Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
S/0 real or disposable. What is the price of sanity?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:28 pm
cuffs wrote:
Someone once told me it's cheaper for her to use dishes on yomtov and then hire a cleaning lady to wash them. The fancy disposables are super expensive.

Cheaper than what?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:36 pm
PF, I think she means cheaper than using the fancy disposables that look almost like real (though lightweight) dishes. They can cost almost a dollar each. So I can see how it adds up over four meals during yom tov.

Here's the thing, though: For me, it's not the plates that are a big deal to wash. It's not even the cutlery. It's everything else. The endless pots, roasting pans, serving dishes, and salad bowls. You can't buy disposable ones, and you can't put a lot of that in the dishwasher. (I use stainless steel pots and pans, and most of that does not do well in the dishwasher.) And even if you could, barely anything fits in, so you'd have to do 3 or 4 loads, which takes forever, much longer than washing and drying by hand. And anyway you can't do it on yom tov.

So honestly, there's no solution that really works for me. I am just stuck washing dishes, and it takes a very long time when everything is considered.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:47 pm
I use all real after doing it for so long using disposable just feels so wasteful(I don't judge if you do ) I don't have a dishwasher and I do have cleaning help but not for my didhes. I do use some disposable like cups we use half real half disposable and pans I have half and half I don't have a lot of room to hold so many real pans.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:47 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
PF, I think she means cheaper than using the fancy disposables that look almost like real (though lightweight) dishes. They can cost almost a dollar each. So I can see how it adds up over four meals during yom tov.

I figured.
I've never gone for the priciest stuff. You can pick one thing to buy at ultra-pricey and get maybe scroll ware, or clear plates, pretty napkins.
But different strokes.

pause

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:20 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:

Here's the thing, though: For me, it's not the plates that are a big deal to wash. It's not even the cutlery. It's everything else. The endless pots, roasting pans, serving dishes, and salad bowls. You can't buy disposable ones, and you can't put a lot of that in the dishwasher. (I use stainless steel pots and pans, and most of that does not do well in the dishwasher.) And even if you could, barely anything fits in, so you'd have to do 3 or 4 loads, which takes forever, much longer than washing and drying by hand. And anyway you can't do it on yom tov.

So honestly, there's no solution that really works for me. I am just stuck washing dishes, and it takes a very long time when everything is considered.

1000% agree!

Dishes are the easiest thing to wash, flat, easy to hold in one hand and rinse off in a second.
It's the oddly shaped things I hate washing: pots, mixing bowls, food processor parts, etc.
I end up using lots of aluminum pans to avoid cluttering the sink. I'm not happy about it, but THAT is the price of my sanity.

On days that I use pots/blender/mixing bowl, I'm anyway washing all these things, another few real plates each day won't drive me insane.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:22 pm
PF, I have used the pricey stuff when making meals for a large crowd at a simcha, where you don't have enough real dishes and you don't want to use cheap disposables.
Otherwise, I just use my regular dishes. As I've said, it's not washing a stack or two of plates that takes me time.

This past Sukkot, I used disposables (not the expensive kind) in the sukkah, and afterwards felt stupid for doing it. I still had loads of dishes to wash, and I hadn't enjoyed eating off Dixie plates nearly as much as eating off china or Corelle or stoneware. I just like the feel of real dishes.

How bad is it that I don't even know what scroll ware is?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:25 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:

You are not alone.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:31 pm
pause wrote:
1000% agree!

Dishes are the easiest thing to wash, flat, easy to hold in one hand and rinse off in a second.
It's the oddly shaped things I hate washing: pots, mixing bowls, food processor parts, etc.
I end up using lots of aluminum pans to avoid cluttering the sink. I'm not happy about it, but THAT is the price of my sanity.

On days that I use pots/blender/mixing bowl, I'm anyway washing all these things, another few real plates each day won't drive me insane.

I sometimes use aluminum pans, and have to double them for anything heavy (roasted peppers, roasted potatoes). Then I feel guilty about the environment, and I revert to regular roasting pans.

I agree that blender parts and food processor parts are hard to wash! I hate that task so much I often wind up chopping everything by hand just to avoid it. Which makes no sense, I know.

What I want to know is, why is everybody such a fan of dishwashers if they only wash the easy stuff for you and take many times as long do even that? For most of my life I had two sinks and no dishwasher. Now I have one sink and one dishwasher, and I would trade the dishwasher for an extra sink in a moment if I could. It's not practical because it's expensive to remodel and I'd lose counter space and it would make my house less valuable, but it would make my life a lot easier.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:34 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:

Yasss. The pots and pans are the killer. That's why after a shabbos with company we will often run 3-4 loads, because I put in pots and pans whenever possible. (We have le crueset and they do ok in there).

We also use a fair bit of disposable plates and cups and disposable pans (which I don't love because its lot if aluminum :/) generally real silverware, and two dishwashers that I'm still constantly running between pots pans, real stuff on shabbos, bottles! and silly cups. I have cleaning help only every 2 weeks for a few hours.

I still find staying on top of dishes a struggle.

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:50 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:

You can buy disposable serving trays!! Chinet has them. I bought a pack for yuntif and I loved it!! I also found some at Walmart recently - an 8 pack for $1.97 - a different brand and they were a pattern that I didn't love, but I have used them a few times and it is so nice. I had family in from out of my town and I served on both of these kinds of trays... and used basic but shabbosdik disposable everything on the table - and by the end of shabbos I had less than 1 dishwasher load!! On a normal shabbos when we use all real, we have 2 loads to do, so on Sunday we are unloading, reloading and unloading the dishwasher all still cleaning up from shabbos! When I had my guests, we had 1 load to do and it was all in the dishwasher already and I just had to turn it on... clean up was so much faster.

So, yes, pots and pans are the worst, but if your dishwasher isn't crowded with dishes and serving trays, you have room to wash your pots and pans without backup!!

That all being said, I have been having a hard time finding plastic cups for about 1 cent each... I live OOT so don't tell me about frum stores. Even at the discount/bulk stores they are closer to 2 cents each. Anyone know of where to get weekday plastic cups?

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:57 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
PF, I have used the pricey stuff when making meals for a large crowd at a simcha, where you don't have enough real dishes and you don't want to use cheap disposables.
Otherwise, I just use my regular dishes. As I've said, it's not washing a stack or two of plates that takes me time.

This past Sukkot, I used disposables (not the expensive kind) in the sukkah, and afterwards felt stupid for doing it. I still had loads of dishes to wash, and I hadn't enjoyed eating off Dixie plates nearly as much as eating off china or Corelle or stoneware. I just like the feel of real dishes.

I guess it depends how far your sukkah is from your house. If your sukkah is right out your back door then using real dishes makes sense. If you have to shlep everything down two flights of stairs then using disposable might be your only option.

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 9:00 pm
pause wrote:
1000% agree!

I agree too!!!! Plates, cutlery, big deal!

All other dishes I hate. For me it's a never ending challenge to be on top of my dishes washing. And I use lots of disposable too. My dishwasher is broken now, so it's me doing his job. Wink

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 9:01 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I sometimes use aluminum pans, and have to double them for anything heavy (roasted peppers, roasted potatoes). Then I feel guilty about the environment, and I revert to regular roasting pans.

I agree that blender parts and food processor parts are hard to wash! I hate that task so much I often wind up chopping everything by hand just to avoid it. Which makes no sense, I know.

What I want to know is, why is everybody such a fan of dishwashers if they only wash the easy stuff for you and take many times as long do even that? For most of my life I had two sinks and no dishwasher. Now I have one sink and one dishwasher, and I would trade the dishwasher for an extra sink in a moment if I could. It's not practical because it's expensive to remodel and I'd lose counter space and it would make my house less valuable, but it would make my life a lot easier.

I agree with you about the dishwashers. I would need two or three to clear my kitchen of pots. It takes hours to wash and dry. Plus, my dishwasher doesn't have an easy way to turn off the light that pops on when I open it, so it is useless on Shabbos to clear into.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 9:05 pm
Scrollware is clear, etched plastic plates. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Clear-P.....SFAR4

I use lots of disposable pans on yom tov. I try to line with parchment paper when possible.

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 9:34 pm
Squishy wrote:
I agree with you about the dishwashers. I would need two or three to clear my kitchen of pots. It takes hours to wash and dry. Plus, my dishwasher doesn't have an easy way to turn off the light that pops on when I open it, so it is useless on Shabbos to clear into.

Mine too - but I keep dishtowel half in and half out on shabbos- so even when the dishwasher is "closed", it really isn't and the light never goes on. That way we can put dirty things into it on shabbos.

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 10:13 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
Mine too - but I keep dishtowel half in and half out on shabbos- so even when the dishwasher is "closed", it really isn't and the light never goes on. That way we can put dirty things into it on shabbos.

That a good idea, but I really like an uncluttered kitchen on Shabbos. My house is an open floor plan and friends visit from the door that opens near my kitchen. I think I need a closed room like a laundry room that I can put all the dirty dishes in with sinks and dishwashers - out of sight/out of mind.

While I am dreaming, how about little elves to clean and put them away while I sleep?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:
I guess it depends how far your sukkah is from your house. If your sukkah is right out your back door then using real dishes makes sense. If you have to shlep everything down two flights of stairs then using disposable might be your only option.

Amother violet, you are correct. Back when I lived in Manhattan and had to go down quite a number of flights to the sukkah, I used melanine dishes (light and unbreakable) or disposable. I really miss the city, but the one week that I love the suburbs is Sukkot, when I just get to walk out my kitchen door onto the sukkah on the deck. What a luxury!

nylon

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 10:59 pm
I use real dishes. I prefer it.

Agreed that pots are the worst part. The dishwasher is still a huge help to me because it does all the cutlery, glasses, plates, mixing bowls, and I can do my food processor and mixer bowl but they take a lot of space. The dishwasher does a better job of degreasing things than I do.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 11:43 pm
When I had a small apartment with little sink space/little counterspace/no dishwasher, I put my excess dirty dishes on Shabbos inside my oven. Keepsthem out of sight. Just don't forget about them Wink

eschaya

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 12:52 am
oliveoil wrote:
Except that most people use a lot less real dishes than they do disaposable. You would keep drinking from the same cup all afternoon, let's say, without washing it each time, whereas with disposable, many (most?) people use and throw out and take a new one when they're ready for their next drink.

We actually label our disposable cups with a sharpie marker and use them for a few days. We typically drink only water or seltzer, so there is not sugary buildup, though if I do have juice I'll rinse it out afterwards.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics