Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Suggestions for how to explain...to my kids

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 6:44 pm
my Mashpia has arranged for me to go away for the first time EVER w/out my kids..

Granted, I had to call people and ask them please please take my kids.. b"H found people willing..

My mashpia will be like temporary emergency mom, if the kids have "issues."

How do I explain to my kids, that for a shabbos mommy is going away?? I do not want them to be worried... u know?

I feel nervous, but excited... Nervous because I know I will MISS them but enjoy the time off! I am a single mom, taking IY"H 2 other single mom's with me to a second time around single's event (whoa moouth full!).

shoshb

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 6:55 pm
You can tell them you're going to a "sleepaway camp" for Mommies. And focus more on how they'll be with their friends for the entire weekend, than that you'll be gone for the weekend.

red sea

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 6:57 pm
Will the kids be all together or in differenent houses? Can you make it into some type of adventure / vacation? . It may be easier if the kids want to go away for shabbos as a treat in the first place, then you can just say you'll go to some others mothers who kids went away for shabbos. Tell them you are going somewhere for mothers to help them and no kids will be there, they'll go to so & so who is just so excited to have company for shabbos & do this or that ith them, special shabbos party or whatever, good luck.

su7kids

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 7:20 pm
Why not tell them the truth, just as it is" Mommy's going away for Shabbos and you're going to have fun at XYZ's house. When we come back we can all share about our Shabbos."

I usually find "truth" is the winner.

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 7:31 pm
ditto to su7kids - no need to do otherwise ...

red sea

Post Sun, Aug 19 2007, 9:19 pm
Just to clarify what I said since maybe it came across wrong, I was just giving an idea for how to give over the truth in way it might be easier for the kids not to feel bad about it, not to suggest you alter the facts.

greentiger

Post Mon, Aug 20 2007, 2:42 am
My mother used to also go away (though very rarely) while we were growing up, and I jsut remember the idea of staying by a friend all shabbos being so exciting that you don't really focus on the particulars of why Mommy is going away. Just turn it into an exciting thing for them and you'll see they'll be looking forward to it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics