Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Where in Brooklyn?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 10:35 am
We are looking into the option of moving to Brooklyn as my dh got a job offer. Boro Park is out of the question as we both can't stand it. We are looking for a quiet place, with attractive and affordable housing. Other than Flatbush (which is expensive, from what I understood), what other places in the Brooklyn area are there?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 10:40 am
Depends what you want. For frum communities, Crown Heights and Williamsburg are the other two biggies-- and they're VERY different. From your post (and you didn't give us too much to go by), I'd say look into Crown Heights... Williamsburg is much more insular whereas Crown Heights has more variety though it is also important to note that CH is primarily Lubavitch and W is primarily Satmar.

Brooklyn is becoming less and less affordable. The other other communities that are not completely frum but have some smaller frum commuities are Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights, but those are much more expensive from what I understand. Good luck to you!

nicole81

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 10:54 am
What kind of community are you looking for and how much are you looking to spend? There's hardly anything affordable here. You can find some cheaper housing in Marine Park...

Sofia2

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 12:00 pm
Did anybody hear of Seagate and what type of community is it?

zkalan

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 12:04 pm
Kensinghton is nice area, few different communities, and pricing is more reasonable than Flatbush.

nicole81

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 12:15 pm
Seagate is a small community and it's chassidish.

I personally love mill basin but it's a more modern and israeli community, not sure if this is for you.

TammyTammy

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 12:38 pm
zkalan wrote:
Kensinghton is nice area, few different communities, and pricing is more reasonable than Flatbush.

Interesting, because three years ago, we were renting in Kensington and looking to buy, preferably in the Kensington/Ditmas Park area. We were priced out of the neighborhood. We ended up in Marine Park.

Tammy

amother

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 4:53 pm
Thanks for all your replies.
Mill Basin sounds interesting because we are Israeli- where is it?
And where is Marine Park?

nicole81

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 7:56 pm
I don't know if you're at all familiar with Brooklyn, but it's past king's plaza, by avenue u and the e.60s. it's really quiet and private. there are a ton of million dollar homes so it's not exactly cheap here, but you can get a starter home for a lot less than in flatbush. there's also a kosher eruv here, and it's a 5 minute drive to marine park, and about 10 minutes from flatbush.

then there's the neighboring area of georgetown. it's very israeli there as well. I don't think the housing is as nice, but there are a lot of 3 family houses to help pay the mortgage if that's your thing.

marine park is from avenue u to kings highway, basically in the e. 30s and some name streets a little higher up. it's right next to flatbush so it's very convenient and not as expensive. the area also surrounds a huge park (called marine park, lol) it's very nice in the summer and on shabbos.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 8:15 pm
stay away from seagate .it is not for you!
there are no cheap places in brooklyn!

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 9:06 pm
seagate is actually beautiful if you can afford it.

brooklyn

Post Wed, Aug 29 2007, 5:51 am
I have lived in Marine Park for many years and bought a house in Mill Basin three years ago. Marine Park is not so cheap anymore as it is the prime area right now. When I lived there people thought that I lived in the boondocks. Now frum families are buying there like crazy. Mill Basin is great. Nice mix of frum, not so frum. I love it there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics