Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Camp mommy and heat
1  2  Next

amother
Red

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 3:07 pm
I'm contemplating doing mommy camp. We have sprinkler parks that my kids can go in to but that doesn't help the mother sweltering in the heat? How do you manage the heat? Unfortunately I don't know of shaded playgrounds here Sad

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:17 pm
Where's "here?"

amother
Red

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:27 pm
not in NY or lakewood Wink I'm not expecting suggestions of specific playgrounds- just general advice of how to deal with the heat. The weather is probably similar to tristate area- used to live there, you know hot but not like Arizona or anything. I just am sensitive to heat.

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 8:43 pm
you bring brimmed caps ... or get a beach umbrella

freeze juice boxes & water bottles to keep hydrated

make easy picnic lunches

use lots of spf50 for protection from the sun

go to the zoo/science center/museum on free days

read books at the library

buy a kiddie pool & wade with the kids in your backyard

the list goes on ... most importantly have FUN !!!

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 8:44 pm
I go in the sprinklers with them. I don't go in long enough to get soaked, but it keeps you cool until you dry. go back in the sprinkler when that happens. also, frozen water bottles, hats with brims, sunglasses, and cotton clothing with long sleeves. long skirts help as well. they provide cooling shade.

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 8:59 pm
If you're sensitive to heat then you'll want to focus on indoor things, spend time in the library, plan crafts and such at home, look for free kids days at museums and such.

I find that watery parks or parks near waterfronts are cooler even if you're not the one in the water. Sitting on a bench near my kids going in the sprinkler is much cooler than sitting on a bench in a park without a sprinkler. I guess some of it diffuses into the air or something.

Do your outdoor things early or late, stay away for a couple of hours on each side of midday.

If or in case there's no shade, bring an umbrella.

And shop around for parks that do have shade. You don't know of any but it's a good time to explore. You never know what's out there that you didn't know about yet.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:29 am
You're getting me so confused. Isn't the winter coming? You have to think of the summer now?

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:31 am
yo'ma wrote:
You're getting me so confused. Isn't the winter coming? You have to think of the summer now?

Perhaps she lives in the Southern Hemisphere. Or she's already through her Pesach cleaning, and needs something to think about.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:36 am
it's summer in australia ... Sunny Flower

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:41 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Perhaps she lives in the Southern Hemisphere. Or she's already through her Pesach cleaning, and needs something to think about.

I know that. I live in the southern hemisphere and summer is almost here, just 3 more weeks of school.

animeme

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 10:42 am
Maybe now is when she'd need to sign the kids up for camp, and she's trying to plan ahead.

I can totally relate to OP. I also hate the heat. It's not so simple to keep the kids inside when you can't handle being outside. At least where I am, going outside late in the day isn't a great option because of all the bugs. So that means getting up early in the morning to get everyone out, and a bunch of rambunctious kids who want out later in the day too.

No good advice, except maybe to partner with another mom doing camp mommy, and you take the indoor activities while she takes the outdoor ones.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 5:55 pm
op here- don't worry it's winter by me and no my house isn't cleaned for pesach- you guys make me laugh though! I'm just worrying about it already, not sure I want to send my daughter back to where she went last year that's all.

benny

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 5:59 pm
I do camp mommy many summers and already planning! Pretty soon a decision needs to be made if sending kids to camp.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 6:09 pm
thanks Benny- you are making me feel better Smile

benny

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 7:07 pm
Oh and I love the heat 😂 Don't know if I would manage it otherwise.

reality mom

Post Wed, Nov 23 2016, 11:59 pm
I am also sensitive to heat. Stay out of direct sun, and stay hydrated.
I would spend most days at the beach, where its so much cooler and you can always get wet if youre hot. Costco sold these adorable huge shade umbrellas this summer that can be twisted into the sand for shade.
There are plenty of indoor museums, kids soft play areas, etc. where you can spend the day in the air conditioned facilities.
Lots of luck!

amother
Red

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 5:48 pm
op here. so we are doing mommy camp in the end and I'm actually excited! We've started putting together a summer bucket list of things my older dd wants to do that I'm ok with and I think it will be fun Smile

I was wondering if anyone knows of any wide brimmed hats that they can recommend that I buy that will either cover all my hair or some other suggestion to make that work?

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 6:20 pm
Btw, walmart & similar stores have little fans on spray bottles, great way to keep cool and refreshed.

esuss

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 11:00 pm
I found one in Costco. Made of straw wide brim and covers most of my head. I would wear snood under it though. But it seems like a great sun hat.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 4:18 am
Try a pretied, swim cap or do-rag under the hat. Sporting goods stores have. Hats with good coverage, but not very stylish.
There are also visors that provide great coverage that may be better for you than a regular hat since you will have only one covering.
My mother had a baseball cap with a solar powered fan in the visor. It feels good if you wouldn't be too embarrassed!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics