Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Going from 2 to 3 kids what's it like?

thegiver

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 4:01 pm
I seem to have several friends who regret having large families bec their freedom I guess is more limited. What's it like going from 2 to 3 kids? How can you keep tabs on all of them at once when they are all home (I don't have my kids in school yet for financial reasons). How do you make sure they don't run away? Are you limiting your availability to your other kids? Do you have freedom for yourself to go out?

How does your life change overall?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 5:04 pm
It's like going from man-to-man to zone defense! Truth be told, I was nervous about some of the same things as you and I'm still new to it (#3 is turning 1). Home I can let loose a bit but yeah, I'm still nervous to go places with all three alone or even with dh.

zigi

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 6:29 pm
there is time to get used to it. you already run after 2 kids in the park, now just have the baby in a carrier or stroller while you run. double stroller with a buggy board or carrier. I did take the kids places on my own.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 6:44 pm
I plan to use a harness as my toddler is quick.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 10:10 pm
You only have the run away problem before they have sechel--almost all kids are 3 stay close to an adult. Before that, I have the two babies in the double stroller and the bigger kid walking. My second and third are super easy going, so I hardly noticed a difference adding another one. Going from 0 to 1 however, took 4 years to get used to (and he is still by FAR taking most of my energy). I think it has much more to do with the nature of the kids than the number of kids.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 10:36 pm
It wasn't as hard as adjusting to the first newborn entering our lives. It wasn't as hard when # 2 was born and # 1 was a toddler and I couldn't figure out who to go to first. When #3 was born, I just knew already that the first few weeks will be hard, but then I'll manage fine if I managed before.

srbmom

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 11:07 pm
Quote:

It wasn't as hard as adjusting to the first newborn entering our lives. It wasn't as hard when # 2 was born and # 1 was a toddler and I couldn't figure out who to go to first. When #3 was born, I just knew already that the first few weeks will be hard, but then I'll manage fine if I managed before.

My thoughts exactly. 2 to 3 was the easiest/smoothest transition for me. I'm so much more laid-back and my other kids are helpful enough that I don't really find it much harder having three than 2. But I have pretty large gaps in between each kid - if they were all close in age it may have been different.

For me having my first was a very hard adjustment. I did not know what to do with myself as far as structuring my time, getting out of the house and going places with a baby, taking care of myself, my house, my husband... At this point I feel like I have kids and I'm comfortable with that and the number is not making so much of a difference.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics