Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Finding meaning in Shavuot

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 4:16 pm
I'm having a hard time getting in the mood for Shavuot. As it is, there's nothing really special or exciting about it like with the other holidays. Eating dairy is a fun novelty, but not really meaningful. The only special thing is staying up all night to learn, which isn't even halacha, but a relatively new minhag. I actually used to enjoy that minhag and enjoyed learning all night long, but ever since having kids, that's not doable, so I haven't done it in years and I miss it. I could go to a day time shiur, but I could do that any old Shabbos, so it wouldn't infuse any particular meaning into the day. I need some ideas. Or validation, that's fine too.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 4:20 pm
Saying the entire tehillim can be nice as it's Dovid Hamelech's yartzeit on Shavuos

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 4:30 pm
There is so much to think about. I went to a shiur on megillas rus last shabbos. You can learn about matan torah, I talk to my kids about the chashivus of torah. Why its so important etc.

5mom

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 4:46 pm
It's an interesting chag in that it has no special mitzvos. Also, the Torah doesn't even give us the exact date - to the point that Chazal argue about when Matan Torah actually happened.

And maybe that's the point. We're not commemorating something that happened in the past. We have to accept Torah anew every day. The feeling comes from inside us, not from externals . Just a thought.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics