Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Girls school monsey
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 1:54 pm
I cant figure out where we would fit in best. I am a few years off as my daughter is well, a baby. But this topic keeps coming up in my mind so I figured doesn't hurt to ask.

We are middle of the road. My husband wears some chassidish levush. Beard. White shirt. I wear regular hosiery, a sheitel about 7 inches below my shoulder, skirts that hit my knees. Don't wear tight skirts that ride up past my knees when I sit. I wear nail polish but usually clear or light colors. We use unfiltered internet. The computer is locked. The kids are allowed to watch movies on netflix with our approval. I let them google things but only if I am there. We go to the library and take out kosher secular books. Hope I am painting an accurate picture. We are very frum but no frills. My husband has his levush but doesn't have expectations that his kids will be chassidish. We value secular education. We don't speak yiddish at home at all. When I look at the options I worry that we won't fit in nicely in any school.

momX4

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 2:26 pm
I'm just curious as to which yeshiva your boys attend. Based on your post it seems like you have older boys and a baby girl.

I know plenty of girls in Bas mikra whose fathers wear chasidish livush, don't know anyone personally with a shtreimal. That doesn't mean that there aren't any there.

Bas mikra is a school that has made great improvements in their education recently.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 2:32 pm
Not sure if bad mikroh has nail polish wearing mothers. I think YSV girls school is a good fit. It's a very frum school, I was very impressed when I attended the graduation

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 2:50 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Not sure if bad mikroh has nail polish wearing mothers. I think YSV girls school is a good fit. It's a very frum school, I was very impressed when I attended the graduation

Worried about the tuition in ysv.

Would my daughter feel comfortable bringing girls home if her father has a beard (tied up. Not trimmed).

Also we are very plain ppl. Is ysv more well to do.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 2:57 pm
Yes. My nieces go there and their father wears a bekesha and not long ago put on a shtreimel. Not sure if it's considered a " ritzy" school or not.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 5:25 pm
Ysv is not considered a ritzy school. They a have a very big mix of girls-ritzy, a tiny bit ritzy, not ritzy, and not at all ritzy. Smile all types.
And because theres all types, the girls get used to seeing all types of parents-fathers with trim beards, fathers that are clean shaven, and fathers that have long yeshivish beards.
I think you'd do fine there. Based on the description of yourself, you'd fit right in.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 6:06 pm
Do you think it's too much to the left for the way I described myself?

And what is the story with tuition?

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 7:47 pm
amother wrote:
Do you think it's too much to the left for the way I described myself?

And what is the story with tuition?

Not everyone pays full tuition. You can fill out an application and provide your tax returns.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 9:14 pm
Bas Mikroh, YSV, and maybe Chofetz chaim is a good choice for you.
My neighbors daughter is in Bas Mikroh, he wears a shtriemel.
Good luck!

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Nov 30 2016, 9:22 pm
How about the new bais Yaakov. My husband says I didn't post properly. He said I should mention that we daven in a shul of bnei torah. That we value torah and mitzvos above all else. We value a warm davening and a torahdik shabbos meal.

Post Thu, Dec 01 2016, 5:08 am
amother wrote:
Not everyone pays full tuition. You can fill out an application and provide your tax returns.

75% don't pay full tuition.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 11:44 am
You and your husband sound like such sweet people. Smile
My impression of the new BY is that it is for very yeshivish people, so I don't think that should be on your list of schools to consider.
I think that Bas Mikrah could work for you, or YSV. They're both excellent schools.

Last edited by amother on Sat, Aug 25 2018, 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 2:57 pm
1ofbillions wrote:
You and your husband sound like such sweet people. Smile
My impression of the new BY is that it is for very yeshivish people, so I don't think that should be on your list of schools to consider.
I think that Bas Mikrah could work for you, or YSV. They're both excellent schools.

Are you making fun of us? Sad

When you say too yeshivish do you mean too frum or the opposite of chasidish?

My husband is concerned that the ysv type family is not as torahdik as us and wants our daughter to have friends with similar values to us. For example, My husband learned for 10 years out of high school. Even though our lifestyle today is not so much that way it is still our highest value. We don't want our kids watching movies as they grow up, listening to secular music etc...even though we may be doing that we are trying to raise them without it. Does this make sense?

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 3:01 pm
Op here, my husband keeps saying that he wants to send to the new bais Yaakov that's why I am asking. Also bas mikroh I think it's very full, and he thinks that ysv is not our type when it comes to home values.

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 3:23 pm
amother wrote:

We don't want our kids watching movies as they grow up, listening to secular music etc...even though we may be doing that we are trying to raise them without it. Does this make sense?

You don't want your kids exposed to in their friends' houses what they are already exposed to in your house?

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 4:49 pm
Squishy wrote:
You don't want your kids exposed to in their friends' houses what they are already exposed to in your house?

Yes and no. When the kids are in the car we only have jewish music on. The movies my kids watch don't have any boy girl stuff. I wouldn't let my kids socialize with the opposite gender once they get older. I cover up completely knees, collarbone. I think we are very yeshivish in a lot of ways. I was even considering bais rochel but I think I would get claustrophobic from their rules.

zelda

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 4:56 pm
This is confusing. I'm not from monsey but if u show your kids Netflix at home then you can't expect them not to watch when they aren't at home? Chinuch begins at home.

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 5:03 pm
zelda wrote:
This is confusing. I'm not from monsey but if u show your kids Netflix at home then you can't expect them not to watch when they aren't at home? Chinuch begins at home.

Only clean movies. Like really really clean. Is this way out not yeshivish? I have a really yeshivish friend who let's her kids watch sometimes on you tube which is way worse with commercials.

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 5:33 pm
amother wrote:
Only clean movies. Like really really clean. Is this way out not yeshivish? I have a really yeshivish friend who let's her kids watch sometimes on you tube which is way worse with commercials.

Can you help us out and give us the names of some 'really clean' movies? These terms are subjective and its easier to get a handle on what you mean with an example or two. TIA.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:

When you say too yeshivish do you mean too frum or the opposite of chasidish?

My husband is concerned that the ysv type family is not as torahdik as us and wants our daughter to have friends with similar values to us. For example, My husband learned for 10 years out of high school. Even though our lifestyle today is not so much that way it is still our highest value. We don't want our kids watching movies as they grow up, listening to secular music etc...even though we may be doing that we are trying to raise them without it. Does this make sense?

Chas veshalom! Not making fun of you at all. So sorry it came across that way.

If you have a rav in Monsey that you are close with, perhaps it would be a good idea to discuss this topic with him so as to gain clarity. Or even one that's not in Monsey- I think it would help you a lot if you'd lay everything out on the table and then hear a wise outsider's perspective on it. Just a friendly suggestion. Smile

Last edited by amother on Sat, Aug 25 2018, 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics