Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How do you prepare young children for starting school?

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 12:35 pm
DS just turning 3 and he's starting school now. how do I prepare him for this huge new experience? I don't want him to get overwhelmed or be scared. what can I do to help him have an easy adjustment?

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 12:45 pm
When each of my kids approaches preschool, I read the Berenstain Bears Go To School. Very good, addresses some of the things that make kids nervous about starting school but also goes through what a typical school day looks like. There's also a Daniel Tiger episode about starting school. I'm sure there are other books. Is there an orientation, where he can see the classroom and meet the teacher beforehand? That usually helps too. Don't make too big a deal, if you give off the impression it's something to be scared of, he'll mirror that. It's more important to just prepare him for what to expect, by either reading books, watching a short video about it (such as the episode I mentioned) or role playing, or some combination of all that.

gibberish

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 12:48 pm
Talk about what to expect. You can also introduce him to some of his future classmates through playdates.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 2:27 pm
thank you. I'm going to buy some books. any other tips?

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 2:42 pm
Do you have a meet the morah day before school starts? I found that its a great way to show your child the classroom and meet his teacher. If not can you make an appointment to have your own day? I also found that the first day was not a full day which helps them adjust.

Is your child more timid or fearful in general? I started doing occasional drop off baby sitting when my oldest was a toddler and he was like where are the toys and why are you here. I always think my kids will have a hard time separating but its in my head not in reality. They like the new experience.

mommyla

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 2:43 pm
Llama Llama Misses Mama is a great pre-preschool book. Very appropriately worded for young kids.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 2:57 pm
Many kids cry the first day. Some kids cry the first week. They'll be ok and start loving preschool soon enough. I'm assuming this is your oldest. Don't worry about it.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 3:01 pm
DS is going from kiddie group to cheder. not into playgroup. school is so much more overwhelming.
great idea to take him to see the place before. I don't think cheder has orientation like I had in school. I'll inquire.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 3:07 pm
mommyla wrote:
Llama Llama Misses Mama is a great pre-preschool book. Very appropriately worded for young kids.

I love the llama llama books, and my kids love them too!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children