Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Swimming with your children

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 3:09 pm
From what age do you stop wearing a swimsuit in front of your sons? And when you would no longer wear just a swimsuit, what do you wear?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 3:11 pm
We rent a pool as a family. My daughers and my self wear swim cover ups.. made out of bathing suit material

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 3:52 pm
What age boys should not see their mother in a swimsuit? (Halacha/ hashkafa)

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 3:59 pm
I always wear a long sleeved swim dress with leggings, and I bought the same for my daughter. We never wear bathing suits. You never know when a male lifeguard is going to walk through the area.

DH also holds that DD and I can go to mixed swimming areas, as long as we are in our swim dresses. (He hates the beach, so he doesn't care to go.)

If you are taking your boys to a public beach or pool, keep in mind that there may be other women there who are in bathing suits - and figure out at what age they should start being at a boys/men only swim time. If the pool is in your own home, then just wear a swim dress.

Long story short, I would stop at the age when I wouldn't want my boys to see me in my underwear, because that's really what a swimsuit is. They don't cover much more than that.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 4:22 pm
amother wrote:
What age boys should not see their mother in a swimsuit? (Halacha/ hashkafa)

That would be a question for your local orthadox rabbi

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jul 05 2016, 4:22 pm
Is it possible to actually swim in a swim dress?

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 5:46 am
It depends on you own personal haskafa my ds has never seen me in a swimsuit I always wear a swim coverup. So from birth!

Obviously Halacha might dictate older but from how young might be your own haskafa. Like maybe 6 or 9. But after 3 I would!

Best to discuss with Rav.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 6:08 am
My Mother used to swim with us girls in just a bathing suit and I was traumatized- because it's really just underwear! If my boys were younger I would go with some sort of rash top (swimming top) and even shorts on bottom. As they are now post bar-Mitzva, only in a swimdress.

fmt4

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 8:02 am
amother wrote:
My Mother used to swim with us girls in just a bathing suit and I was traumatized- because it's really just underwear! If my boys were younger I would go with some sort of rash top (swimming top) and even shorts on bottom. As they are now post bar-Mitzva, only in a swimdress.

Why in the world were you traumatized by the sight of your mother in a bathing suit????

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 8:18 am
amother wrote:

So you never go swimming with your mom? Very odd.

To op: my oldest is 9 and I still wear a bathing suit in front of them. I guess when they are teens I will put a tank and shorts on top.

Zehava

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 8:41 am
It all depends on how the kid is raised. Of they're being body shamed and told that being naked is yucky and shameful then they will be traumatized seeing their mother in a bathing suit. But if it's no big deal year round, if they're comfortable with their own bodies and not being constantly told to not look at scantily clad women In the street then they won't give it a second thought.

sky

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 9:44 am
I think its a question for your rav.
Not sure of exact age I stopped swimming with my boys - probably around 6\7.
But once I stop I don't go swimming with them at all - not even in a full cover up. (makes me sad)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics