Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Yael Mermelstein's New Book for Tisha Bav and Beyond

booklover1

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 5:26 pm
Yael's new book, I Promise You, tells the epic true story of her grandmother's survival of the Holocaust. This groundbreaking Holocaust book is DIFFERENT than any you've read before. It's told in present tense, through the eyes of a teen and is a special read for adults and their teens.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 6:43 pm
I love everything Yael writes, so I'm very tempted to buy it.

However, I also know that I get terrible nightmares from reading anything Holocaust-related, so regretfully I think I'll have to skip this one.

NYCIMA

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 10:23 pm
My daughter read it & loved it! I'm hoping to read it on tisha b'av. It was probably pretty emotional for her to write...

thinking mom

Post Fri, Aug 12 2016, 2:39 am
I've read so many Holocaust books, but reading this one was a different experience. It's written in verse, these short, choppy sentences (like "Out of the Dust" if you read that in school), and it's from the point of view of a young teen. It pulls you into the experience in a very powerful way.
Yael grandmother is an extraordinary person, so it's uplifting too, and the writing is exquisite.
It wasn't always an easy read - Holocaust books never are - but it was so worth it.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 11:00 am
Excelent book to read on tisha baav

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 11:03 pm
I'm so late in posting this but I've got to say it is one tragic but incredible story. At first, I had a hard time getting into verse but then a strange thing happened, I got so sucked in and the experience of reading a book written in that form was unlike any other. The imagery, the rhythm, the realness of it all....I can only compare it to tasting a gourmet dish where sometimes it takes a few bites to grow on you but then it's like "WOW".

I read the bulk of the book on Tisha B'av and just finished between bedtimes of the last few nights.

Sure, it's a natural fit for Tisha B'av but as the poster titled this "beyond" I've got to say from a Chinuch perspective and from a place of introspection it changed me and it's certainly a treasure year round
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room