Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Would you visit a Kosher Bed and Breakfast?
1  2  Next

newmom1987

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 7:32 am
..near activities like hiking and museums?
..serving 3 kosher meals a day (in the privacy of your room if you desire)?
..certified by the local Chabad rabbi?
..within 3 hours of New York?

How much would you pay for a room, with all meals included?
Have you visited a place like this before?
Would you like to? Why or why not?

mfb

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 8:36 am
I would like to see such a place, but preferably with options of some nicer rooms/suites.

newmom1987

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 8:44 am
mfb wrote:
I would like to see such a place, but preferably with options of some nicer rooms/suites.

I agree. I think that a beautiful house and a scenic setting are important qualities in a bed and breakfast.
What do you think would be a reasonable rate to pay for Friday and Saturday night for example with all meals included? I'm trying to determine if this is a viable idea.

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 8:50 am
There are some kosher B&Bs out there already. If you are not going to be in direct competition with them (different location) then maybe they'd be willing to help you.

Google kosher bed and breakfast. I think there's one in Newport, one in the Catskills, and I think there's another one somewhere in the South.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 8:53 am
When I go away I usually like to be away from it all and have my own space and don't think a kosher B&B would be what I was looking for.

newmom1987

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 9:06 am
amother wrote:
When I go away I usually like to be away from it all and have my own space and don't think a kosher B&B would be what I was looking for.

I hear that. That's why I thought having the option of eating your meals in private would be good for this demographic.
What about not having a minyan on Shabbos? I think we would put an eruv in the yard but that would be it.
I personally would enjoy it.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 10:09 am
newmom1987 wrote:
..near activities like hiking and museums?
..serving 3 kosher meals a day (in the privacy of your room if you desire)?
..certified by the local Chabad rabbi?
..within 3 hours of New York?

How much would you pay for a room, with all meals included?
Have you visited a place like this before?
Would you like to? Why or why not?

I wouldn't; just not me.

But I would not offer lunch. People want to be out and about. They're not likely to return for a meal, and they hate feeling like they "wasted money" by "paying" for a meal they didn't eat. You could offer box lunches for a small additional fee if there's a call for it.

sweetpotato

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 10:16 am
SixOfWands wrote:
I wouldn't; just not me.

But I would not offer lunch. People want to be out and about. They're not likely to return for a meal, and they hate feeling like they "wasted money" by "paying" for a meal they didn't eat. You could offer box lunches for a small additional fee if there's a call for it.

If the B&B isn't near any other kosher food options, they'd need to offer some kind of lunch but it would be better as pre-requesting sandwiches/picnic lunch to pick up in the morning and either eat in room or take out with you.

OP, it sounds great in theory because there aren't many options like this. Whenever my husband and I talk about taking a short trip somewhere, to a scenic location or some such, it's always dampened by thinking about having to bring a bunch of food, find kitchen accommodations, and/or eat cold food in our rooms for the whole trip. But my experience with kosher hotels so far is that they are really expensive for food that is just OK. I can get behind the expensive part if the food is truly decent. It can be simple, but needs to be good.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 10:18 am
newmom1987 wrote:
I hear that. That's why I thought having the option of eating your meals in private would be good for this demographic.
What about not having a minyan on Shabbos? I think we would put an eruv in the yard but that would be it.
I personally would enjoy it.

If you were in a really exotic location and it was so isolated that there aren't even enough Jews around for a minyan then maybe I'd consider it if it wasn't more expensive than renting a hotel and bringing my own food Wink

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 10:20 am
if there is no minyan then I think the clientele fot shabbos would be limited. I've heard of people calling up a caterer and asking if they can tag along next time he makes a simcha in a hotel. They eat separately from the simcha, in their room... so it ends up being similar to what you are describing but they have a minyan.

yogabird

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 10:24 am
There's one in Vermont, right next to Acadia national park. They serve kosher meals certified by the LOR. They are booked solid spring through fall.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 10:26 am
yogabird wrote:
There's one in Vermont, right next to Acadia national park. They serve kosher meals certified by the LOR. They are booked solid spring through fall.
is that the one that's near bar harbor? or is that a diff one?

yogabird

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 10:27 am
Yes that's the one.

yogabird

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 10:58 am
Oops I meant Maine.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 11:09 am
I would love this as shlepping food is not a vacation to me. However I am on a gluten free diet and it's challenging to find places that can accommodate, even though it's not necessarily that difficult for a cook if they are willing to try.

For instance, when attending a wedding I try to call ahead in the morning since if you ask at the wedding itself, often the chef has left and nobody knows what has flour ... etc. And some places have been extremely accommodating. But last week I called one caterer & the women who answered, who was perhaps having a hard day, said "No, everything has gluten!" which was clearly not true, I mean, I did eat the baked salmon and carved turkey at the shmorg.

debsey

Post Fri, Nov 11 2016, 12:10 pm
It would depend on the hechsher for me. If I trusted the hechsher, I'd probably give it a try.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 4:29 am
Not near NY. In Europe yes
There's something http://aperos-musique-blesle.c.....olda/

theotherone

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 6:04 am
I find most of these places are WAY overpriced. I would rather find a small place on airbnb and bring my own food.
I have no idea how people pay for expensive vacations but I know me and most of my friends/family wouldn't go for such a thing.
I would do it for maybe $250 a night all inclusive but not more.

sky

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 6:20 am
I would need a private bathroom.

Personally the kosher certification is very important to me. So if it was certified by a chabad rabbi that I didn't have personal references for I probably wouldn't eat the food. I would maybe like a way that I could bring my own food along.

there is a kosher B&B in Hunter.
http://www.harrishunter.com/about_us.htm - but with shared bathrooms - I would never do that.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 6:32 am
I agree that I would want a nationally recognized hechsher and good food. Rewarmed Empire chicken nuggets with a side of rice for $30 a meal isn't going to win me over. Within 3 hours from New York means travelers can bring along their own food.

If you are really far away from kosher food sources, that's another story. I've been to too many places where the attitude is just be glad you have kosher food. In places where kosher restaurants have to compete with nonkosher ones, the food and prices are better. Even if you are not competing, act as if you are.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics