Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Weekend getaway/ place for shabbos

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 9:30 am
This post is twofold I guess one is to see of anyone can help me come up with any ideas or suggestions, the second is to just vent my feelings and hear some input I guess too.
So here's my thing. I'm looking to go away this weekend since kids have off and it's the last summer weekend and although we did go away earlier in the summer we have been home last few weeks and I just feel I need to air out and have a weekend off before the busy season yt and winter sets in. Is that fair enough? Too much to ask for? Now for weekdays I'm not picky I can choose any location and just sTay in any hotel nearby but for shabbos I like to be in a proper shabbos atmosphere where there's MinYan and other ppl and company for me and kids....and I find it very hard to find a place to be for shabbos I've been trying a few weekends this summer and none has worked out so far. I don t like to pay a fortune for these kosher hotel programs, renting a house is usually expensive u have to shlep everything with and u have no company. I looked into Niagara which has a great shabbos program but for now it's coming out too expensive an its a bit far, I looked into soooo many options Vermont or NH, are both far and exp, I Google d if there r any chabads who make shabbos meals and I'd stay nearby in hotel - can't find any in Tristate area, I haven't even heard of any organized weekends this week. Isn't anyone going away for labor day weekend? So far we found a cheap place to be in NJ for wed Thurs but I still can't find anywhere to go for shabbos. We tried calling anyone we know friends inlakewood... but nothing has worked out so if anyone has any suggestions someplace with hr or two of ny-nj I'd love to hear.

sky

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 9:54 am
I totally understand. Everything is a fortune. Just sending some understanding your way.
What would you be willing to pay in terms of a house rental.
Tannersville\hunter have some on VRBO walkable to a shul. They provide linen, but you have to bring food. Its labor day weekend so the prices are more, but its last minute - so maybe they would negotiate.
Or what about the Chabad guest house in Lancaster - that may still be open.

You can also contact this guy to see if there will be anything labor day weekend. So far nothing is posted.

http://shabbosgetaways.blogspot.com/

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 9:56 am
Now for the kvetchy Part of this post... I don't mean to sound silly or spoiled but here and there I get this itch to get away, now im.not looking for luxury or have to spend a lot just the opposite I'd rather go away for more time or more often and do it cheaply. We used to be invited out a few times a yr either to friends in Lakewood or wherever and I really enjoy getting away. I love having guest and ppl call us all the time k nowing we have a really comfortable guestrooms and many times last minute if they can stay by us and we usually say yes. Many times it was quite hard cuz I had no cleaning lady and last minute I had to do everything myself but I just can't say no if someone needs a place. I once tried to be assertive Cuz I felt it was too much for me and I felt so bad that in end I made it work. My family from out of town just calls to let us know when they'll be here...and we really enjoy company. Yet at the same time I would also like to be invited sometimes but that never happens anymore. And yes bh I have a nice home and place to be but sometimes I just want a break even just for a meal. Like yt is coming now and I counted there will be about 23 meals and yes I'll cook and prepare them and yes I will try to find guest and hopefully I'll manage and enjoy but I would like to get out Maybe for one meal or two... problem is I don't have anywhere to go and that makes me feel soo sad. I have no family around except my mother that I can sometimes invite myself to and I do when she's home... but what about all those ppl that come to me y doesn't anyone invite back... Im not specifically expecting anyone cuz I know everyone has closer family and they first have they're sisters and inlaws...Noone look for second cousins and old friends... when I ask my friends they're all like ..I like to be home, my husband doesn't like guest we like to be with the kids... and I understand there are ppl like that but where are all those ppl who do love guest who have open houses why don't I know any of those? I don't have sisters or close family nearby that I can just say hey let's spend shabbos or yt or a weekend together. Sometimes I just feel soo alone in the world like right now that I just wanna cry...whoever I speak to is just going to they're sisters friends inlaws...sorry for the rambling just had to get it off my chest, not sure of any solutions...

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 9:59 am
Thanks for ur undestanding sky what is the Chabad guest house in Lancaster is that open for shabbos meals? If you can give me more info or contact info I'd appreciate
I've tried the shabbos getaway blog don't see anything for this week.

sky

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 10:50 am
https://jewishenrichmentcom.cl.....ng/en

I just checked again and its booked for this weekend (earlier it had not been). Sorry.

In terms of food, it is probably going to cost you the least to pick up takeout then to pay at any of the places.

If you can't get away would that help at all, to just buy shabbos and feel a little break and go on a long trip on Friday instead of spending the day in the kitchen.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 11:03 am
Thanks I tried calling them but booked this week.
Of course I can stay home but that kills my whole weekend getaway. I wanted to be out wed Thurs Fri ...and then off somewhere for shabbos and then I can find something sun- mon in whatever area I'd be. But staying home means making plan for wed and not much local except parks which we've done wanted more of out of town feel...and then cleaning and cooking thurs-Fri I don't mind cooking for shabbos I don't really like takeout if I'm home but I do hate to be home if my house isn't spotless so staying home means cleaning up ....and then shabbos kids have zero company cuz everyone is away . And then finding entertainment for sun mon...when it's labor day weekend and all parks r probably packed and traffic....if I'm out its just easier..

sky

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 11:28 am
Honestly, I'm in a similar situation.

I really wanted to go away this shabbos, even with all the work involved. (in the end I"m hosting tons of sleeping only company).

I'm still planning on doing something biggish Sunday and Monday even if it means driving 3 hours. If you are in the tri-state area you can do Poconos, Tannersville\Hunter, Delaware, Knoebels, Lancaster.

If you are interested I can help you brain storm based on your kids agaes. I find it still worth it to do a trip and get some summer vacation even if it wasn't what I was looking for. Even a 2 day break is better than nothing.

sky

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 5:38 pm
Looks like there is a program this shabbos at shabbos getaways.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics