Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Amina for girl's name?
1  2  Next

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 12:39 pm
Been looking around a lot for girl's names, threads and other websites... I was hung up on Emuna- love the meaning and sound, but I decided it is too close to another daughter's name, especially if I end up using a nickname...

I came across the name Amina on a non-jewish site, and they say it means the same- faith. Is it at all a used name? I never heard it before... I love the meaning and this form is different enough to my other DD's that it would be okay.

If it is a used name, is it odd to use it in the States? Completely not Israeli or Modern community and neither am I.

Or if someone can think of another girl's name meaning Faith.

Thanks!

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 12:43 pm
I had a non jewish classmate in college-her name is Amina. It's a Muslim name apparently.....

animeme

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 1:07 pm
I also once knew a Muslim young woman named Amina.

wiki

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 1:10 pm
I've never met an Amina. It's definitely unusual.
And, for what it's worth, my initial association is to "Amino acid."

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 1:13 pm
OK, thanks everyone! I really need some inspiration- please help me out :-)

fbc

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 1:34 pm
Lol I also thought amino acid Smile
Does it have to mean faith exactly? How abt tikva meaning hope?

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 1:40 pm
fbc wrote:

DH doesn't like Tikva, but thanks for the suggestion!

2cents

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 1:43 pm
I know someone who named their daughter shulamis because that's the word used in shir hashirim to describe the faithfulness of Benai yisrael to Hashem. She goes by shuli, and I love the thought behind the name.

etky

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 1:48 pm
fbc wrote:

And for me it's hava amina...

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 3:17 pm
It's a lovely name, and is Arabic for 'faithful'

The word exists in Hebrew too, but the Arabic is better known. I think you have to decide if that bothers you.

spring13

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 7:09 pm
It's a very common Arabic/Muslim name - I love it too, but I don't think I'd use it. If you're very into the meaning and don't mind using something unusual, maybe Ne'emana would work?

Other "virtue" names - Ruchama, Nechama, Ra'aya, Bina, Geula, Shalva, Temima. Is that the kind of thing you're going for?

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 10:42 pm
[quote="spring13"]It's a very common Arabic/Muslim name - I love it too, but I don't think I'd use it. If you're very into the meaning and don't mind using something unusual, maybe Ne'emana would work?

Other "virtue" names - Ruchama, Nechama, Ra'aya, Bina, Geula, Shalva, Temima. Is that the kind of thing you're going for?[/quote]

Yes, I am looking for "virtue" names I guess- didn't think of it like that :-)

I'm working on my emunas hash-em now, so I thought the name very appropriate... But, there are many aspects to it, of course! So, I am trying to find a name that connotates the relationship with Hash-em.

From those, meaning wise I like Bina and Temima. But neither I can use :-) I have a few months to ponder and narrow down, but my husband and I are really not getting any where between the two of us! I just can use more options, please :-)

To life

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 11:17 pm
How about naomi?
Or chana she had great faith in hashem?
Or simcha u cant get to hashem without that?
Some other suggestions temima shalva shira

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 4:29 am
It's a Muslim name. She would probably be mistaken for a Muslim many times. How about Emunah - faith or Amana - covenant

DrMom

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 7:55 am
chanchy123 wrote:
It's a Muslim name. She would probably be mistaken for a Muslim many times. How about Emunah - faith or Amana - covenant

That's an appliance brand in the US.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 12:13 pm
[I]How about naomi?
Or chana she had great faith in hashem?
Or simcha u cant get to hashem without that?
Some other suggestions temima shalva shira[/I]

I feel like Naomi is a Shavuos name, but besides I know way too many IRL...
Chana- love the meaning, have the name already ;-)
Neither DH or I like Simcha as a girl's name.
Love Temima, like Shalva, don't like Shira (too common, don't care for the meaning either). However, have a Temima in the family and I don't really like the meaning of Shalva- though I do like the sound. Thanks!!

[I]It's a Muslim name. She would probably be mistaken for a Muslim many times. How about Emunah - faith or Amana - covenant[/I]

Thanks, I understand that already- gonna skip Amina :-) And about Emunah, that was my original intent, but too similar to another family name already. And as DrMom says- Amana will remind me of my mother's oven! ;-)

Thank you everyone! Still brainstorming...

cm

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 1:23 pm
DrMom wrote:
That's an appliance brand in the US.

Small tangent - the Amana appliance company has its roots in a religious community, hence the name.

etky

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 3:40 pm
cm wrote:
Small tangent - the Amana appliance company has its roots in a religious community, hence the name.

Amana is a place name that appears in Tanach, in Shir Hashirim, alongside Snir (another name that wouldn't work in English) as a designation for Mt. Hermon or one of its peaks.
Perhaps that is the origin of the Amana community's name?

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 4:40 pm
Hysterical - my first thought was "Hav Amina" ... it's like when you meet someone named "Melika" I think of slitting off a chicken's head or whatever melika is in the gemara (tmi!)

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 4:51 pm
So as far as "virtue" names, I don't think anyone's said Bracha yet. Or Shalva, Menucha, Yaffa? Shayna, Baila or Shprintza if you are into Yiddish.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names