Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Lack of Political Involvement and Its Repercussions
Previous  1  2  3  Next

How involved are you in local politics?
Very involved  
 7%  [ 8 ]
I only know what the advertisements tell me  
 9%  [ 10 ]
Not involved, but I stay updated on issues  
 44%  [ 47 ]
Local Politics? What's that?  
 38%  [ 40 ]
Total Votes : 105

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 5:15 pm
There are apparently no Jews in Rockland County, only white people, black people, latinos, etc .
http://failedmessiah.typepad.c.....0.pdf

Oh, and did you know that the holocaust was just "white-on-white crime" and not about Nazis killing Jews? Yup. That is what its come down to, Jews are white which means they have "white privilege" (this is taken from the nazi playbook who said that Jews were privileged which led to their rights, I mean privileges, slowly being taken away etc) and there is no such thing as anti-semitism...

I hope Moshiach comes today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com.....ecay/

https://www.washingtonpost.com.....ples/

ora_43

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 5:20 pm
mille wrote:
Okay, how is this different than those who stereotype all Muslims on the basis of Islamic terrorists? There are plenty of Muslims who are WONDERFUL people, yet I see Jews constantly disparaging ALL Muslims in the same exact way.

Why are you asking that as if it's somehow a counter-argument to what I said? Confused

Like I said earlier, and like has been said on threads about police violence and racism - there's no perfect victim. Should we not stand up to racism until it targets a community that has no members who have expressed racism against another community?

Also, kinda ironic to post this in response to my comment re: the important distinction between saying "some newcomers" or even "some members of X community" instead of just "Jews" or "the Jews."

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 10:18 am
I oscillate from "not voting for the new mayor" and "on the verge of taking on something in local politics".

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 10:30 am
Maya wrote:
There aren't only "kernels of truth," it is often the whole truth.

And suppose someone from the community was at that meeting. What would they do, get up and deny that the allegations are true? But they are true. So now what?
It is true that they bussed in people from Brooklyn to vote. Why would someone deny that? Same for most of your other claims.

How do you know this to be true? Because the Journal News (whose reputation is no secret) decided to claim that? I live in this community, and am not aware of that. I do know that some mosdos (big ones - like Viznitz) bus their staff and kollel yungerlait to vote. Why on earth would someone think they came from Brooklyn?

For individuals to 'list their children as [crazy]'??? They'd need a doctor to support that. These claims are completely false.

And so imamothers know: Jews haven't taken over the 'Rockland County' School Board. There's one school district in all of Rockland County that has a majority of heimishe school board members. They can't 'shut down' the school budget as one poster mentioned. This district has financial problems because of Albany's method of calculating financial aid - not because of religious Jews 'taking over' the board.

marina

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 2:35 pm
Have you watched a video of the famous board meeting where the secular woman cried abt her kids education and the frum board members ignores her entirely and their attorney called her a cunt? Perhaps that will give you some context.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 2:44 pm
That is HORRIFYING! Do you have a link to that video? I am aghast.

marina

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 2:46 pm
amother wrote:
That is HORRIFYING! Do you have a link to that video? I am aghast.

Watch this to the end:

marina

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 2:51 pm
And this in the parking lot:

iriska_meller

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 3:13 pm
This is what happened in Ramapo school district. If this is not a huge Hillul Hashem, I don't know what is.

http://m.thisamericanlife.org/.....ority

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 4:35 pm
How is bussing in teachers ok if they don't live in the district? It's for residents, not employees...

Personally, I disagree with those who say you must have kids in PS to be on the school board- the school board covers a lot more kids than just PS kids. Plus it would disqualify capable people who might have the time/skills/inclination who happen to be childless, have grown up children etc.
but those who do run better make a kiddush Hashem and not ignore major issues and/or favor one group.

Sudy

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 5:07 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
How is bussing in teachers ok if they don't live in the district? It's for residents, not employees...

They dont bus them in from a different location. They provide buses for their staff and kollel men to get to the voting station.

But it looks bad to the outside viewer. Imagine a suburban voting place and all of a sudden you have buses rolling in to the parking lot, yiddish letters on the buses, and you see tens of black suited, black hatted men coming in droves.

It looks bad, but are they required to give up their democratic rights?

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 7:59 pm
Sudy wrote:
They dont bus them in from a different location. They provide buses for their staff and kollel men to get to the voting station.

But it looks bad to the outside viewer. Imagine a suburban voting place and all of a sudden you have buses rolling in to the parking lot, yiddish letters on the buses, and you see tens of black suited, black hatted men coming in droves.

Right, it looks suspicious and draws a lot of attention. I think part of the issue here is that certain groups of Jews are coming across as very aggressive and powerful in promoting their own agenda and that's what people are afraid of. So hence, all the Jew bashing.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 9:08 pm
Sudy wrote:

Vote absentee if you can't get there without causing a scene.

m in Israel

Post Sat, Jul 02 2016, 2:15 pm
amother wrote:

You do realize that the law does not allow you to just "vote absentee". You need to have a reason. In NY state, you need to actually be "absent" from the county/city you live in or meet one of certain other requirements (having a disability or illness that prevents you from coming to the polls or being the primary caregiver to such a person, for example). You can't vote absentee just so that people shouldn't realize that frum Jews are voting. . .

Sudy

Post Sat, Jul 02 2016, 10:00 pm
amother wrote:

Why are they required to go through the hassle of voting in absentee (assuming its legal to do so)? They are doing nothing wrong here.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 12:40 am
m in Israel wrote:
You do realize that the law does not allow you to just "vote absentee". You need to have a reason. In NY state, you need to actually be "absent" from the county/city you live in or meet one of certain other requirements (having a disability or illness that prevents you from coming to the polls or being the primary caregiver to such a person, for example). You can't vote absentee just so that people shouldn't realize that frum Jews are voting. . .

Where I live you can just sign up to vote absentee. No reason.

But don't make a scene. Or maybe they should require ID to vote so people know that no one is being bussed in. Whatever- just Don't make it easy for anyone with a smart phone to take pictures and post that yidden are cheating and bussing in.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 12:48 am
Why can't they just vote individually like everybody else manages to? It doesn't need to be absentee and it doesn't need to be mobs of people loading out of buses.

m in Israel

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 2:05 am
I really have no idea what is going on in this specific location. And I am actually quite for anything that will help diminish voter fraud, including requiring an ID to vote.

However I am a bit taken aback by all the posters who seem to feel there is something wrong with people availing themselves of the most basic of their democratic rights. Providing busing to the polling stations is done by all sorts of groups, and I really don't see what is wrong with it. Nor do I see any problem with people coming out together in groups to vote. In fact in most of the places where I have lived people are encouraged to come out and vote and it is considered one's patriotic duty! Many polling stations will give out "I voted" stickers or something like that so that when leave other people will see you and remember to vote/be inspired to do so. Assuming the people on the buses were legal residents who were entitled to vote, I really don't see why they have to sneak in one at a time as if they are doing something wrong.

When I lived in the U.S. (not anywhere near the regions being discussed in this thread), my friend and I used to always go to vote together, and we would specifically bring our children along, too, because we wanted to involve them in the process and thought it was a good education for them to come. We definitely made a bit of a "scene" with a bunch of kids between us (the kids behaved fine, we would only bring the ones old enough to stand properly on line, etc. but still we were a bit of a "crowd"). No one ever complained or gave us dirty looks -- in fact we got plenty of smiles and lots of people talking to our kids (and asking who they were voting for!). The general tone was that people were glad to see children learn about and experience voting. It saddens me a bit to think that women on this site feel we need to hide the fact that as a group we participate in the democratic process.

Of course if in fact things are being done that are shady or illegal, that is a different story altogether. But the amothers here seem to be saying that even if these people are local residents who are entitled to vote they should do it secretly (through absentee ballots or one at at time).

MrsDash

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 2:31 am
marina wrote:
And this in the parking lot:

I can't believe what I just watched! What a lowlife! What sane, educated adult talks like that to another person? This guy was either tweeked/drunk or completely mentally insane. If he's married, I feel bad for the wife.

His behavior is most likely due to his micro sized man parts...

Snickers18

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 4:54 am
marina wrote:
Watch this to the end:

I'm confused. Is there more context to this video? I live nowhere near NY and am unfamiliar with the politics, but it sounds like the mother is talking about an issue totally unrelated to the frum community. So why would their lawyer go off on her? Were there pre-existing tensions?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics