Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yavneh seminary
Previous  1  2

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 10:10 am
I am sure the mehalech of Morah z"l is being carried out to the extent applicable. I hope people are thinking about more local options. I had 4 girls who went to Yavneh. Admittedly the 5th chose not to go because at that point it had shrunk and she wasn't happy with what she heard about the applicants that year.

I'm actually encouraging my granddaughter to think about WORKING instead of seminary.

There are more options opening in the US. Nobody knows what will happen at this point, right?

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 11:43 am
So interesting.

My son was redt a shidduch

Resume had schools geared for weaker S/N students which was concerning for me as my son is brilliant.

Seminary was Yavneh. Figured if she was able to get to seminary then she isn't that weak/dumb.

Now I did a search on Yavneh, and this is what came up.
I see now that the year girl graduated there were only 3-4 students geared for weaker students.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 12:13 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
So interesting.

Resume had schools geared for weaker S/N students which was concerning for me as my son is brilliant.

Seminary was Yavneh. Figured if she was able to get to seminary then she isn't that weak/dumb.

I see now that the year girl graduated there were only 3-4 students geared for weaker students.

Yes. Unfortunately, Yavne seminary is no longer the seminary it used to be.
When I went there over 25 years ago , it was a seminary for high caliber students, comparable to BJJ. (According to girls who went to both sems.)
Recently, I looked into it for an acquaintance of mine, and there were perhaps 4 students there, nice gurls, but all very weak with severe learning challenges.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 12:30 pm
For anyone who's interested in what Yavneh used to be, you can read this hesped from one of its graduates https://www.tabletmag.com/sect.....sband

In Yavne, Torah felt like a delight. When I attended the seminary, it was housed in the Taylor Road Synagogue in Cleveland Heights. It consisted in its entirety of two classrooms, a larger one for the first-year students or for the whole school when we were together; a smaller one for the second-year students. We boarded with local families, and there was nowhere to go and nothing to do. This was not Jerusalem, or even New York. Cleveland winters started in October and ended in April. (If you’ve ever lived with lake-effect snow, you know what I mean. Once during my time there, we got 48 inches.) When the school day ended, we hung out together in each other’s host homes. And we learned, we learned, we learned.

The Yavne veterans, who had attended in the 1960s when the seminary had only a handful of students, would tell us about the watered-down education we were getting, the accommodations that had been made to our (invariably lesser) generation of Americans. In their day, over the course of two years, they learned all 24 books of the Tanakh. And the Rashei Yeshiva, the heads of the Telz Yeshiva, would come to farher the students, to quiz them to assess their mastery.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 2:33 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
For anyone who's interested in what Yavneh used to be, you can read this hesped from one of its graduates https://www.tabletmag.com/sect.....sband

In Yavne, Torah felt like a delight. When I attended the seminary, it was housed in the Taylor Road Synagogue in Cleveland Heights. It consisted in its entirety of two classrooms, a larger one for the first-year students or for the whole school when we were together; a smaller one for the second-year students. We boarded with local families, and there was nowhere to go and nothing to do. This was not Jerusalem, or even New York. Cleveland winters started in October and ended in April. (If you’ve ever lived with lake-effect snow, you know what I mean. Once during my time there, we got 48 inches.) When the school day ended, we hung out together in each other’s host homes. And we learned, we learned, we learned.

The Yavne veterans, who had attended in the 1960s when the seminary had only a handful of students, would tell us about the watered-down education we were getting, the accommodations that had been made to our (invariably lesser) generation of Americans. In their day, over the course of two years, they learned all 24 books of the Tanakh. And the Rashei Yeshiva, the heads of the Telz Yeshiva, would come to farher the students, to quiz them to assess their mastery.

Thank you for this! I was in Yavne in 1996-97, so I missed this author by one year. But she describes the era so well.

yachnabobba

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 2:41 pm
Yavne used to be like the MIT of seminaries . A collection of brilliant geeks. There was no extra curricular to speak of, it was learning and oh what learning it was!!! Stimulating! Textual! Intense! Phenomenal we spent all day and all night immersed in sifrei kodesh
I would not be the same person I am now if not for Yavne. Having said that, morah is in the olam ha-Emes rabbi Neustadt is in Lakewood and while Reb. Goldberg is truly a special person it’s not the same place as it was. Pm me if you need more

yachnabobba

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 2:43 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Thank you for this! I was in Yavne in 1996-97, so I missed this author by one year. But she describes the era so well.

Samesies

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 2:45 pm
How can they afford to keep it open for just four students?

Perrys

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 3:47 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
So interesting.

My sis went the year of 5 girls

She is brilliant

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 3:54 pm
Yavne seminary no longer exists.

But the last few years of it existence (within the past 7 years or so for sure) most of the girls who went there were not typical.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 4:58 pm
yachnabobba wrote:
Samesies

So we were in the same class:)

amother
DarkCyan

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 4:58 pm
yachnabobba wrote:
Samesies

So we were in the same class:) Did you go for one or two years?

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 5:23 pm
yachnabobba wrote:
Yavne used to be like the MIT of seminaries . A collection of brilliant geeks. There was no extra curricular to speak of, it was learning and oh what learning it was!!! Stimulating! Textual! Intense! Phenomenal we spent all day and all night immersed in sifrei kodesh
I would not be the same person I am now if not for Yavne. Having said that, morah is in the olam ha-Emes rabbi Neustadt is in Lakewood and while Reb. Goldberg is truly a special person it’s not the same place as it was. Pm me if you need more

This!! You said it so well.

yachnabobba

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 11:26 pm
Just confirmed . Yavne is dead

yachnabobba

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 11:27 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
So we were in the same class:) Did you go for one or two years?

One I was there the year a girl passed away on mid
Winter
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics