Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Pres Hillary Clinton means increased Muslim immigration
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 12:23 pm
Fox wrote:
All of us have heard of families or individuals that we'd happily take into our own homes. However, making broad policy decisions based on anecdotes is rarely the best way to proceed.

Likewise, many of us are reminded of the predicament of Jews fleeing Europe during WWII, and we are reluctant to impose that fate on others.

However, the two situations are not completely analogous, and we can't allow our inborn trait of chesed to overcome our assessment of potential danger.

* Appropriate vetting is lengthy, expensive, and sometimes impossible.

* Current policies significantly favor Muslim immigrants over Christian immigrants from the same region. This makes no sense whatsoever, since Christians are usually in far greater danger.

* Not only is there a significant risk of allowing jihadi cells to immigrate, there is an even greater risk of allowing Islamist religious leaders to set up an infrastructure. In Europe, the experience has been that the children of immigrants are most susceptible to radicalization, and we've already seen that in Orlando.

* The immigrant pool that has immigrated to Europe has been almost completely unskilled and frequently without any real education. The current economic climate in the U.S. means that immigrants would not only create a huge burden on our social services, they would take jobs from some of the most vulnerable Americans.

I don't favor any ridiculous bans on immigration, but I think we have to be very careful not to allow our emotions to dictate our policies.

Can't disagree with anything you write. I can only hope that the careful vetting that is and will be done take these points into consideration. But I don't think we can say, no one at all.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 3:46 am
You always need to invent stuff on France (another word for Europe I noticed), right?

You don't have enough of your problems on your country?

Germany and Belgium are actually more seriously touched than France - but no bigdeal, go on LOL.

FTR police is in front of church and public schools too. It's about not being Muslim - actually scratch that non fasting Muslims also get attacked during ramadan. And we have great peaceful yomim tovim, thank you for asking, our life is developing all the tme, new shuls, new mikves (I see 3 new ones in Parisian area over one year kah tfu tfu tfu), dancing with the sefer Torah in the street. Simply people living near to Islamic areas are dealing with the problems we can expect from them, from church slaughter to insults. While bh tznius protects, I feel more uncomfy as a woman in skirt (or with a nice telephone) than bring my son with kippa.

So meddle with your own President find something normal not Clinton or Trump (oy), and then don't give lessons to the whole world. Including Israel, Europe, Asia, Africa... ooof.

Not coming to check up on it so don't bother attacking.

Blue jay

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 6:34 am
Fox wrote:
All of us have heard of families or individuals that we'd happily take into our own homes. However, making broad policy decisions based on anecdotes is rarely the best way to proceed.

Likewise, many of us are reminded of the predicament of Jews fleeing Europe during WWII, and we are reluctant to impose that fate on others.

However, the two situations are not completely analogous, and we can't allow our inborn trait of chesed to overcome our assessment of potential danger.

* Appropriate vetting is lengthy, expensive, and sometimes impossible.

* Current policies significantly favor Muslim immigrants over Christian immigrants from the same region. This makes no sense whatsoever, since Christians are usually in far greater danger.

* Not only is there a significant risk of allowing jihadi cells to immigrate, there is an even greater risk of allowing Islamist religious leaders to set up an infrastructure. In Europe, the experience has been that the children of immigrants are most susceptible to radicalization, and we've already seen that in Orlando.

* The immigrant pool that has immigrated to Europe has been almost completely unskilled and frequently without any real education. The current economic climate in the U.S. means that immigrants would not only create a huge burden on our social services, they would take jobs from some of the most vulnerable Americans.

I don't favor any ridiculous bans on immigration, but I think we have to be very careful not to allow our emotions to dictate our policies.

Fox, I have been following your posts since the primaries and you've got my vote!

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 8:37 am
Ruchel wrote:
You always need to invent stuff on France (another word for Europe I noticed), right?

You don't have enough of your problems on your country?

Germany and Belgium are actually more seriously touched than France - but no bigdeal, go on LOL.

FTR police is in front of church and public schools too. It's about not being Muslim - actually scratch that non fasting Muslims also get attacked during ramadan. And we have great peaceful yomim tovim, thank you for asking, our life is developing all the tme, new shuls, new mikves (I see 3 new ones in Parisian area over one year kah tfu tfu tfu), dancing with the sefer Torah in the street. Simply people living near to Islamic areas are dealing with the problems we can expect from them, from church slaughter to insults. While bh tznius protects, I feel more uncomfy as a woman in skirt (or with a nice telephone) than bring my son with kippa.

So meddle with your own President find something normal not Clinton or Trump (oy), and then don't give lessons to the whole world. Including Israel, Europe, Asia, Africa... ooof.

Not coming to check up on it so don't bother attacking.

Not sure what your point is, but France's Jews are leaving France in droves, largely because of anti-Semitic violence from the exploding Muslim population.

Fox

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 9:04 am
I can understand Ruchel's frustration. I do business with people in Scotland, and when they hear my voice on the phone, they always act like they're surprised I'm still alive. They're convinced that anyone in Chicago who ventures outdoors is likely as not to be shot. Nothing I tell them convinces them that I'm in far more danger from overindulging in Marriano's caramel corn (shockingly tasty, I might add) than from gang warfare in WRP.

Nor was I thinking particularly of France. If anything, we've heard more lately about issues in the UK and Germany.

That said, a delegation of major figures from the Yeshivish and Chassidish communities recently traveled throughout the country raising money to help Jews leave France. So apparently not everyone feels entirely safe.

I do think we have to look at Europe's experiences and try to learn from them. If we react emotionally without thinking through things like job opportunities, cultural integration, and managing expectations -- it sets up everyone for future problems.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics