Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Office job salary
Previous  1  2  3  Next

sky

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 10:02 am
amother wrote:
what would you think my salary should be though? I came into the company over 6 yrs ago with one main responsibility and my responsibilities have accumulated over the yrs but with a very small raise (all together, not each yr). So what I do now is completely different from when I started. The reason y I really would like to know is because I feel like I am being taken advantage of at work and lately it has been effecting my families life too... and I am considering looking for a different job..

Most Jobs won't automatically just give raises. You have to ask.
If you want a raise: I'd come up with a list of your current responsibilities, what you've accomplished, positive changes that you made. Setup a meeting with your boss telling him you want a raise based on your work, have a number and go in and discuss it all and see what happens. (Do not discuss your family)
If you want to cut your workload: setup a meeting, have ready your original job description and your current responsibilities and see what can be cut.
If you want a new job then start looking and see what is available in your expected salary.

I'm not in NY and not involved in office jobs so I don't know what salaries are. I'm sorry I can't help with that.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 10:27 am
sky wrote:

If you want a new job then start looking and see what is available in your expected salary.

I'm not in NY and not involved in office jobs so I don't know what salaries are. I'm sorry I can't help with that.

its really not that simple, which is why I posted here in the first place.

Most job offers have a really long list of requirements, but nothing abt salary.
if im just putting out feelers, I dont want to be sending out my resume to a bunch of random ppl. (the 2-3 ppl that did respond, told me their paying $13 an hour. I kid u not.)

thats why I appreciate that HonestToGod input.

(I agree with everything else u wrote tho)

cm

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 10:30 am
You could try salary.com or any of the job-finding websites to get an idea of the numbers.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 10:33 am
cm wrote:
You could try salary.com or any of the job-finding websites to get an idea of the numbers.

I tried.. I dont know if its accurate tho, thats y I came here Smile to get real ppl answers Smile

sky

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 10:40 am
amother wrote:
its really not that simple, which is why I posted here in the first place.

Most job offers have a really long list of requirements, but nothing abt salary.
if im just putting out feelers, I dont want to be sending out my resume to a bunch of random ppl. (the 2-3 ppl that did respond, told me their paying $13 an hour. I kid u not.)

thats why I appreciate that HonestToGod input.

(I agree with everything else u wrote tho)

I'm in Lakewood. A family member of mine just tried getting a job for a long time. Most jobs were paying well under $20. She had at least 6 years experience in SEO, Amazon, web site marketplaces, etc. Most companies can easily train a single girl out of seminary willing and happy to work $13 for a few years - at that stage they don't have to worry about them stressing about their family life, summer time, eruv yom tov, sick kids, etc, so they don't mind taking inexperienced for less money. Unless you have a very marketable skill its a very tough market.
If were you are is decent it may make sense to try to get him to increase your salary or decrease your work load. If they see you are a valuable employee they may be happy to invest in you. Sometimes what you know is better than the unknown.

(when I mentioned the low raises before I meant those as 'automatic'. larger raises are possible, they just have to be asked for )

I'm sorry I can't advice you on what to ask. But can you pick a number that you would be happy working at and go in when negotiating your salary with that number and see what happens.

watergirl

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 10:49 am
OP, are you asking about a normal office job? Or a job only in a frum company? I think this may be the issue you are having, in which case the link to payscale.com will not help you at all. Frum offices get away with all sorts of shtick that you will never see in the real world.

Please tell us, what EXACTLY are you looking for?

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 11:46 am
cm wrote:
These percentages are astounding. Are you sure about this?

In my industry, annual raises are never more than 4%, usually 2-2.5%.

I said that it varies.

My boss gives anywhere from 5%-30%.
My mil got a 50% raise when she asked.

It also depends how long you have been working there, when the last raise was, what the average salary is for your job and whether you are getting below that or not.

I said several times in my posts it all varies. The op has given no hint to her actual job, what the work is that she does, etc. It makes it hard to just guess which is why I said varies.

To the op that said about projects and not getting overtime, people working on salary make it much harder to get overtime.
In my office we all get paid hourly because many of the jobs are based on project so therefore we bill clients by the hour and pay employees by the hour. We do get overtime past 40 hour p.w.

The laws regarding salary based are different. If you are unhappy go speak to your boss. Come up with some ideas that may help for example: $x per week up to x hours if you work over that you get $x extra. Or ask to switch to hourly. WHich has its cons too.

These things are so vastly different in many many offices because there are so many different types of employers, employees, jobs, environments etc.

A friend of mine has the same position as me in an office. Two different fields though. She gets way more benefits than I do. Her boss is also more established, has a much larger business and his financials are way higher than my boss because of the different industries. So she gets all these benefits, great salary, but only 3-5% raise (they can ask up to once a year for a raise doesn't mean they get it).
I don't get very many benefits at all, but I get at least 10% raise (also up to once a year).

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 11:54 am
sky wrote:
I'm in Lakewood. A family member of mine just tried getting a job for a long time. Most jobs were paying well under $20. She had at least 6 years experience in SEO, Amazon, web site marketplaces, etc. Most companies can easily train a single girl out of seminary willing and happy to work $13 for a few years - at that stage they don't have to worry about them stressing about their family life, summer time, eruv yom tov, sick kids, etc, so they don't mind taking inexperienced for less money. Unless you have a very marketable skill its a very tough market.
If were you are is decent it may make sense to try to get him to increase your salary or decrease your work load. If they see you are a valuable employee they may be happy to invest in you. Sometimes what you know is better than the unknown.

(when I mentioned the low raises before I meant those as 'automatic'. larger raises are possible, they just have to be asked for )

I'm sorry I can't advice you on what to ask. But can you pick a number that you would be happy working at and go in when negotiating your salary with that number and see what happens.

just to be clear.. im the op amother seashell and then theres amother pumpkin Smile
I actually work in the ecommerce business.. im not trying to decrease my workload, id rather add to it if it means being challenged and getting paid accordingly.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 12:00 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
I said that it varies.

It also depends how long you have been working there, when the last raise was, what the average salary is for your job and whether you are getting below that or not.

I said several times in my posts it all varies. The op has given no hint to her actual job, what the work is that she does, etc. It makes it hard to just guess which is why I said varies.

To the op that said about projects and not getting overtime, people working on salary make it much harder to get overtime.
In my office we all get paid hourly because many of the jobs are based on project so therefore we bill clients by the hour and pay employees by the hour. We do get overtime past 40 hour p.w.

The laws regarding salary based are different. If you are unhappy go speak to your boss. Come up with some ideas that may help for example: $x per week up to x hours if you work over that you get $x extra. Or ask to switch to hourly. WHich has its cons too.

These things are so vastly different in many many offices because there are so many different types of employers, employees, jobs, environments etc.

A friend of mine has the same position as me in an office. Two different fields though. She gets way more benefits than I do. Her boss is also more established, has a much larger business and his financials are way higher than my boss because of the different industries. So she gets all these benefits, great salary, but only 3-5% raise (they can ask up to once a year for a raise doesn't mean they get it).
I don't get very many benefits at all, but I get at least 10% raise (also up to once a year).

I apologize for the confusion.. im the op amother seashell and then theres amother pumpkin...
My job is in the ecommerce business.. im not trying to decrease my workload, id rather add to it if it means being challenged and getting paid accordingly. So im not the poster who wrote about projects and not getting overtime.

I was asking because I really didnt know any of the basics of how these things work..

sorry for the confusion! and thanks for your input!

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 12:05 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
I said that it varies.

and even though $15 - $25 may seem like a broad range to you, narrowing down the numbers helped me, especially since you elaborated a lot..

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 12:12 pm
I have worked at my current job for the last 2 years ebay amazon listing/ sending orders...
How much is the normal salary for that in monsey

amother
Red

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 12:47 pm
amother wrote:
I've been working for 6 yrs for the same company for full time. It's a commercial mortgage company with abt 30 employees (mostly brokers). My responsibilities include database management and really anything to do with the database including working on different projects to customize the system. I also import data from different vendors into our database. I also do lead distribution and data entry on the brokers deal information... Also some random things here and there... And there's no one else that does the exact same thing as me... Although there is someone that does do some of it when needed- but def not the database stuff...

I am in Brooklyn and have a similar job to you. I started out with $20 an hour.
Im with this comapny for 2 years and recently asked for a raise plus insurance. My boss was willing to give a raise for $25 an hour but not insurance.

I feel very stuck because I love my job but I feel like I am working only to pay work expenses.
Babysitter, traveling expenses, taxes, and insurance (if I wouldn't work I would be eligible for medicaid)
After all this I come home with pennies...

Anyone had such an experience and can help me out with advice?

Amother Pumpkin how much do you make? Do you get insurance?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 1:50 pm
amother wrote:
Im with this comapny for 2 years and recently asked for a raise plus insurance. My boss was willing to give a raise for $25 an hour but not insurance.

I feel very stuck because I love my job but I feel like I am working only to pay work expenses.
Babysitter, traveling expenses, taxes, and insurance (if I wouldn't work I would be eligible for medicaid)

My salary is less than $35,000 and get a large bonus at yr end (which is obviously not guaranteed) I get not insurance or any other benefit. Also its cheaper for the employer to give a large bonus rather than a raise for tax reasons but because of that a huge percentage of my bonus goes straight to uncle sam! the issue I am having is that I came in at a very entry level job when the company was new... but 6+ yrs later the company has grown and my responsibilities have grown tremendously. and my boss doesnt really know what I do nor does he care (which is the biggest part of the problem!) I have zero contact with the boss, theres someone in btwn us who I am assuming makes a much greater salary than I am but is still in the same boat as far as the boss not knowing or caring what he does! the dynamics in the company r pretty terrible (yes, its a frum office!) if I were to discuss any raise... I would have to discuss it with him, not my boss and then he would request it for me... but since hes in the same boat with the boss not knowing and caring... it puts me in a very stuck position... also, the guy above me is kind of a workoholic and just stays in the office late till he decides when o call it a day...(again, doesnt get compensated for that just like I dont). problem with that is is that I am a wife and mother and have other things to take care of... so I dont have the "luxury" to stay later- I have carpools to do.... I get all my work done (I work a small part of my hrs from home later at night) but when we are working on a project together he gets annoyed with I cant stay late all the time... lately I have had to make other arrangements for carpools and my kids in order to stay late, but I cant afford more help and my family has really been effected by this... im just at a point where I am just frustrated that I am working so hard but not getting anything in return...

thanks for letting me vent! its been a rough week! but if anyone has any comments/suggestions... feel free!

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Aug 05 2016, 2:03 pm
I checked with some individuals I know locally, I do not live in the tri state area. Part time working for an individual broker, 30 hrs is $35K pluss benefits, vacation, health ins. and a minimum yearly bonus of $1k. PT working for about 18-20 mtge brokers is about $52K with benefits. The annual bonus is a pot that all brokers pay into and on bad years it's never below 3k. These are not Jewish businesses if that makes any difference. All offer full religious accomodations (it's the law).

I have a friend who retired and went to work for a single real estate broker and she started at $38k plus benefits.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:
My salary is less than $35,000 and get a large bonus at yr end (which is obviously not guaranteed) I get not insurance or any other benefit. Also its cheaper for the employer to give a large bonus rather than a raise for tax reasons but because of that a huge percentage of my bonus goes straight to uncle sam! the issue I am having is that I came in at a very entry level job when the company was new... but 6+ yrs later the company has grown and my responsibilities have grown tremendously. and my boss doesnt really know what I do nor does he care (which is the biggest part of the problem!) I have zero contact with the boss, theres someone in btwn us who I am assuming makes a much greater salary than I am but is still in the same boat as far as the boss not knowing or caring what he does! the dynamics in the company r pretty terrible (yes, its a frum office!) if I were to discuss any raise... I would have to discuss it with him, not my boss and then he would request it for me... but since hes in the same boat with the boss not knowing and caring... it puts me in a very stuck position... also, the guy above me is kind of a workoholic and just stays in the office late till he decides when o call it a day...(again, doesnt get compensated for that just like I dont). problem with that is is that I am a wife and mother and have other things to take care of... so I dont have the "luxury" to stay later- I have carpools to do.... I get all my work done (I work a small part of my hrs from home later at night) but when we are working on a project together he gets annoyed with I cant stay late all the time... lately I have had to make other arrangements for carpools and my kids in order to stay late, but I cant afford more help and my family has really been effected by this... im just at a point where I am just frustrated that I am working so hard but not getting anything in return...

thanks for letting me vent! its been a rough week! but if anyone has any comments/suggestions... feel free!

If u were making a 30k a year, that would be around $20 an hour.. I make less than that Sad

based on what ppl said above u should be making more.. especially if u dont get benefits..

I know what its like to be frustrated.. I hope u get a raise!

do u get paid for yom tov/ chol hamoed?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 3:37 pm
amother wrote:
I have worked at my current job for the last 2 years ebay amazon listing/ sending orders...
How much is the normal salary for that in monsey

do u mind saying how much your current salary is? (or approximately?)

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 4:02 pm
OP - I'll ask again - are you asking about ANY type of office job? Or ONLY frum offices?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 4:04 pm
watergirl wrote:
OP - I'll ask again - are you asking about ANY type of office job? Or ONLY frum offices?

I apologize for not responding earlier.

my current employers are frum, and staying with the right salary makes more sense than leaving for a multitude of reasons, so im asking abt a frum office.

thanks

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 4:11 pm
amother wrote:
I apologize for not responding earlier.

my current employers are frum, and staying with the right salary makes more sense than leaving for a multitude of reasons, so im asking abt a frum office.

thanks

Got it. Are you so sure about that? I've worked in frum and not Jewish offices and the pay was better and the respect was way higher in a not frum office.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Aug 08 2016, 4:24 pm
amother wrote:

That is how working goes.

I also don't get benefits. I get paid less per hour than you. I work full time and I pretty much run the administration department of my company.

We are what is called the "middle class black hole" of America. And it sucks big time.
But even the $5 I have at the end of the week extra is worth it for me. And I hope as the years go by, I get my degree and I gain more experience and move up the ladder, I will get more to make it worth it for me.

Quote:
checked with some individuals know locally, do not live in the tri state area. Part time working for an individual broker, 30 hrs is $35K pluss benefits, vacation, health ins. and a minimum yearly bonus of $1k. PT working for about 18-20 mtge brokers is about $52K with benefits. The annual bonus is a pot that all brokers pay into and on bad years it's never below 3k. These are not Jewish businesses if that makes any difference. All offer full religious accomodations (it's the law).

have a friend who retired and went to work for a single real estate broker and she started at $38k plus benefits.

This is typical of a Non Jewish office. Frum companies seem to think we don't need anything at all. Also in general Frum firms are often smaller and therefore don't need to legally give anything. At all.

watergirl wrote:
Got it. Are you so sure about that? 've worked in frum and not Jewish offices and the pay was better and the respect was way higher in a not frum office.

This 1000%. My boss is Jewish but myself and him are the only people who are Jewish in the office.
My previous jobs were all with Frum business completely with frum coworkers and I hated them all. I get so much more respect of my position in the office by my Non Jewish coworkers than I did anywhere else.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics