Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Second freezer or fridge?
1  2  Next

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 5:51 pm
I used to have a simple big fridge with freezer on top that would hold quite a lot, maybe a frigidaire. I thought it would be useful to have a freezer in addition so I can become organized with extra suppers, baked goods, stock up on some stuff etc.

Just moved to a place with a French door fridge/freezer (kitchenaid I think), which looks cool but holds ridiculously little on the freezer side. I can't even freeze bread like I used to, forget about stocking up on anything, or storing precooked 9x13s, or any baked stuff.
It has these little convenient baskets for small stuff like doughs and small packs of frozen fruits or veggies and some tiny shelves. A lot of space is taken up by the ice maker.

The fridge side seems more roomy, however, I haven't had a chance to really cook in this kitchen yet and haven't gone through a yomtov with it, so not sure if it's gonna hold all preyomtov stuff, or stuff for a three day yomtov, like the 6 kugels I had to make last fall, plus soup pots, stew pots etc.

If anyone had experience with that, did you find it made sense to still get a full spare freezer, or a roomy second refrigerator instead?

cheerios

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 6:03 pm
I'm happy to have a second full fridge. Although I mostly use the 2nd freezer part of the fridge, I find it very convenient to have a second fridge yom Tov time or when making a Simcha.

nicole81

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 6:33 pm
I have a fairly large capacity fridge with a bottom freezer that holds 9x13s... It doesn't sound as small as yours. We got a second fridge/freezer for free when a new neighbor moved in and was getting rid of it. As much as we used the fridge, no matter how we packed it, there was never enough freezer space between the 2 freezers. So when that fridge went after a couple of years, we replaced it with a large upright freezer. I love my freezer to the extent that one could love an inanimate object... It's an integral part of our family!

A lot depends on your personal style though. I walk in from work 10 minutes before shabbat in the fall and winter, so basically I spend the entire summer cooking and freezing month worth of shabbosim. When I make a dish I make triple, and need the freezer space to store. When a favorite cut of meat or even chicken is on an amazing sale, we stock up. I make 10 gallons of soup at a time and freeze the large containers, and I also bake large batches of challah every few months. All of this couldn't fit within 2 standard freezers, so I was cooking more frequently and it was inconveniencing. If you do a lot of freezing like this, then a freezer is rather necessary.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 6:57 pm
Nicole, that's what I was thinking that if I get a fridge/freezer, I'll be basically where I was with my old fridge and would probably not have much freezer space between the two.

last time when I was spending a lot of time working and/ or had a baby or infant I had next to zero time for cooking or baking, so suppers had to be pasta unless I sneaked in some time miraculously to throw together a fleishig 9x13. When I did that, I would make 2 or 3 extra pans in additional 2-5 minutes, and that made extra few hot suppers, which came in super handy. I definitely had no time to bake every week, and not challah. With freezer it would be a possibility. I def remember many times dreaming of having soup in the freezer that I could microwave during lunch time. Even frozen cooked pasta helps, you can make baked ziti in 5 mins.

Anyone misses on the fridge space though with these side-by-side fridges?

I don't make simchas yet, and don't host much. Only yomtov maybe, and def. not 10 or 20 people.

gumby

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 7:04 pm
Freezer

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 7:10 pm
Freezer. It actually makes sense to freeze yom tov food anyway. Do you really want a kugel that has been in your fridge for 4 or 5 day?

When I get tight for space on yom tov I take out things like fruit and veg and put them in a cold room.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Aug 14 2016, 11:20 pm
I have a Frigidaire Seperate fridge separate freezer 2 separate units.
I the garage.
Worth all the money I spent.
Scratch and dent sale $1600 for both units ($800 each) has a dent on the side of the freezer and the front of the fridge, but not too noticeable.

French door fridge and bottom freezer combo in the kitchen which was a mistake because it doesn't fit much

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 1:56 am
amother wrote:
I have a Frigidaire Seperate fridge separate freezer 2 separate units.
I the garage.
Worth all the money I spent.
Scratch and dent sale $1600 for both units ($800 each) has a dent on the side of the freezer and the front of the fridge, but not too noticeable.

French door fridge and bottom freezer combo in the kitchen which was a mistake because it doesn't fit much

Do you know if it's a problem to keep them in an unventilated garage? Looks like mine gets hot like a hothouse in this weather.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:25 am
Upright Freezer owners, what capacity do you suggest, and have you found any particular feature, layout or model useful; or any type to avoid?

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:36 am
amother wrote:
Upright Freezer owners, what capacity do you suggest, and have you found any particular feature, layout or model useful; or any type to avoid?

I have this one and I love it http://www.bestbuy.com/site/fr.....54655

It was the largest capacity whose dimensions would fit down my basement stairs. I recommend getting the largest freezer your space can handle. And I recommend this particular model, or the next size up.

I find the sabbath mode useful for both the lights and to disable the digital display. I like the digital display feature because I like knowing the temperature at all times. I find the alarm useful; I've never needed it, but should the freezer ever be left open, I'm sure I'll be thankful for this feature. My husband makes use of the soft-freeze zone for his ice cream.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 5:54 am
amother wrote:
Do you know if it's a problem to keep them in an unventilated garage? Looks like mine gets hot like a hothouse in this weather.

I've had mine for 3 yrs, maybe 4. I live in Miami. It's in my garage. No air conditioning in the garage. Don't know about basements though.
Never noticed it getting hot.

devash1

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 8:43 am
I have two fridges and an extra freezer. I like having enough space to put everything away easily. I bought two standard fridges and it was actually cheaper than one huge one. I could actually use another freezer....or at least be more organized with the one I have.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 9:52 am
My SIL put in a full refrigerator and a full freezer in her kitchen side by side with cabinet facing. She has a large family kah.
I have a French door refrigerator and I find I have more space on the refrigerator than my standard but probably not like a huge significant amount more. Buy definitely easier to see and store and small stuff doesn't get lost.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 1:14 pm
I have both in the basement. My freezer stays on all the time while I just turn on the fridge before Yom Tov.

It really depends on your needs. I find that a deep freezer (stand alone freezer) keeps your stuff better for longer than the fridge-freezer does. So, if you do a lot of advance cooking and baking, a freezer will serve your needs better.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 1:37 pm
I have two additional freezers, on top of my standard fridge/freezer in the kitchen. I got the first extra freezer pretty early on....and the 2nd extra freezer came one year when I had an absolute meltdown before Yom Tov trying to get all my stuff in....I use the extra freezer year round, and the 2nd extra freezer only gets plugged in around April and October. Or during emergencies, like when my friend brought over all her stuff during Hurricane Sandy, when she lost power and I had an empty extra freezer for her.

Go for it! Best. purchase. ever.

acemom

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:10 pm
Freezers tend to be used more for what you are describing, and as one poster pointed out, you can put non-fragile perishables in a cool room if you don't have enough room in the fridge.

No garage here so we need to configure a space first but I'm thinking about getting a second freezer too.

debsey

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 2:24 pm
acemom wrote:
Freezers tend to be used more for what you are describing, and as one poster pointed out, you can put non-fragile perishables in a cool room if you don't have enough room in the fridge.

No garage here so we need to configure a space first but I'm thinking about getting a second freezer too.

I have an extra freezer, and a fridge in the basement that we plug in for Yamim Tovim. It has a small bottom freezer. I find that not having the "help, where can I freeze this?" anxiety at 2 AM is a huge blessing. The next time I make a bar mitzvah in my house, I told my husband I want another freezer as a present, because then I could make even more stuff in advance.

Maybe

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 3:44 pm
Buy it now decide later convertible friger/freezer

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-2.....u-ft-convertible-refrigerator-freezer-white/p-04622052000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2#

great for buying bulk in season or on sale

L K

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 4:13 pm
OK, freezer sold to the highest bidder ))

L K

Post Mon, Aug 15 2016, 4:15 pm
Which one of the two types is more convenient: with the baskets or just plain shelves?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen