Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Don't want to work full time

amother

Post Sun, Sep 02 2007, 1:48 am
I was hired about a year ago to work 4 days a week 9-3 Mon-Thur in a one girl office in a basement. Now that we have moved to proper office space, not in my boss's basement, it's still a one girl office but she wants me to work 9-5 and Fri half day or she'll have to let me go because she needs someone full time now. I think she's looking for an excuse to lay me off and hire someone new. I told her I can work 9-5, 4 days a week but Fridays I probably can't, it's just too much. I really want this job, but feel she will let me go if I don't assure her I will work Fridays also. Anyone have any input????

justanothermother

Post Sun, Sep 02 2007, 4:27 am
Is it work that needs to be done at a specific time? Do you need to be there answering phones or what not?

YALT

Post Sun, Sep 02 2007, 8:30 am
if it's just answeringphones, maybe she can transfer phones to house for Fridays? If it's other work that can be done any time, try to get her to allow you to get all work done Mon-Thurs, or maybe Sundays.

Worst comes to worst, if she's really just looking for an excuse to lay you off... where are you located? If it's CH, maybe I'll take the job? But ONLY if you're really not staying! I'm NOT looking to take away someone's job.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 02 2007, 9:12 am
I had that..the job grew to meet the company's needs, not nec. my own.

Nothing is forever. Either your boss can work with you, if she values you as an employee, and hire someone to work the other half day, or you need to find something new.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 02 2007, 9:47 am
You're right chocolate moose, if she valued me as an employee, she would not be so insistent that I work Fridays seeing that I really don't want to. She would try to work with me. It probably is time for me to move on, but you know, you get comfortable and it's so hard to go interviewing again and find something new........ Should I have an open talk with her and try to convince her that it can work without Fridays, give her notice that I'm leaving, or wait till she fires me??? (She has been acting quite cold lately, and we used to get on great)

amother

Post Sun, Sep 02 2007, 12:21 pm
OP here again. Chocolate it's not that I don't want to work Fridays, I wanted to take some Sunday courses and it will be impossible to work 5 days and take courses on Sunday , so I really need Fridays off. But why should she care, right? I'm afraid to have a frank discussion with her: that will just give her an opening to tell me she'll just find someone else. BTW this job is in Boro Park.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 02 2007, 6:06 pm
Would she be interested in job sharing; you work 9-1 and another woman works 1-5?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 12:48 pm
Don't Leave! don't leave until you have a job. It's not worth saving face. If she fires you, you can at least file for unemployment and get some compensation. I guess you ahve to make a decision if you want to give her Fridays, or look or something that fits your schedule. Is it that great a job?

momo2boys

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 1:13 pm
You be the one to let her know what you want, don't let her see that you're desperate for the job cause she'll use it: "if you want the job you have to work:....." YOU tell her: " I'm willing to work these & these hours & days." see what she says, if she says you're fired, so be it, I'm sure you'll find a better job, for your hours. and if she really wants you, she'll go by your hours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics