Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Who is your favorite Jewish author?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

doctorima

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 2:48 pm
debsey wrote:
OMG - have not thought about that book for years. I LOVED it when I was a little kid. Is it still in print? Does anyone know?

It looks like it's out of print and a fortune on Amazon, but I did find it for a reasonable price if anybody wants to order it:

http://www.jewishusedbooks.com.....28057

workaholicmama

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 2:55 pm
ibelongtosomebody wrote:
I'll start.
Yael Mermelstein
Etka Gittel Schwartz

I opened this thread to post these 2. ....

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 3:02 pm
I like Rachael Lavon, Dov Haller and Ahuva Parnes

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 1:40 am
[quote="debsey"]Rachel Pomerantz (A Time To Rend, a Time To Sew, Wildflower, etc.) IMHO, she's in a whole 'nother realm of excellence from Riva Pomerantz. It's serious novel vs. soap opera.

Couldn't ignore this.
I don't think this is an observation on these two authors but on the evolving frum literary world. Seems most novels, even the ones written by today's "top" authors, are more soap opera-ish than "serious novel." And ppl lap it up.

Maybe it's because nearly all authors named here publish novels almost exclusively first as serials. Maybe it's because ppl don't have patience for lengthy, slower-paced, deep books anymore. Even the longer ones are mostly action-based and don't compare to the thick novels we grew up with, the ones you could lose yourself in and return to, again and again.

There are a few exceptions but not many.

Sad.

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 1:52 am
Franz Kafka
Jonathan Safran Foer
Christopher Hitchens
Michael Chabon

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 2:03 am
I loved Rachel Pomerantz's older books and really disliked the last one I read. I forgot the name. It was a few years ago.
I also loved Esti Florans "conquer the darkness" and disliked a recent book she wrote (I think it was called "lift me higher"? or something similar)
Same with m. bassara

I'm not sure why, either the quality went down or my taste went up...

Shuly

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 5:19 am
As a teenager, I loved Libby Lazewnick's books

PAMOM

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 9:42 am
Adding to Dr Mom's list: Joseph Heller, Philip Roth, Cynthia Ozick, David Grossman, Amos Oz, Yehudah Amichai. More? Are you looking for ideas or just curious?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 9:46 am
amother wrote:
I loved Rachel Pomerantz's older books and really disliked the last one I read. I forgot the name. It was a few years ago.
I also loved Esti Florans "conquer the darkness" and disliked a recent book she wrote (I think it was called "lift me higher"? or something similar)
Same with m. bassara

I'm not sure why, either the quality went down or my taste went up...

Interesting because my teens did not like Conquer the Darkness, but while they found it a bit wordy and skipped around a bit, they liked Lift Me Higher and her other recent one, forgot the title, much better. They found it to be much more real.

BasMelech120

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:10 am
Ben Shapiro

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:13 am
Amother seafoam, there is some elegant Judaica writing out there, but I hesitate to name names if I don't name everyone who's here on imamother.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 1:08 pm
PAMOM wrote:
Adding to Dr Mom's list: Joseph Heller, Philip Roth, Cynthia Ozick, David Grossman, Amos Oz, Yehudah Amichai. More? Are you looking for ideas or just curious?

I love Ozick. I also enjoy Singer, Malamud, Bellow, Mark Helprin, Primo Levy, Potok, Maus, and Yaffa Eliach. I tend to be rather old school when it comes to Jewish authors. I've recently found Eliach and she is a great writer.

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 1:23 pm
Kafka, Hitchens, Roth, Malamud, Lev Grossman, Dina Rubina, Naomi Ragen, Masha Gessen

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 1:31 pm
DrMom wrote:
Franz Kafka
Jonathan Safran Foer
Christopher Hitchens
Michael Chabon

Alice Hoffman

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 1:40 pm
[quote="doctorima"]It looks like it's out of print and a fortune on Amazon, but I did find it for a reasonable price if anybody wants to order it:

http://www.jewishusedbooks.com.....uote]

I was so surprized when I opened the link. this woman was my principle!. she was an amazing woman. a real educated woman from a chasidish background with so much knowledge and so much charisma and strength. she is something special. her daughter is atarah malach. she writes books too. on parenting. she is amazing too. she writes on marriage too. shes amazing. forgot the name.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 1:48 pm
Shuly wrote:
As a teenager, I loved Libby Lazewnick's books

She's still my favorite!

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 1:54 pm
Yaffa Ganz!

lora

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 2:36 pm
Yael Mermelstein, Etka Gittel Shwartz

oliveoil

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 2:45 pm
Karen Hesse

fbc

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 4:09 pm
MEIR URI GOTTESMAN. HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room