.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 9:18 am
We use smallish round pans, because they're cheaper than loaf pans and work just fine.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 9:27 am
This is my recipe and I've made it for crowds.

2 A&B Royal Gelfilte fish frozen rolls
2 Carrots peeled
1 whole onion
8 peppercorns (whole pepperballs)
2 TBSP salt
1 7oz. plastic cup of sugar
9x13 disposable pan

Preheat oven to 350
Put all the ingredients in the pan, fill with water until the rolls are covered halfway. Cover the pan with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 and a half to two hours. Remove from oven. Remove paper from rolls, cool rolls. I slice the rolls right away as well as the carrot and put a circle of carrot on each piece of fish and store them in a disposable pan lined with parchment paper (this way it's ready to just serve onto plates immediately)...I lay it out in single layers, slices of fish on top of parchment paper, then put another piece of parchment paper on top and layer it with more slices of fish etc. and cover pan with foil, refrigerate until serving.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 9:31 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
This is my recipe and I've made it for crowds.

2 A&B Royal Gelfilte fish frozen rolls
2 Carrots peeled
1 whole onion
8 peppercorns (whole pepperballs)
2 TBSP salt
1 7oz. plastic cup of sugar
9x13 disposable pan

Preheat oven to 350
Put all the ingredients in the pan, fill with water until the rolls are covered halfway. Cover the pan with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 and a half to two hours. Remove from oven. Remove paper from rolls, cool rolls. I slice the rolls right away as well as the carrot and put a circle of carrot on each piece of fish and store them in a disposable pan lined with parchment paper (this way it's ready to just serve onto plates immediately)...I lay it out in single layers, slices of fish on top of parchment paper, then put another piece of parchment paper on top and layer it with more slices of fish etc. and cover pan with foil, refrigerate until serving.

Do your carrots get soft?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen