Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Top loader washer vs agitator..advice needed

happy mommy6

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 10:10 pm
It looks lIke my top loader is on its last leg. It's not cleaning clothes well and having v other issues too. First, do you have any reccomendations? Secondly, what machine would you reccomend?
I do lots of laundry- prob 10-12 loads a week.
Technician said I should get machine worth agitator? Anyone have experience with this?

sky

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 6:48 am
never heard of it.
I found my technition gives the best appliance advice so listen to him.
I recently bought a new machine and learned that agigators don't work the same now as they used to because of new laws of how much water can be used in the machine.

farm

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 7:13 am
Switched to a front loader (no agitator) and couldn't be happier. I used a top loader at a friend I was visiting and couldn't get over how much harsher it was on my clothes since I have gotten so used to my front loader. Also, the new top loader machines have a different type of agitator and have to use less water so unless you are getting an old fashioned top loader machine, be aware that it's harder to get the clothes clean with those and if you stuff your machine full (I tend to do that!) it's even harder to get them stain free. That being said, the negatives of a front loader are 1. Can't add clothes in middle of a cycle. Once the load starts, the door is locked til it's finished. 2. Cycles take longer (about an hour per load). 3. You need to keep the machine door open when not using or else it gets a moldy smell (so I've heard. Haven't had an issue but I always keep the door open). No problem if your machine is in the basement but may bother you if it's in the kitchen. I have a whirlpool duet I got front Towne Apploance in NJ.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 7:21 am
I love my Lg front loader. Many of the cons listed by Farm are not applicable to my machine.
1. My machine has a pause button. The door gets unlocked and I can add if I want to.
2. I have an option to do a speed cycle which takes only 15 minutes.
3. Is true. I keep my door open.
The only downside I find is that it doesn't have a soak option. But if I do a pre wash on my whites and I up the soil level, it comes out very very clean.

Today's top loaders are really not good.

sky

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 7:33 am
I also love whirlpool duet front loader. Get clothes really clean.
- I can add clothing at the beginning of the cycle so if I forget a sock I can still add the first few minutes.
- It has a soak feature. Most new top loaders will drain if you leave the cover open for safety reasons. So a specific soak feature is needed on top and front loaders.
- Fan fresh - because the door seals I've heard complaints that if you leave clothes overnight they smell musty. The fan keeps the clothing spinning.

m+m

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 8:52 am
Sky- I have the same machine as you and could not be happier.
I splurged and got the more expensive model since it had precision dispense for the detergent. Which basically measures the detergent out for you and tells you when to refil the detergent. I use about 1 bottle of tide every 8 months.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 8:54 am
I recently got a new washing machine - the Speed Queen. It's a top-loader and I was told it would be the most similar to my basic, good 'ole washing machine that finally died. I'm very happy with it so far (got it week after Pesach). It was more expensive than the whirlpool toploader but my techinician recommended it, saying it's a better machine and breaks less.....

cnc

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 9:08 am
I have a Maytag front loader and I can pause the machine to add things in middle of a cycle.
It also has an extra soak and rinse option as well as an Oxi prewash button.
It's huge and I can put lots of stuff in it, but the cycle takes much longer than a top loader.
I couldn't be happier.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 9:12 am
For a league load that will have to go a long time, do it at night with the delay button. You wake up to clean clothing that is not molding on the machine.
I'm have a Bosch, also with a pause button.
I wash DH's Tallis on wool or hand.

sky

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 9:19 am
I was also recommended to get the Speed Queen top loader by my fix it guy, but he said only if it was the older model, not the newer digital model - only because they changed some things - he didn't have experience to know about it.
I made some phone calls and couldn't find the non digital speed queen.

For a top loader the only one that Town appliance would even talk about was the Whirlpool Carbrio because you can force it to use more water. They really didn't want to sell me one.

The speed queen is a commercial machine so you would expect it to last longer. Everyone has told me I'll be lucky if my Whirlpool lasts me 10 years - technician, sales person. They all said you must buy an extended warranty because the digital machines are expensive to fix. Its crazy considering how expensive the machines are !

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 10:26 am
That's funny because I got my Speed Queen from Town Appliance, and it's not digital to the best of my knowledge....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry