Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Unusual idioms, and mistakes about them

MitzadSheini

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 1:35 am
So I was thinking the mistake in my username (which is REALLY annoying me now and I may have to get changed, even though you all said it's ok) and my expression in another thread of "as the crow flies" which revealed me as a "foreigner" (what on earth does that mean on an international website??) and I was reminded of other mistakes / idioms in various languages.

For example I remembered that for many years thought that there was a single Hebrew word "yecholiot" which meant "could be". It's really 2 words. (a friend thought I should suggest it to the Hebrew Language Academy as a new word....)

Anyway.... Anyone got any more interesting mistakes to share?

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 1:45 am
"As the crow flies" is not a foreign expression. See http://idioms.thefreedictionar.....flies .

Many idioms don't work once they're translated. There are many examples on this site where people try to explain Yiddish phrases.

heidi

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 2:04 am
A lot of times people post, "I could care less"-- which really means, I care a lot. The expression is "I couldn't care less."

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 5:16 am
As the crow flies means the direct distance between two places ignoring traffic and roads.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 2:04 pm
make a beeline ... to where dunno I always thought bees fly crooked ... but apparently crows have the best GPS for short roots

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 3:21 pm
As the crows fly isn't a weird expression- I've heard it being used several times.

"Foreigner" means anyone out of NY. So if it's not typical for a Brooklynite to use it, it must be "foreign".
Seriously- "OOT" signifies ANYWHERE else is not a normal place to live, ie we all have cars on cement blocks in our front yards, live with sheep, chickens and goats, and milk our own cows daily before walking 3 miles to a country school where we are basically illiterate and are no way as educated as our erudite cousins in Brooklyn. Oh and don't forget we all know how to drive tractors before a car. Rolling Eyes
Yes, people have assumed that about me. And at that time I lived in a city that wasn't unknown, and might I add no one had cars parked on cinder blocks or had goats. I have lived in many cities in my life and Brooklyn is not my favorite. (Not saying that I live or don't live there now. But I do like other places better...).
And totally hate the New Yorker cartoon about the map of the country from a NYers perspective...so true IME but so annoying!

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 3:22 pm
Blind as a bat- I believe they see as well as we do at night but because they need to hunt they have echolocation. They aren't so blind!

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 3:37 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
As the crows fly isn't a weird expression- I've heard it being used several times.

"Foreigner" means anyone out of NY. So if it's not typical for a Brooklynite to use it, it must be "foreign".

yeah that was me & I am most certainly not a typical brooklynite - and not just because I moved oot - but because I also lived on a farm ~ MOO !!!

I simply never heard that expression so I thought it might be 'foreign' as from a different country with a zexy accent Wink

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 3:38 pm
what about being regardless about irregardless

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Jul 08 2016, 3:44 pm
greenfire wrote:
yeah that was me & I am most certainly not a typical brooklynite - and not just because I moved oot - but because I also lived on a farm ~ MOO !!!

I simply never heard that expression so I thought it might be 'foreign' as from a different country with a zexy accent Wink

Didn't realize you wrote that. (Of course you aren't typical Brooklyn with your green hair!!). But you are right- anything can sound better with a good accent!

I just get annoyed when one city is the standard/ norm for the world.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics