Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Shavuos Recipes For Diabetic

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 2:50 pm
Any food ideas for a diabetic?
I want her to have simchas yom tov, and enjoy food, and be able to eat, even tho most things are unhealthy for her :/

tia!

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 3:18 pm
I made a crustless quiche - eggs, milk, mayo, cheese and veges. About 5 carbs per serving
Cheese snacks - greek yogurt, cream cheese, eggs, and splenda - didn't figure out the carb count yet, but it should be pretty low.

What type of foods are you looking for?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 4:00 pm
Shavuot is actually pretty easy for diabetes. The only problem would be pasta and cheesecake. Everything else you might make is fine, just don't use sugary sauces or breading. If you want to make cheesecake diabetes friendly, you can use a sugar substitute (though I have no idea how good it will come out) and they can avoid the crust, which isn't the major part of the dish anyway. Pasta, there's not much you can do about. As long as you have plenty of other food for her to eat, she'll either skip the pasta or have an allowed amount.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 4:07 pm
amother wrote:
Shavuot is actually pretty easy for diabetes. The only problem would be pasta and cheesecake. Everything else you might make is fine, just don't use sugary sauces or breading. If you want to make cheesecake diabetes friendly, you can use a sugar substitute (though I have no idea how good it will come out) and they can avoid the crust, which isn't the major part of the dish anyway. Pasta, there's not much you can do about. As long as you have plenty of other food for her to eat, she'll either skip the pasta or have an allowed amount.

shes not so good with "allowed amounts", theres a ton of cheesecake which is full of sugar (even with a sugar substitute, cheese itself gets converted to sugar..)

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 4:08 pm
amother wrote:
I made a crustless quiche - eggs, milk, mayo, cheese and veges. About 5 carbs per serving
Cheese snacks - greek yogurt, cream cheese, eggs, and splenda - didn't figure out the carb count yet, but it should be pretty low.

What type of foods are you looking for?

crustless quiche sounds good.. can u give me the recipe?

im looking for side dishes shell eat I guess.. (she doesnt like chicken/meat)

also, cheese in general isnt good for diabetics..

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 4:22 pm
This is exactly what you're looking for. Vegan and gluten free:

https://www.vegansociety.com/r.....-free

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 4:39 pm
Who told you cheese isn't good for diabetics? I eat tons of cheese, it helps keep me satisfied between meals and keeps my sugar at an even keel. Cheese doesn't "convert to sugar".

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 9:12 am
To the best of my knowledge, somehow, melted (or maybe, warm/hot) cheese isn't good for blood sugar (I can't for the life of myself figure out how a product that has no or almost no carbs can raise blood sugar but I've heard from others that it is a problem.)

I use a basic quiche recipe that I got from one of the magazines (FF, Binah?) and then you add in whatever you want.

2 eggs
1/2 c milk
1/2 c mayo
2 T flour

Then you can add in broccoli, spinach, tuna, chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned), cheese, herbs, mushrooms in any combinations you want.

The recipe calls for using a crust, but I just poured it into a greased 9 in round pan and baked until golden on top.

Pineapple

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:26 am
amother wrote:

for pasta theres dream fields I believe its 5 digestible carbs per serving

Pineapple

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:27 am
FYI: Cheese is not a problem for diabetics! (unless they are lactose intolerant)

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:37 am
Having grown up with a diabetic brother, he always had very good control of his blood sugar despite eating whatever he wanted. Diabetics can eat whatever others can as long as they pay attention to what they eat and cover with insulin. Kol hakavod for trying to be accommodating!

As far as cheese, he says it's totally fine and actually good. The problem foods are refined carbs (white flour) and sugar. The amount in a crust is still ok- most diabetics don't go completely carb free! He suggests asking her what she would like to eat, as everyone is different and diabetes is often misunderstood.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:53 am
amother wrote:
Having grown up with a diabetic brother, he always had very good control of his blood sugar despite eating whatever he wanted. Diabetics can eat whatever others can as long as they pay attention to what they eat and cover with insulin. Kol hakavod for trying to be accommodating!

As far as cheese, he says it's totally fine and actually good. The problem foods are refined carbs (white flour) and sugar. The amount in a crust is still ok- most diabetics don't go completely carb free! He suggests asking her what she would like to eat, as everyone is different and diabetes is often misunderstood.

This is a good run down of the issues. Also, op seems overly concerned about this guest taking care of herself. You are not responsible for a grown adult's management of her health issues. Obviously it is important that you make enough food that she can safely eat, but you don't have to make the entire meal diabetes friendly. Any guest with a special diet needs to have enough food they can eat, but does not need the entire meal to be that way (unless you're dealing with a severe allergy). She knows how many bites of pasta she can have better than you do. And if she's not so good about it, unless you're concerned she's going to literally make herself ill unless you cater the entire meal to her needs, I don't think it's worth making a deal out of it.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:54 am
amother wrote:
The amount in a crust is still ok- most diabetics don't go completely carb free!

Theoretically, the crust could be within her carb count, but if she is washing at the meal and/or wants to have any other food items, it might be smarter to leave it out so she can use her carbs on other foods.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:57 am
amother wrote:
This is a good run down of the issues. Also, op seems overly concerned about this guest taking care of herself. You are not responsible for a grown adult's management of her health issues. Obviously it is important that you make enough food that she can safely eat, but you don't have to make the entire meal diabetes friendly. Any guest with a special diet needs to have enough food they can eat, but does not need the entire meal to be that way (unless you're dealing with a severe allergy). She knows how many bites of pasta she can have better than you do. And if she's not so good about it, unless you're concerned she's going to literally make herself ill unless you cater the entire meal to her needs, I don't think it's worth making a deal out of it.

The OP doesn't specify whether this is a guest, parent, or child. I would agree that for a regular guest, the host can just make a few friendly foods, and let the guest manage their choices, but for either a parent or child who is having trouble making good choices, I can totally see a host working harder to make sure there is less temptation, and more good options available.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 11:20 am
Again, I would say talk to her. My brother never had a "carb limit" at all. He just ate whatever he wanted and made sure to take enough insulin to make up for it- especially on shabbos and yuntif!

cnc

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 1:27 pm
There's a distinction between cheeses. "Real cheeses " such as Muenster mozzarella etc or good.
Processed cheese foods (cottage cheese, cream cheese, American cheese are all high in sugar/carbs and should be restricted.

In regards to eating whatever you want and just making up for it with extra insulin- that's really not the ideal. (Although people do it anyways.)

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:
Again, I would say talk to her. My brother never had a "carb limit" at all. He just ate whatever he wanted and made sure to take enough insulin to make up for it- especially on shabbos and yuntif!

1) There's a difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes.

2) I too have never heard of cheese being a problem for diabetics.

3) Some recipe ideas:

Eggplant Parmesan (don't have to bread the eggplant)
Portobello Parmesan (mushrooms instead of eggplant)
Stuffed portobello mushrooms (stuffed with diced sautéed zucchini and bell pepper)
Many kugels can be made low carb or no carb - broccoli kugel for example
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics