Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Multidirectional -- has the sheitel world gone mad?!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

ML

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 7:03 am
I'm not looking for a personal solution. I wouldn't have addressed such a public forum for that. I used myself as an example of one of those being priced out of the frum sheitel market (needing a professional sheitel for work, etc.). Completely eliminating the machine-made open-wefted sheitel cap from the major sheitel companies raises the price of the entire sheitel market and forces our major frum sheitel companies to exclusively focus on only the highest price sheitels.

nylon

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 7:43 am
Given that I am reliably informed that the price of hair has gone up in recent years how can you be sure that all the increase is from the cap?

I'm not a sheitel wearer but it seems to me that if there were such a big market for the old style of cap that companies would be manufacturing it. If the new caps are so expensive and more labor intensive, then the higher list price doesn't amount to higher profit for the sheitel macher.

It seems to me that wearers today largely prefer the flat look because it is less obviously "wiggy" and doesn't make a 22 year old kallah look like she is in her 30s.

ML

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 8:06 am
People don't ask for last-year's style cap because they're not so versed in the technicalities of wig construction. When the prices soar or the only lower-priced wigs are because their's less hair or inferior hair, they don't know. Or when it takes more work & hairspray to get their sheitels to do what they used to do easily w/out need for spray, they don't know why, they just think that's how they make them now, and the sheitels they know work for them are discontinued. No-part sheitels are not more "wiggy" looking, they're just more balanced for the head shape that needs more body on top or who can't wear the flattened hair. The non jews never knew that I ever wore a wig, they just told me how they wished they had my hair & would go get body waves & use all those new mousse products & "hair-fatteners" to get hair more like "mine."

Laiya

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 8:18 am
OP, I'm trying to understand what you're describing, and this is the picture that keeps popping into my mind. If this is not it, I'm really not sure what you mean.

https://www.paulayoung.com/pro.....om=fn

chavipanda

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 8:18 am
Do you live in New York, by chance? I was once talking to Claire Grunefeld at Claire Accuhair in Midwood and she was talking about how the trend now is away from flexible wigs that can part it different ways, accommodate natural looks etc. At any rate, she creates and styles plenty of wigs that might fit what you're looking for.

ML

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 8:37 am
OP, I'm trying to understand what you're describing, and this is the picture that keeps popping into my mind. If this is not it, I'm really not sure what you mean.

https://www.paulayoung.com/pro.....mp

-- No, not at all. I'm talking about (for example) all-one-length shoulder-length straight hair, pulled out at the temples (shows earrings) (maybe w/a cowlick on top) brushed over the part, body on top, versatile brushover part (not flat, pushed-down hair).

ML

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 8:40 am
-- No, not at all. I'm talking about (for example) all-one-length shoulder-length straight hair, pulled out at the temples (shows earrings) (maybe w/a cowlick on top) brushed over the part, body on top, versatile brushover part (not flat, pushed-down hair). --- Brushed over part or brushed back w/no part (& it stays).

sky

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:06 am
I had a non multi directional sheitel when I first got married (Freeda, not very cheap, gorgeous hair) and hated it.

synthetics will probably give you what you are looking for.

ML

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:10 am
Do you live in New York, by chance? I was once talking to Claire Grunefeld at Claire Accuhair in Midwood and she was talking about how the trend now is away from flexible wigs that can part it different ways, accommodate natural looks etc. At any rate, she creates and styles plenty of wigs that might fit what you're looking for.

-- Thank you. But special orders would not affect the sheitel market prices to give women affordable options. (Incidentally, flexible part wigs are not at all flexible -- just the part [if a professional does it w/effort] -- no-part wigs are much more flexible -- brush it anywhich way, including brushed back).

ML

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:16 am
I'm not talking about synthetic wigs. I'm talking about luxurious top-quality European hair w/lots of body in a machine-made open-weft top (not needing part) -- like we just had last year. And I'm not looking just for myself (using myself as an example), special orders, etc. I would only address this public forum if I thought (mistakenly) the frum companies could be influenced to keep making what they did last year so we don't resort to exclusionary pricing in our major frum sheitel companies (which is what most of the major sheitel machers deal with).

sky

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:17 am
I'm thinking about my daughter's hair. Even if I brush it back it typically falls into a natural part. Only if pinned back it doesn't show a part.

Perhaps contact someone who makes wigs like Elisheva in Lakewood. It cost me about 400 to add hair to an old sheitel that was practically bald in wefts only. Based on that price it shouldn't be too expensive to make an all weft wig if there is no sewing the front hair.

ML

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:37 am
Thank you again for the personal suggestions, but I'm not looking for a personal special option -- I was trying to affect the frum market by not having all that beautiful hair sewn exclusively into "part-only" expensive caps. (Incidentally, your daughter's hair falls into a natural part because it's "multidirectional" -- the flaw that the multidirectional cap is trying to imitate in natural hair -- that's why the open-weft-machine-made cap is an improvement over natural hair because it doesn't just fall into a part or in your face if you don't want it to).

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:39 am
Op - maybe you can become the exclusive sheitel macher/company of this type of sheitel!!!! I am so serious!!! Talk to people who have done this. I bet with research, you can totally make this happen and people will love you for it!! Usually its when someone sees a gaping hole in a market - as you clearly do - THATS exactly where the good ideas come from!

Find out where this high quality, European, virgin hair comes from and create your own line! Or maybe talk to some of these smaller sheitel machers and see if someone would be willing to allow you to buy in to her line, create your own sub-line - and you will have the factory all set!

Last edited by watergirl on Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Orchid

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:39 am
ML wrote:
-- No, not at all. I'm talking about (for example) all-one-length shoulder-length straight hair, pulled out at the temples (shows earrings) (maybe w/a cowlick on top) brushed over the part, body on top, versatile brushover part (not flat, pushed-down hair). --- Brushed over part or brushed back w/no part (& it stays).

Am I the only one that has no idea what OP is talking about?

OP, can you post a picture? It sounds like, while this may be your personal taste, it's not something most people want to wear. Hair down and straight but reveals the temples? I just can't visualize this AT ALL.

newmammy

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:40 am
Can you please share a picture of the look you are describing?
I'm having a hard time imaging it, all the 'old style' wigs I can think of either have a part or are brushed forward (pixie style).

ML

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:54 am
Op - maybe you can become the exclusive sheitel macher/company of this type of sheitel!!!! I am so serious!!! Talk to people who have done this. I bet with research, you can totally make this happen and people will love you for it!! Usually its when someone sees a gaping hole in a market - as you clearly do - THATS exactly where the good ideas come from!

Find out where this high quality, European, virgin hair comes from and create your own line! Or maybe talk to some of these smaller sheitel machers and see if someone would be willing to allow you to buy in to her line, create your own sub-line - and you will have the factory all set!

-- Thank you so much for the kind suggestion. I'm not trying to create something new -- I'm just advocating for the current frum sheitel companies to avoid destroying what they had -- they're the ones w/high-quality hair & work w/our sheitel machers all over the country. If they can be convinced to avoid destroying what they had, we can have affordable high-quality options in our community again. And most people don't know what's going on in their sheitel enough to ask these frum companies to avoid destroying our affordable market. So much simpler than opening up a new company to give us what we had -- better leave that to them.

yogabird

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:58 am
ML wrote:

-- Thank you so much for the kind suggestion. I'm not trying to create something new -- I'm just advocating for the current frum sheitel companies to avoid destroying what they had -- they're the ones w/high-quality hair & work w/our sheitel machers all over the country. If they can be convinced to avoid destroying what they had, we can have affordable high-quality options in our community again. And most people don't know what's going on in their sheitel enough to ask these frum companies to avoid destroying our affordable market. So much simpler than opening up a new company to give us what we had -- better leave that to them.

Most people want the high quality hair PLUS the natural look.

And that's why sheitel companies are selling these types of wigs; because that's what consumers are demanding.

If the goal of a wig is to resemble natural hair as closely as possible, today's wigs are doing a way better job than ever. I don't understand how anyone can make a claim to the contrary.

ceebee

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:20 am
https://www.instagram.com/p/BI.....hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/BG.....hl=en

Do you mean something like this? These wigs have height and volume on the top. I don't see any skin top.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:29 am
yogabird wrote:
Most people want the high quality hair PLUS the natural look.

And that's why sheitel companies are selling these types of wigs; because that's what consumers are demanding.

If the goal of a wig is to resemble natural hair as closely as possible, today's wigs are doing a way better job than ever. I don't understand how anyone can make a claim to the contrary.

The OP seems to think that what she wants is "natural" but what she's describing is anything but that. She seems to think that anything other than the headband + bump look is "flat, messy, unprofessional, bed-head."

miami85

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:29 am
ML wrote:

Still not completely getting it, please post a picture
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels