Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Multidirectional -- has the sheitel world gone mad?!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 2:52 pm
Have you tried hanging it upside down, and blow drying the crown? You move the blow dryer around a lot to keep a part from forming anywhere, and it gives you the height you want, while still looking natural. Once it's dry, then you can style the ends if you want curl, or a flip.

Aliexpress makes sheitels to order, and you can request extra full volume, and a left or right part. I believe you have 45 days to exchange them, as per the website's terms of use. If you use Paypal, you definitely have 45 days.

They are WAY cheaper, if you don't mind ordering before you can touch the hair. You can choose between Chinese hair (cheaper) or Mongolian hair (more expensive, but much closer to Caucasian hair.) Browns are the easiest to get in virgin hair. Any other color must be processed and dyed to match the swatches.

Email several companies, and go with a company that emails you back and talks to you about what you want. Not every company has the best customer service, but some of them are really excellent.

You can even use the top search bar for "Kosher Mongolian Wigs" if you need to avoid Indian hair. The Chinese companies know their frum clientelle very well, and want to foster a good relationship with their customers.

Before you buy anything, check the feedback on the company first! (Just like you would with Ebay.)

ML

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 4:07 pm
Thank you for the detailed reply. This is exactly my point. I don't want a sheitel I have to turn upside down, blow dry differently, etc. This is only "fighting" with the wig's natural tendency.

The monodirectional (NON-multidirectional open-wefted top) wigs are sewn in standing outwards away from the scalp -- even the side temple areas stand out by running your fingers through it & have tons of body on top -- no need for special blowdrying, teasing, hairspray, etc. It's like the perfectly coiffed synthetic wigs that you used to buy the style and it came exactly like that -- only human hair for the longevity. Doing all these tricks is just going against the natural flat, close-to-the head wig that you pay all that extra $ for.

The reason these frum sheitel companies are only making those very expensive multidirectional wigs now is because they think that's what we all want. When really, most women I talk to don't have any idea about what's happened to the sheitel market. They have such great quality, full-body mamash beautiful Virgin European hair that's going to waste by being expensively handsewn into these expensive skin tops, so they'll lay flat & have a well-defined part. If they took that high-quality hair & put it into open-wefted tops (like they used to until recently), we could resume buying top-quality at a more affordable price (exact same high-quality hair that now costs $2,000 & up can be purchased for less than half the price if you didn't have to pay for the handmade close-to-the-head skin top w/the part.

I now only own one sheitel -- I constantly have to tease it up, use tons of hairspray making it necessary to wash & set more often, which gradually takes out more hair & affects sheitel's wear -- all because I'm fighting my sheitel's natural tendency (to lay flat against the head, with a defined part, looking more "natural").

If women were more educated (which I recently became) about these sheitel's we could get the frum companies to bring back the top-quality hair in a low-cost top (which is actually so much more beautiful than your natural hair could ever be) & make this Mitzvah more financially manageable, without having a specific "look" rammed down our throats, because it's in style to have casual hair.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 4:14 pm
Aliexpress wigs are also cheaper, because they are only hand sewn at the top. The rest is machine sewn, open weft tracks (old school).

I forgot to mention, you can also specify if you want curl, and how much curl. Everything from stick straight to tight corkscrews. They really do work with you!

Prices tend to range from $500 to $800, depending on length and amount of hair you want. Really long ones rarely go over $1,200, so overall you're looking at at least half the price of the name brand ones.

pointyshoes

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 4:39 pm
ML wrote:
without having a specific "look" rammed down our throats, because it's in style to have casual hair.

Many women do want casual hair and I dont think any style is being rammed down anyone's throat. Nobody's being forced to wear their hair in a certain style.
There were many good tips given on this thread for you and anyone else who wishes to follow.

cnc

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:01 pm
pointyshoes wrote:
Many women do want casual hair and I dont think any style is being rammed down anyone's throat. Nobody's being forced to wear their hair in a certain style.
There were many good tips given on this thread for you and anyone else who wishes to follow.

This. I think that it's the women in the OPs age range that may want what she is looking for.
I can guarantee you that most people in my circles are looking for what they're selling. They're not interested in a wig that screams wig from a mile away. All my wigs are multidirectional and I spend in the $1000 range.

Op- try Georgie or Yaffa or Judy . They may have what you're looking for.

ML

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:03 pm
Those women who do want very casual hair can continue paying the current exorbitant price for their casual-topped hair.

Which doesn't mean all the people whose faces don't fit this new expensive casual-topped hair should be eliminated from the market. These "tips" that were offered are very hard on these sheitels (they wear out so much faster too) -- they don't look nearly as good (believe me, I know, that's what I'm doing now) when they are forced to do what they were not designed to do AND we have to pay sooo much more for -- for a sheitel that's designed in the opposite way we need, so we have to abuse them, need new ones sooner -- all because we have no options because we were squeezed out of the market.

cnc

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:06 pm
ML wrote:
Those women who do want very casual hair can continue paying the current exorbitant price for their casual-topped hair.

Which doesn't mean all the people whose faces don't fit this new expensive casual-topped hair should be eliminated from the market. These "tips" that were offered are very hard on these sheitels (they wear out so much faster too) -- they don't look nearly as good (believe me, I know, that's what I'm doing now) when they are forced to do what they were not designed to do AND we have to pay sooo much more for -- for a sheitel that's designed in the opposite way we need, so we have to abuse them, need new ones sooner -- all because we have no options because we were squeezed out of the market.

I don't think you're squeezed out of the market. These options still exist. One sheitel macher here caters to that age clientele and sells them - the companies above that I mentioned.

If you want to post your location I can provide you with her number if applicable.

cnc

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:08 pm
Would you consider synthetics?
Noriko has beautiful pieces that look like human hair and are as you describe.

ML

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:12 pm
Georgie, Judy, Yaffa, Frieda, Clary's, Shevy's, et al have all discontinued non-multidirectional sheitels. We can no longer buy affordable best-quality hair sheitels that we need anymore, as long as this choice has been taken away from us.

ML

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:17 pm
Should not have to be forced to get synthetic when we just want the beautiful top quality hair the frum sheitel companies provide w/the affordable construction we used to get. Yes, we were squeezed out of the market when all the companies carrying this hair have discontinued the affordable construction.

cnc

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:17 pm
ML wrote:
Georgie, Judy, Yaffa, Frieda, Clary's, Shevy's, et al have all discontinued non-multidirectional sheitels. We can no longer buy affordable best-quality hair sheitels that we need anymore, as long as this choice has been taken away from us.

Did you come here just to vent or for actual advice?

pointyshoes

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:21 pm
Find out what Oprah uses- hers are like you want

ML

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:29 pm
I'm not venting when I can serve as a catalyst for positive change. We can affect the market when we can influence the price of our beautiful sheitels -- why should we be forced to pay such an extremely high price (many, many having to borrow from Gmach's just to buy a sheitel which we used to be able to afford until very recently) for the top quality hair that has now been limited to only the wealthy customers because our choices have been eliminated.

cnc

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:31 pm
ML wrote:
I'm not venting when I can serve as a catalyst for positive change. We can affect the market when we can influence the price of our beautiful sheitels -- why should we be forced to pay such an extremely high price (many, many having to borrow from Gmach's just to buy a sheitel which we used to be able to afford until very recently) for the top quality hair that has now been limited to only the wealthy customers because our choices have been eliminated.

OOC, how much did you pay for your wigs?

ML

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:33 pm
Oprah's hair is not what I want. I just want our top quality virgin European hair that the frum companies sell in the affordable caps that we used to buy from them just last year until we were squeezed out our market.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:34 pm
you sound like a whiny, petulant child.

cnc

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:34 pm
ML wrote:
Oprah's hair is not what I want. I just want our top quality virgin European hair that the frum companies sell in the affordable caps that we used to buy from them just last year until we were squeezed out our market.

Areally we paying so much more for the wig because of the cap? I was always under the impression that the hair is the greatest expense.

ML

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:40 pm
Yes. We are paying for the cap. The handmade skin top is a very labor-intensive construction. It's very exclusionary to take that hair and now limit it to the very wealthy who look good in flat, casual hair when it used to be available to all of us.

pointyshoes

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:43 pm
oliveoil wrote:
you sound like a whiny, petulant child.

Finally someone said it

cnc

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:46 pm
ML wrote:
Yes. We are paying for the cap. The handmade skin top is a very labor-intensive construction. It's very exclusionary to take that hair and now limit it to the very wealthy who look good in flat, casual hair when it used to be available to all of us.

My skintops are not handmade.
I think you're mixing up a bunch of different points here.

BTW you can get multidirectional top wigs for 600...so I'm pretty sure that the price is based on the hair type not the cap type.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels