Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Headband with a snood?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 7:54 pm
Hi all! I don't wear a sheitel and cover with a hat for work and formal events. Day to day, I wear a snood everywhere. I typically dress pretty put together and always have nice makeup and accessories, so I don't feel like a snood looks "pajama-ish".

That being said, I want to change it up a bit! I don't like mitpachat at all, because the constant slipping, retying, and flyaway hairs make me feel messy. I don't like caps because in my community I findthat a certain demographic that I don't fit into wears them exclusively.

So I was wondering...Maybe I can wear headbands -- the elastic type sold for fall sheitels-- on my snood? To dress it up?

Preemptive defense: the reason I care what people think is because I'm not a daring, trendy,fad-observing, gorgeous and confident young lady. I want to look pretty and normal, and I'm just curious what you all say. Wink

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 8:10 pm
No. Big fashion faux pas.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 8:42 pm
I can't comment on a snood with headband because I don't wear snoods, so I am not really sure how that would look. But as a full time tichel wearer, I wanted to mention that if you use velcro headband under the tichel, it will eliminate problems such as slippage and fly away hair. My tichels stay on 14-16 hours with no adjustments during the day whatsoever, with hair being fully covered. Also, if you wear volumizer, it gives it a very put together look. Just wanted to mention in case you ever decide to experiment:)

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 8:50 pm
My friend was here from EY. She usually wears a regular snood. But for a wedding she had a piece of lace, maybe with embroidery or something, that she pinned around it. Kind of like a headband. And of course you could do it with velcro.

Really what you could be doing is something similar, really more like a simplified version of the wraps with two colored scarves. In other words, you can wrap a small scarf around the snood so it gives color or contrast.

As for fashion faux pas, I disagree. If you like it and it looks pretty (and not overly homemade) I say go for it! (Under amother of course. Because I want to wear scarves but I'm just a little chicken myself : )

ETA: I just remembered that I once bought a two piece snood. The back was just a bag of black velvet. The front was a wide band, a beautiful print in velvet, with velcro, that wrapped as tightly as you wanted around the head, and it wrapped around the back piece. And then you could mix and match with another similar item. I haven't seen it in ages (in my house) & don't even remember where I bought it or when. But I don't see why anyone can't do as they like! So there!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 10:16 pm
Thanks for the replies! I actually did get the idea from wrapunzel type coverings, where a contrasting color scarves are tied around thr front. I like how it frames the face.

I also saw this which is a pretied scarf with interchangeable scarves:

http://I.imgur.com/NKatZey.jpg

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 10:20 pm
To amothers who think it's a faux pas, are you the type who anyways think it's rude for women to show up in snoods? (Totally don't mean that question snarkily, just want to know as I'm weighing all the opinions-- I know there are some who won't wear a snood to take out their garbage, but this is the head covering I choose to wear and I think the aesthetic works for me)

cm

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 10:31 pm
Try it at home and see how it looks in real life. I think the idea has potential.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 10:37 pm
I have a black pre tied snood that I wanted to liven up I took a small mitpachat (a square. Shape) and I rolled it flat then tied it on top of the snood a bit back like a headband. It looked nice

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 10:40 pm
I have a friend who wears a cotton beret or soft hat, usually a neutral, black, white, cream or navy. Then she adds a ribbon to match what she's wearing.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 10:41 pm
I'm the amother who called it faux pas. I wear snoods all the time, except to work. I would never consider dressing it up, though. I guess it'd be the same as "dressing up" a housecoat or a robe. It looks a little ridiculous, IMO. If you're going to get dressed, putting a diamond pin on a housecoat is not going to do it.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the amother who called it faux pas. I wear snoods all the time, except to work. I would never consider dressing it up, though. I guess it'd be the same as "dressing up" a housecoat or a robe. It looks a little ridiculous, IMO. If you're going to get dressed, putting a diamond pin on a housecoat is not going to do it.

Thanks for explaining! I hear your point, but I often find that wearing a hat sticks out so much--particularly in the summer. I can make the formal look work, say at a simcha or at my job. Other places though, it looks so overdressed and sticks out like a sore thumb. Cotton hats and berets that I've tried don't work for my head/face shape, so I'm trying to make the snood look work. Like, what if you have to wear the house coat, why not dress it up with cute flats, an awesome belt, and earrings?

Disclaimer -- I don't actually know what a house coat is exactly. Off to Google it now....

TehillaHadassah

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 11:44 pm
I have been having fun with different types of cover and the old fashion headband like the hippies would wear across the forehead. I use narrow, subtle ones and bring them an inch below the front cover. I like it. Also use them higher up on the Tichel. An old look new.

self-actualization

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 10:59 am
My daughter who is 5 and very fashionable has taken my "pretied" tichel (that I never wear) and done all kinds of fun things with it when she plays Ima. She has put in a big flower clip in the front and also put headbands and other accessories on it. I remember that my husband and I were both thinking - I wonder if real people do this because it looks very nice.

Shuly

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 6:58 pm
I see this in Israel all the time. Women wear a plain black snood and add a headband to the front. For weddings or fancy occasions, they may add a piece of material that is the same pattern as their dress.

SacN

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 8:29 pm
Seen it where I live in Israel too. I've done it before, though it's generally not my style.

Regular snood, headband like I wear with my fall. Yup.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 12:05 am
Thanks! I think I'm going to try this.

Psa: I went to buy my daughters socks and stuff from double header and picked up a few headbands for them as well. There wasn't a sign, nor was the price marked down, but I realized after that they were all 50% off. Cool
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics