Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Bunky board for uncomfortable bed?

Lizajen

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 3:20 pm
My dd has been complaining for a long time that her bed is extremely uncomfortable. She has a mattress, which lies directly on the springs from a trundle bed frame. Someone mentioned that I could buy a board to put under the mattress. She said it's called a bunky board. Has anyone bought one of these? Where is a good place to buy one? Any other ideas? Thanx.

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 4:14 pm
a bunky board is a very thin box spring - used for bunk beds ...

if her mattress is not comfortable - she might need a new mattress ...

one of my daughter's has that type of bed but with a good mattress never had an issue ... the other daughter was in a bunk bed with a bunky board and was so skinny she felt the springs in a bad mattress - so that is my opinion

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 4:15 pm
it's more likely to be the mattress than the trundle springs. if you don't want to buy a new mattress, buy a cushioned mattress topper. that should do the trick.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 5:15 pm
It depends on what about the bed is uncomfortable. A bunky board is NOT a thin box spring. It's not much more than a firm board, thinly padded so the particle board doesn't splinter or grab the mattress. You can use a plain sheet of half-inch plywood cut to size and it'll do the same thing, though you still have the risk of splinters. The board provides a solid firm surface so the mattress doesn't sag when weight is put on it. IOW it makes the bed firmer. If your dd doesn't like the "give" in the bed, this may be the solution.

OTOH if your dd feels the springs , it's not the bed springs she feels but the mattress coils. If this is because the top layer of padding is too thin, get a mattress topper which will insulate the springs and keep them from digging into her back.

If the discomfort is because the mattress coils are deformed from age so that there is a permanent valley in the center, or because the springs are weak and sag deeply when weight is put on them even when the mattress is on a firm surface like the floor, the mattress has outlived its usefulness and needs to be replaced.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics