Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Multidirectional -- has the sheitel world gone mad?!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

ML

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 8:58 pm
If you pay $600 for a skin top wig, it's because it's lower quality hair put in the expensive skin top. You used to be able to get the very best quality hair & a lot of it in a completely open weft top for a LOT less than you pay now for that quality hair in a skin top.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 9:45 pm
cnc wrote:
Areally we paying so much more for the wig because of the cap? I was always under the impression that the hair is the greatest expense.

A large part of the cost must be the cap and sewing the hair in the 'skin top'. I just added tons of hair to a sheitel - went from bald to full (not the front, but sides and back) and it was a small fraction of what a similar new sheitel would have cost me. I was shocked at what I got for the money.

cnc wrote:
My skintops are not handmade.

Are you sure. When I added hair to my sheitel the sides and backs are the cheapest because they just sew in wefts and charge you for each.
Adding hair to the front is much more money because each hair has to be knotted it. The labor was very expensive.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:02 am
If you buy a full wig with lots of volume (like Irenes LV and VIP line) all you need to do is add baby hair to the entire multi and viola! You have popping height with no effort at all. I've done it to many wigs for middle aged clients.

I can also tell you that the non multi directionals were a pain to deal with. Impossible to style.

With the multis you just need to get the right kind of wig. It's definitely possible to find full pieces.

Drying a wig upside down, in no way ruins the wig.

I think you are looking to vent and that's perfectly ok.

ML

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:45 am
There's nothing like a non-multidirectional open weft top wig w/the body on top where you need it -- fluff it up w/your fingers & it stays -- don't need spray & you can brush it completely back w/no part & make those youthful bumps w/headband like those young kallahs. And most of all, you can have loads of the highest quality hair for a fraction of the price of paying for something that's only a hindrance. Drying a sheitel upside down does not do that.

pointyshoes

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:56 am
ML wrote:
There's nothing like a non-multidirectional open weft top wig w/the body on top where you need it -- fluff it up w/your fingers & it stays -- don't need spray & you can brush it completely back w/no part & make those youthful bumps w/headband like those young kallahs. And most of all, you can have loads of the highest quality hair for a fraction of the price of paying for something that's only a hindrance. Drying a sheitel upside down does not do that.

We heard you

asmileaday

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:02 am
Supply is influenced by demand. Obviously there isn't enough of a market.
You can't change the world.
Your only option seems to be to become a manufacturer of these wigs.
Good luck!

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:04 am
pointyshoes wrote:
We heard you

seriously!

imaima

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 7:02 am
I know several people who make wigs to measure - why don't you order by one of those? it shouldn't be expensive if a wof is all machine made

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 7:24 am
Op, look at the very long thread called "feeling left out because of my sheitel" or something like that. A lot of people are ordering wigs from a site linked there, where you can get the "highest quality hair" that you want, at a better price.

I do want to tell you that the name of your thread, combined with the replies that you are giving, is a bit off putting. I am not a sheitel wearer, I quit wigs 3 years ago. But you are implying that everyone who wants a more realistic, modern, and trendy wig is "mad"/crazy, whatever. You have every right to your preference, but no need to put others preferences down.

ML

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 8:56 am
Again, I'm not putting anyone down who wants to pay outrageous prices for flat nonstyled hair -- I'm opposed to the exclusionary influence on our frum sheitel market that recently outpriced our high quality hair from the frum companies we depend on.

When I would wear my last "no-part" full-body high-quality sheitel, I got so many compliments from so many women who asked "why can't I get a sheitel like that anymore?," to which I replied "because our favorite great quality sheitel companies stopped making them." They're all around $2,000 now because of their flat limited skin tops.

I guess the only option is to try to get other women to call our frum sheitel companies (I originally thought this would be a good forum for that -- affordable high-quality sheitels is a valuable goal for Klal Yisroel).

cnc

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:02 am
ML wrote:
Again, I'm not putting anyone down who wants to pay outrageous prices for flat nonstyled hair -- I'm opposed to the exclusionary influence on our frum sheitel market that recently outpriced our high quality hair from the frum companies we depend on.

When I would wear my last "no-part" full-body high-quality sheitel, I got so many compliments from so many women who asked "why can't I get a sheitel like that anymore?," to which I replied "because our favorite great quality sheitel companies stopped making them." They're all around $2,000 now because of their flat limited skin tops.

I guess the only option is to try to get other women to call our frum sheitel companies (I originally thought this would be a good forum for that -- affordable high-quality sheitels is a valuable goal for Klal Yisroel).

You seem very insistent on just saying your piece and not listening to anyone's response.

Sheitels are not all $2000 now. I would never spend that price. You can get Rubi for around 700. Bellas for around 1200. Irene's for 1k. Esther Arons for 1k. These are the prices that I spend.

I don't plan on calling out sheitel companies for making multidirectional skin tops. I have no interest in wearing a wig similar to my grandmother. Also when I spend money on a wig I want the style to be versatile I don't want to be tied down to one specific style for 5 or 6 years because the part can't be moved.

miami85

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:04 am
Did you try Mazali? I'm admittedly not well versed in sheitals, but I bought mine for less than $600 a few years ago and I'm still happy with it.

MamaBear

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:11 am
Please, I beg you, post a pick of your highly coveted no part, thick, unmovable, affordable, soon to be obsolete sheitel. You can cover up your face for privacy. I am so intrigued.

shacn

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:21 am
maybe you need an all hand tied.

ML

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:26 am
"No-part" sheitels are much more versatile sheitel's than "multidirectional." The only thing changeable about a multidirectional is the part (which isn't so easy). "No-part full-body sheitels are not "grandmother sheitels." Look at just a couple of years ago's kallahs with the shoulder length bump & headband on top -- you can't get that versatility w/a multidirectional. The youthful modern hairstyles that brush over their parts -- not a "multidirectional."

I'm not appealing to the frum sheitel companies to stop making the overpriced skin-topped sheitels -- just not to remove all other options which outprices the market.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:40 am
I have no idea which multi directional wigs you have seen. Seems like another species to me.

The ones I work with (the good quality ones, I'll admit some of the cheaper ones have a stiffer flatter multi -but only some) have an extremely versatile multi. No need for any parts. You can wear it up, down, high, flat, right part, left part, middle part, no part etc...

Wigs are expensive. Period. The multi is only a part of the cost. I don't manufacture but I've had multis replaced in wigs and they costed about $300 - $500, and you were able to get it by a Chinese lady for $150.

shacn

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:43 am
Why don't you wear a fall with an iband? That'll give you that look.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:44 am
ML wrote:
(I originally thought this would be a good forum for that -- affordable high-quality sheitels is a valuable goal for Klal Yisroel).

I'm so sorry but it seems like nobody shares your angst about the multi.

We all share your angst though about wig prices being high in general.

But I think that has a lot to do with supply and demand. And the general increase of everything in this world.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:47 am
Op is clearly venting and not wanting suggestions. Thats ok, but op, tell us.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:54 am
watergirl wrote:
Op is clearly venting and not wanting suggestions. Thats ok, but op, tell us.

She doesn't want suggestions.
She did tell us what she wants.
She wants everyone to call the wig companies to try to get the non multi wigs back into production. Unfortunately not too many wig wearers want that kind of wig.

If there is any site that gives you a large percentage of wig wearers- this would be it.

So op I feel bad for you but I think you're stuck.

If you want to help yourself, there are many good suggestions mentioned.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels