Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
ISO good and simple vegetable freezable soup recipe

Surprise

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 8:32 am
I have carrots, sweet potato, squash, petrishka, onions garlic...any good recipe for soup with these ingredients?

essie14

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 8:50 am
1 large onion
3 Garlic cloves
8 baby Carrots
1 Potato or sweet potato
Celery 2 stalks (many times I omit)
butternut Squash, peeled and cut into chunks
1 parsnip 1
2 Zucchini
2 tsp salt
ΒΌ tsp (white) pepper (you can use black but then you will have black flecks in the soup)

Saute onions for 15 minutes in a little olive oil then add in the minced garlic for 5 minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients. Add 5 cups water (cover the contents of the pot) and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for one hour. Puree with blender.

sweetpotato

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 8:56 am
Basically what Essie just posted--I make soup with some combination of these ingredients all the time. You basically just sautee the onions and garlic in a good amount of olive oil, add carrots and sautee a little more... add chopped potatoes and peeled squash with enough water to cover. (do you mean a butternut or pumpkin-y squash, or like a zucchini/summer squash? Zucchini might not meld so well.) Cook till everything is really soft, add some parsley and other herbs, and blend well.

When I make this soup to freeze, I use just enough water to cook the ingredients (so they are covered/not drying out), but not so much water to make it a real soup. I blend it but keep it as a thick puree and store in jars in the freezer. Then I defrost and thin it out as needed to serve it. But if you keep it thick, it takes up a lot less space in the freezer.

You can also add coconut milk to this kind of soup base, with some curry powder for a different flavor.

Surprise

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 3:07 pm
u freeze soups with potatoes?

essie14

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 5:13 am
Surprise wrote:
u freeze soups with potatoes?

The recipe I posted is pureed and freezes amazingly well but I freeze all soups. Even chunky vegetable soup.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen