Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
How to manage a house of guests and sick kid

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 4:37 pm
Both my parents and in laws are coming this weekend, Friday through Monday. It has to be this weekend for both of them, and they're both traveling to get to us. In both cases, we are part of a larger plan for them to see friends and other relatives who are only around that weekend.

To have both at once, we have to move two kids out of their rooms. One of them is college-age dd. Normally it's not a problem, but it turns out she's sick. She is traveling awhile to come home from a dorm and desperately looking forward to sleeping in her own bed and getting rest and quiet. But she has to move in with her younger sisters, who aren't quiet. The play space we send them to will be occupied by the other child moving out of his room, and has no privacy and no bed, so she can't take it instead.

How can I help her get the rest she needs? Her sisters talk to each other to fall asleep, will likely be going to bed later than she does, and she's a light sleeper. She's also in desperate need of alone time.

Ideas?

Hatemywig

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 4:43 pm
Is asking friends/neighbors/relatives to host Parents and/or Inlaws an option? AirBNB? Hotel? Motel?

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 4:50 pm
Can you set up a makeshift bed in your room for her?

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 6:01 pm
This is a bad weekend to ask people to host. They are all booked up. As for our room, not really, and she needs a real bed. She can crash there during the day, I guess.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 6:18 pm
I would have the younger siblings bunk with me.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 6:22 pm
Can you take the younger kids into your room so she can have her own room?

LittleMissMama

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 7:20 pm
Put extra kids in your own bedroom - thats what we do.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 7:28 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I would have the younger siblings bunk with me.

This. Just air mattresses or whatever you can arrange and crowd your own room just this once so she can rest and get well.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 8:03 pm
I hear that idea. Maybe taking the younger one will be enough to keep the room quiet. I just don't know if I'll be able to keep her out of the room during the day. We'll see.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 8:36 pm
Personally, I would cancel some of the guests. They are coming at their convenience. Just tell them it ain't convenient right now.

(Favorite joke of ours - a farmer in Maine visits his friend.
"Well, Emmott, I see you've gotten yahself a phone".
"Yep."
"Say, Emoott, the phone is ringin'"
"Yep."
"How come you don't ansah?"
"I got the phone for my convenience. And right now it ain't convenient!")

But seriously, you don't want people who are sick to be crowded with others and pass on their germs. Not to mention so much coming and going and noise.

I really would see if either one can just stay home. Or let the friends they want to visit put them up. Or, as mentioned, a hotel.

I am of the sandwich generation and very busy taking care of my parents. But, bottom line, I feel my kids have to come first. (Although I could be wrong...)

little_mage

Post Fri, Dec 23 2016, 7:18 am
Would headphones or earplugs help block out sibling noise so dd can sleep better?

LittleMissMama

Post Fri, Dec 23 2016, 9:50 am
How sick is she? This is life as part of a family. It's never totally quiet, even when you're sick. I'm assuming she just has a general virus - the suggested accommodations should be fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics