Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Need Amazing WW Challah Recipe

Chew21

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 5:49 pm
anyone??

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 5:57 pm
This one is amazing
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....allah

Chew21

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 6:16 pm
Thanks! just dont have wheat gluten or best flour Sad

iammom

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 8:14 pm
Overtime cook (Miriam Pascal) has an amazing one. She did it for red star yeast.

Google overtimecook whole wheat challah.

It's delish! (And I'm not really a fan of whole wheat so it's saying something).

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 8:27 pm
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....55440

I've made this many times, we prefer it without the wheat gluten.

be good

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 10:02 pm
been making this recipe for years. so easy and always delicious. (I use white whole wheat flour for most of the flour and 1-2 cups regular whole wheat four. I find the bit of regular whole wheat actually makes it fluffier and less dense/chewy.)

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....47972

thanks

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 10:27 pm
Whole Wheat Challah – Bread Machine

This recipe is intended for a 2 lb bread-machine on the dough setting. I now have a 2.5 lb machine so I will put those quantities in parentheses after each item.
The ingredients must be added in order:
1 1/4 cups lukewarm water (1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup oil (1/3 plus 2 Tbl.)
2 eggs
1/2 Tbl. salt
2 1/2 slightly heaping cups bread flour (3 cups)
2 1/2 slightly heaping cups whole wheat flour (3 cups)
Make a dent in the center of the flour with a spoon and add:
2 ¼ teaspoons yeast

I make this every week. Delicious. I posted the original recipe as is, but I make it with white whole wheat flour only.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 8:15 am
Note: there is an interesting shaila that's arisen re ww flour and taking challah. You might need to increase the recipe to be able to avoid the shailos. I find that math-wise it's easiest to increase by 1/3, and then just open a second bag of flour and add more till I get a good consistency. Which is difficult if you've never made it. The five lb. bag is perfect. I guess I'd look at the bag and see how many cups are a quarter of a bag, add that, then if needed add by the quarter cup. I knead by hand.

5 lbs. whole wheat flour

6 packages of yeast (2.25 tsp per package)
1 tsp. sugar
4 tsp. salt
2 c. oil
1.5 c. honey
6 c. lukewarm water

1. Proof yeast with 1 tsp. sugar and 1 c. of the warm water in a small bowl.
2. In a small pot, slowly warm up the oil and honey on the stovetop on low flame. Do not boil.
3. Mix dry ingredients in the mixer, slowly add the warmed oil and honey a small amount at a time, and then proofed yeast.
4. Next, add the rest of the warm water a cup at a time. let the mixer go for about 8 minutes.
5. Turn dough out into a lightly greased bowl and cover with parchment and a towel to let rise for about an hour. Do not allow to rise again.
6. Punch down, take challah with brocha, then shape. You can put some rolled oats on top as a garnish.
7. Bake at 350. Check after about 20 minutes for roll, up to 40 minutes for larger challahs. Make sure to rotate trays so they bake evenly. Best a bit undercooked but golden on the outside.

I have a Kitchenaid that can't handle it all. I mix dry ingredients in my large stainless bowl, then keep kneading. It makes a dough that's not horribly heavy and is easy to work with after rising.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads