Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Update on Huma Abedin- Immense sadness and disappointment
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 5:55 pm
Anthony Weiner is not Jewish.

debsey

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 6:22 pm
Raisin wrote:
I can't imagine an anti semitic person would marry a Jew.

(doesn't mean she isn't anti Israel though, which is the modern form of anti semitism. Ie Jews are ok, as long as they don't get too uppity and start wanting their own state. That right is only reserved for xtians and Muslims.)

and marrying a liberal Jew who holds this position is even better because then you can say "I'm not an anti-Semite, I just don't believe in the state of Israel and I think people who bomb Jews there are great" Look, I"m married to a Jew. I love Jews. Provided they know their place.

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 6:27 pm
amother wrote:
Anthony Weiner is not Jewish.

Wikipedia, YWN and the JTA says he is.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 8:00 pm
ora_43 wrote:

Seriously (and theoretically, because I don't know Huma Abedin at all), someone could have zero problems with Jews (or hispanics, or blacks, etc) as individuals as long as they are the "right kind," but still be racist against Jews who are the "wrong" kind.

Unfortunately like many women on this site.

rfeig613

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 9:23 pm
I sadly think Weiner is a Yid. His mother is Jewish.

But here's the tachlis. Huma Abedin should be under investigation for her ties to the Muslim Brotherhood and her role in the destruction of the emails and the bleaching of the computers.

I don't have any sympathy for Huma. Consider the following: http://nypost.com/2016/08/21/h.....ears/

If Weiner is really a yid, it's a rachmanus that this marriage fell apart. It spares him of the aveira of being intermarried.

ora_43

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 5:42 am
amother wrote:
Unfortunately like many women on this site.

With apologies for keeping a dead thread going and going wildly off topic -

There's 1. disliking specific elements of a certain ethnic/racial group's predominant culture 2. disliking specific subgroups of that ethnic/racial group 3. disliking anyone who shows any of the major identifying signs of membership in that group.

(1) is (usually) fine and can even be a good thing, (2) is bigoted but not racist, (3) is still racist.

Eg #1:
- it's fine to like Jews but not like gender differences in Jewish practice
- liking most Jews but disliking chassidim is bigoted, but not anti-Semitic
- liking Jews as long as they don't identify as nationally or ethnically Jewish, or as long as they don't "look Jewish," have a Hebrew name, or practice Judaism - is still anti-Semitic.

Eg #2:
- it's fine to have a problem with anti-Semitism in Muslim countries
- liking most Muslims but not Syrian Muslims specifically is bigoted but not racist
- liking Muslims as long as they aren't "too religious" or don't wear clearly Muslim clothing is still anti-Muslim.

So - people on imamother are sometimes bigoted, but very very rarely anti-Semitic.

And again, with the disclaimer that none of this is about Huma Abedin, who I don't know and have no reason to believe is anti-Semitic. Just talking about racism + anti-Semitism in theory. Because it's more interesting than what I'm supposed to be doing.

sped

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 5:54 am
ora_43 wrote:
With apologies for keeping a dead thread going and going wildly off topic -

There's 1. disliking specific elements of a certain ethnic/racial group's predominant culture 2. disliking specific subgroups of that ethnic/racial group 3. disliking anyone who shows any of the major identifying signs of membership in that group.

(1) is (usually) fine and can even be a good thing, (2) is bigoted but not racist, (3) is still racist.

Eg #1:
- it's fine to like Jews but not like gender differences in Jewish practice
- liking most Jews but disliking chassidim is bigoted, but not anti-Semitic
- liking Jews as long as they don't identify as nationally or ethnically Jewish, or as long as they don't "look Jewish," have a Hebrew name, or practice Judaism - is still anti-Semitic.

Eg #2:
- it's fine to have a problem with anti-Semitism in Muslim countries
- liking most Muslims but not Syrian Muslims specifically is bigoted but not racist
- liking Muslims as long as they aren't "too religious" or don't wear clearly Muslim clothing is still anti-Muslim.

So - people on imamother are sometimes bigoted, but very very rarely anti-Semitic.

And again, with the disclaimer that none of this is about Huma Abedin, who I don't know and have no reason to believe is anti-Semitic. Just talking about racism + anti-Semitism in theory. Because it's more interesting than what I'm supposed to be doing.

I liked your post, but I love your last line. Off to work, I go!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics