Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Gemara in yiddish?

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 7:14 am
My son is starting gemara soon, and with his dad out of the picture, I will need to hire someone to farher him (out of my budget) or rely on favors from reluctant male family members.

Unless...

Are there gemaras with yiddish translation so I csn follow along and "farher" him the way I do chumash?

water_bear88

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 7:23 am
I don't know about Yiddish, but if your English is decent, the Artscroll Schottenstein gemaras are very good. In particular, if you've never learned gemara, they may be more helpful than a simple translation since they also go into explanation. (Chumash is generally written in full sentences, or at least poetic sentence fragments; gemara is written in a much more shorthand style.)

Kol hakavod on the initiative!

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 11:47 am
I would speak to his Rebbe on what is the best way to help him.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 5:39 am
water_bear88 wrote:
I don't know about Yiddish, but if your English is decent, the Artscroll Schottenstein gemaras are very good. In particular, if you've never learned gemara, they may be more helpful than a simple translation since they also go into explanation. (Chumash is generally written in full sentences, or at least poetic sentence fragments; gemara is written in a much more shorthand style.)

Kol hakavod on the initiative!

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it, but my concern is how to mentally translate the English to his yiddissh without annoying him.

Artscroll doesn't have a yiddish line yet?

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 5:40 am
amother wrote:
I would speak to his Rebbe on what is the best way to help him.

I did. He suggested finding a yungerman.

I don't trust strangers, and family is going to be problematic.

It wouldn't occur to his rebbe that a woman can or should do this. Rolling Eyes

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 5:54 am
I had similar dilemma with my son.

Some ideas that worked for me:

Hiring a yungerman who came to MY home, where I could supervise from the corner of my eye, or even have them sit in the kitchen while I prepared dinner or folded laundry. I learned a lot!

At times when I couldn't hire someone, I'd ask my son to guide me, ''What question should I ask you about this line? And what question might your rebbe ask about this line?''

Helpful?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics