Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What's 'worse' - Imamother or Facebook?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 3:18 pm
So I've been on imamother for a few years but very sporadically, like maybe once every 5 months or so I'd pop on for a recipe or see what's happening... but I was active on facebook. I cancelled my fb account a few months ago (it was taking up way too much time, becoming addictive etc, all typical reasons) and I'm finding myself more active here on imamother instead! I wouldn't say I enjoy it more but there's definitely something 'dangerous' about being able to hide behind 'imamother'... what do u think?

Another mom

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 3:19 pm
Set a timer???

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 3:20 pm
What do you mean by 'dangerous' and 'worse'? Worse in what way?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 3:23 pm
amother wrote:
So I've been on imamother for a few years but very sporadically, like maybe once every 5 months or so I'd pop on for a recipe or see what's happening... but I was active on facebook. I cancelled my fb account a few months ago (it was taking up way too much time, becoming addictive etc, all typical reasons) and I'm finding myself more active here on imamother instead! I wouldn't say I enjoy it more but there's definitely something 'dangerous' about being able to hide behind 'imamother'... what do u think?

Nah, FB is much worse. Here you just get people giving/getting good/bad advice. FB you see people and their idyllic holidays and perfect muffins baked at 5am in their pristine kitchen for their perfect kids.

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 3:30 pm
I prefer Imamother to FB

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 3:31 pm
amother wrote:
Nah, FB is much worse. Here you just get people giving/getting good/bad advice. FB you see people and their idyllic holidays and perfect muffins baked at 5am in their pristine kitchen for their perfect kids.

My FB is locked down to family only and one private group (with old andnew friends) that I've been in for many years. I don't get to see the perfect muffins, or pristine kitchens.

Ima is pretty out there when compared to how I use FB.

cm

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 3:38 pm
Apples and oranges - FB is super-useful for staying in touch with friends and extended family, while Imamother is great for sharing ideas anonymously with people you would never otherwise meet.

If you find yourself getting "sucked in" and spending too much time online or getting too involved with Imamother squabbles, set some limits for yourself.

Teomima

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 4:49 pm
I quit FB years ago. In my opinion it's just a socially acceptable form of exhibitionism and voyeurism hidden under the guise of being a useful tool to stay in touch with friends and family. I can tell you first hand, any family and friends worth being in touch will stay in touch with you even without FB.

Now don't get me wrong, people can abuse imamother as well. But mostly I find a helpful, supportive, and interesting community here. Certainly frustrating at times but hey, that's what keeps us young Wink

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 6:02 pm
I have to say, as feisty as imamothers can get, I've never seen arguments get as ugly and nasty as they do on Facebook. And that's saying something'!

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 6:58 pm
Facebook is way worse....

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 7:05 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
My FB is locked down to family only and one private group (with old andnew friends) that I've been in for many years. I don't get to see the perfect muffins, or pristine kitchens.

I could consider going back on FB and being locked down to family/private group like this as I think that's a great use of FB. However, I know that I would revert to my previous FB activity where I had over 700 "friends"...

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 7:06 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

Do you think it's an age thing? I wonder how many of the kids here use FB like you do.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 7:06 pm
[quote="Teomima"]I quit FB years ago. In my opinion it's just a socially acceptable form of exhibitionism and voyeurism hidden under the guise of being a useful tool to stay in touch with friends and family. I can tell you first hand, any family and friends worth being in touch will stay in touch with you even without FB.

quote]

So well said, liking was not enough.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 7:08 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Do you think it's an age thing? I wonder how many of the kids here use FB like you do.

Well, for the youngest ones here, Facebook is becoming more and more passe. Many teenagers and young adults mostly skirt Facebook, seeing it as something their moms and dads use... Whatsapp, Snapchat and the like are what occupy their attention.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 7:09 pm
Teomima wrote:
I quit FB years ago. In my opinion it's just a socially acceptable form of exhibitionism and voyeurism hidden under the guise of being a useful tool to stay in touch with friends and family. I can tell you first hand, any family and friends worth being in touch will stay in touch with you even without FB.

I agree with this totally. The trouble is that when I left FB, I was left with the brutal reality that most of my so-called family and friends ONLY kept in touch with me on FB and didn't actually know or care when my bday was for example IRL.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 7:10 pm
amother wrote:
Well, for the youngest ones here, Facebook is becoming more and more passe. Many teenagers and young adults mostly skirt Facebook, seeing it as something their moms and dads use... Whatsapp, Snapchat and the like are what occupy their attention.

Interesting. You may want to see MY's new thread on Internet usage.

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 7:40 pm
amother wrote:

I'm past the "young adult" title (which I believe refers to adults ages 18 to 26), but always have preferred WhatsApp to Facebook.... Tongue Out

I find FB to be more showy and less authentic.

Post a selfie, where you don't even look that good- wait for comments- "omg you look so hottt", "model!!!", "Hot mama!", "Gawwwwgeous girl", bla bla.... Yea yea... you barely even know her, you met her on a flight to London 13 years ago.... So stop playing the FB mind games. LOL

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 7:42 pm
What's the ??

Imamother doesn't allow prust pictures

Maya

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 8:30 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

I'm 31, so I don't know if that's what you call a kid Smile
But I use Facebook similarly. I only friend people I really know and like, and feel that I can be open with. I try to connect to most of them in a good, positive way.

I don't usually see people's 5 a.m. cupcakes in their pristine kitchen, but if I did, why would I have anything against that? I'm not that insecure that it would make me feel badly. I either compliment or skip over. No skin off my back.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 9:22 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

No I don't think it's age dependent at all. I think it's based on what you know about using FB. If you are tired of someones pristine kitchen and 5 am muffins you can still keep them as friends but not have that persons posts show in your feed. You can also make some ground rules for yourself about who you will choose as a friend. If I don't know you in the RW, I'm not going to accept your friend request. Or you can make a private group and send out invites.

My DD is 31 and her friends range in age from 25 up, most of them are too busy with work/careers and family to be zipping off posts about 5am muffins. I think it has to do with lifestyle too. I don't see a lot of folks constantly doing FB on their smart phones in my community. Since this is a topic I find interesting I tend to ask folks I know about their usage. Most of them say that they prefer being connected, but aren't dependent on it. They can choose appropriate times to stay net connected, and times when it's not appropriate.

ETA: Regarding inappropriate photos on FB, you aren't going to see that stuff unless you have a history of googling those or related items. I always respond to ads in my feed that I may not find useful.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics