Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Names expressing thankfulness/specialness
1  2  Next

tovarena

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 12:32 pm
Hi all,
I'm hoping you can help me out. In the next couple of weeks, we are, IYH, expecting our first babies (twins) after almost eight years of marriage. So aside from naming after relatives, we would also like to add a name for each child that expresses our thankfulness and/or how special they are to us (we don't know if we'll ever be able to have any more, either). I was suggesting to DH - Chaviva as a girl's name (I LOVE that name!) and Baruch as a boy's name. I actually preferred Simcha for a boy, but another family in the community just had a Simcha a couple of months ago so DH doesn't want people to think we're just using the name they picked (whatever!) and he's sorta only so-so on Chaviva. Can you all suggest some other names for both boys and girls that we could add on to other names to express how beloved these wonderful little brochas are? They can be traditional or non-traditional names, though we both prefer Hebrew over Yiddish names. Thanks!

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 12:34 pm
Yehuda (Leah named her son yehuda saying "hapa'am odeh es Hashem" - once more I must thank Hashem)

amother

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 12:37 pm
I love names like Ahuva Leeba (Liba?) or Nechama Leeba because of what they mean.

For a boy, what about Yehuda - doesn't that come from l"hodos?

B"shaa tova, hope everything goes very smoothly from here on....

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 12:45 pm
B'Shaah Tova!

Our son is Netanel Simcha, in recognition of our gift from haKadosh Baruch Hu after a year of treatments.

If it had been a girl, the middle name was either going to be Tikvah, Emunah or Batya.

pappymom

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 1:21 pm
How bout Hodaya for a girl?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 1:22 pm
Our special boy's name is "yakir" meaning dear or precious. Anon bec we hope to use it, G-d willing!

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 1:28 pm
hey if you wait till succos you can use simcha cause of "yom simchaseinu" ...

I love the name Chaviva ...

hey can you name them both simcha if ones a girl and ones a boy ... ?!?!?! What:

and the name Boruch too ...

they both depict blessing and endearment ...

amother

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 1:32 pm
I once knew a girl, born after her mother recovered from a terrible illness, called ALANAH. It was an acronym in Hebrew for "Odeh L'Hashem Noten Habat"

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 1:32 pm
Also Nissim, Refael, Shmuel or Matanyah.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 2:51 pm
Matanya was a rasha, so not a good idea.

Yonatan (Hashem gave), Netanel (ditto), Elchanan (Hashem bestowed), Chananel (ditto) and Yehuda as others have mentioned - for a boy.

Hodaya (thanks), Gila, Rina, Ditza, Chedva (all words expressing joy) - for a girl.

Chani

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 5:17 pm
We named our first son, after many years of infertility, Shmuel Nasan.

yedidya's mom

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 7:00 pm
I was going to suggest a few but they were all mentioned already..
so I'll just give you my kids names which I think fit the bill: my son is yedidya and my daughter is anaelle (as in hashem answered, sort of like eliana)
beshaah tovah

stem

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 7:19 pm
Ahuva or Bracha for a girl
Baruch, Nesanel, Yehonasan, or Yehuda for a boy

boruchhashem

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 7:22 pm
After years of not having, I named my baby Nechama, had it been a boy, we would have given Nachman.

baseballmom

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 7:26 pm
I like a lot of the names suggested already....what about Eliana (my G-d has answered me) for a girl

tovarena

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 7:58 pm
Thanks, y'all...lots of good ideas to think about and run past DH.

greenfire wrote:
hey if you wait till succos you can use simcha cause of "yom simchaseinu" ...

Well, while my "official" due date isn't till after succos, my 38 week date is erev succos (the dr.s have said they want to induce/schedule a C no later than 38 weeks), and if I have to go through succos in as much pain as I am now, I just might rip out all my hair! Tongue Out

greenfire wrote:
hey can you name them both simcha if ones a girl and ones a boy ... ?!?!?! What:

LOL Cute, but one of those naming things that the babies might grow up to hate us for later. LOL Actually, at one point, we were thinking of using Avraham for the boy's name (after a relative). Had we used that and Chaviva, we'd have Avi & Chavi...which, while it gave me a good chuckle after I thought about it, it's another one I can imagine them growing up to hate. shock Since I know what it feels like - my parents coincidentally both have names starting with J and middle initials of C & D, so they named my brother and I, plus one of the cats (not kidding!) so that our initials were JA, JB, JC, JD & JE - I'd rather not be quite so silly with names. Very Happy

Kmelion, I feel silly asking, but what does Shmuel actually mean?
Shalhevet, wouldn't Chananel just be a nickname for Elchanan?
Yedidya's Mom, I LOVE the name Yedidya, what does it mean?

ChavieK

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 8:26 pm
Kmelion, I have a Netanel Baruch, we were stuck on Baruch or Simcha. And if he were a girl we also would have used Batya.Tovarena, I have a friend who has an Avi & Chavie, they are teenagers now & are really fine with it.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 1:49 am
Chananel and Elchanan are the same names, just as Netanel and Yonatan are the same - just the name of Hashem comes at different points in the name.

Shmuel is "His name is G-d"

Then there's Yishai "salvation" or Yishayahu "G-d is my salvation"

ChavieK, DH had suggested Baruch but (and no offense is intended), I don't really care for the name.

A girls name I love, but DH doesn't is Hodaya.

hila

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 2:16 am
Quote:
Shmuel is "His name is G-d"

I think (see sefer Shmuel) thatit is "Hashem heard" as Shama - Kel .

Elnatan for a boy

Or Yistchak ( born after MANY years of infertility, as were many of the avot)

I have also heard Eliana a lot recently.
There is also and inyan to name what you want the child to represent or achieve. So choose names you are both happy with. I am sure that we/ you can find a gamatria to justify it .

Beshaa tova. Hope you avoid the csect if you can.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 2:30 am
The name Shmuel:

Sefer Shmuel Aleph, 1:20

"I requested him from Hashem"

מה' שאלתיו
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names