Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How much do you make?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Red

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 10:28 am
amother wrote:
I work in a small community hospital, 12 bed ICU. I cover nights. So if you're looking for a "normal" schedule, then this is probably not what you want. But I find that nights as an NP is usually easier than nights as an RN (when the unit is really quiet, I can rest in the call room), except when it's not... :-) (and I have 5 critical admissions and don't end up leaving till 9 am)

Even though I work nights, I have tremendous flexibility with regard to schedule. Basically, I and the other provider(s) sit down together or get on the phone and just talk it out. So I'll say, "I'd like to work x,y,z days this week and a,b,c days that week, anyone mind that?" And if anyone has a problem we are flexible. So I never really get forced into a schedule that I don't want. And I have the option of saying, "so, I can't come in till 10 that night, anyone want to cover a few hours for me?" and usually someone can. The hospital doesn't really care what we do as long as every night is covered and no one is getting too much overtime pay.

Also, keep in mind, if you're making 87k as an RN, good chance you're in a large metropolitan area, so an NP salary in your area would be a lot highter than mine is.

It's really lucky to get coworkers like that. If I have to swap a shift it's nearly impossible.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 10:56 am
I work in finance as a financial analyst and I make about $60k (pre-tax). The people I work with who have been in the field a lot longer than me are making $100k+ so there is a lot of growth potential and I really enjoy what I do. It's a full-time job but I work with a great time and my boss is very flexible when I need off for school events or doctor's appointments, etc.

Edited to add that I do NOT live in the NY area - if I did I would make a lot more.

hayag1

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 11:13 am
PAs - what do you find is a more accurate average salary for PAs? My husband is starting PA school and I would love to know what type of salary to expect when he starts working. I've noticed that on AAPA the highest salary is around 120k... making more is common?

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 11:22 am
hayag1 wrote:
PAs - what do you find is a more accurate average salary for PAs? My husband is starting PA school and I would love to know what type of salary to expect when he starts working. I've noticed that on AAPA the highest salary is around 120k... making more is common?

My dh is at his first PA job - 86k. He couldn't find anything higher for new grad. :-( lots of benefits included. And we are nyc

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 9:09 pm
I'm a speechwriter.
Masters degree.
10 years into my career.
I'm at the management level.
$95,000 - $110,000 per year (pre-tax), depending on how much overtime I work, plus exceptional benefits.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 9:54 pm
Executive Director I earn 175k. 35 hours weekly. Upstate, NY.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 9:56 pm
amother wrote:
I'm a second year assistant principal, making roughly 120K + a generous benefits package and pension plan, as well as a wealth of vacation time. Prior to this, I had 7 years of teaching experience. My hours usually end up as 8-4:30, and I have learned not to take any work home save for about one weekend every 1-2 months. Education is not a super high paying field, but B"H I am quite comfortable.

Do you work in a Jewish school or public school?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 10:00 pm
amother wrote:
Executive Director I earn 175k. 35 hours weekly. Upstate, NY.

Wonder if this is a typical salary for Executive Director of an NYC yeshiva.

Curious what background or degree you need for such a position?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 10:34 am
QueenBee3 wrote:
What does a chief counsel do ? Forgive my ignorance I am curious about your job . What degree do you need to attain such a position? Im thinking of future careers for my kids one day..( would like to give them good recommendations that would help support a family)

We (my team and I) handle all legal matters for the firm. I happen to have a JD/MBA although most attorneys on my staff just have law degrees.

Regarding advice for your kids, most lawyers I spoke to before I applied to law school advises me that unless one is totally committed to working very very long hours in a sometimes stressful environment and has the skills and determination to see things to the end forget law school. I concur with them and would add the following. If your child wants to go to law school, try getting in to the best one possible. That will assure them of having the best choices for a successful career.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 10:43 am
amother wrote:
My dh is at his first PA job - 86k. He couldn't find anything higher for new grad. :-( lots of benefits included. And we are nyc

In my experience NYC pays the least for PAs in this area (interesting because they pay really well for nurses...a new grad RN can make close to $100k for 13 night shifts a month!)

My first job about six years ago in Northern NJ base salary was $85k for 14 shifts a month (split nights and day, no night differential). Because of scheduling got a minimum of 7.5 hours overtime (overtime rate was $60/hr) just for doing sign out. Extra shifts would be at overtime rate. I had excellent benefits--paid about $100/month for PPO insurance (for just me), 1 month PTO, 2 weeks CME, $1500 CME expense, 12 sick days, 7 holidays, 6 personal days (sounds amazing but in reality if you call out sick 12 times you get fired...only really helps if you have extended issue like childbirth and it doesn't carry over year to year and vacations were rarely approved).

I left there after a few months and got a new job but was independent contractor and had NO benefits. I got $60/hr there. I figured the difference between cost of benefits and ended up walking away with slightly more at that rate doing only 12 shifts a month than 14 shifts a month at other place.

I think it is completely realistic to be making $100k starting out though I wouldn't pass up on any opportunity to get experience. Especially if you keep shabbos. I was turned down from lots of jobs because of that (reasonable accomodation only applies if service has more than 25 employees--so even if hospital has countless more employees it doesn't help if they aren't on your service and able to do your job. I think it's uncommon to have that many PAs on a specific service so they can get away with it no problem).

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 10:44 am
amother wrote:
What type facility do you work at where you have a flexible schedule? that sounds amazing. Would love to do acute care np (I personally dislike primary care) but would like to live on normal schedule so hesitant.

Registered nurse night shift 40hrs/wk 12 hr shifts 87k + benefits (free insurance...) first year working. I miss things all the time and sleep all the time... Not best quality of life

Can I ask where you live?
I live in NY, and graduated in 2015. Cannot get a hospital job...all they want is experience.

I currently work mon-fri, 9-3 (except Fridays -1), and earn 65k + insurance which I have to pay in.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:
Do you work in a Jewish school or public school?

Public school. Do Jewish schools give pensions?

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:
Can I ask where you live?
I live in NY, and graduated in 2015. Cannot get a hospital job...all they want is experience.

I currently work mon-fri, 9-3 (except Fridays -1), and earn 65k + insurance which I have to pay in.

I live in nj but commute 1 hr and 15 min- 1.5 hr

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 12:51 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Accurate information on comparative job salaries can be found on every states web pages. There is also national data available from the US dept of Labor. These pages also give good information on projected job demands. For example you can get estimates of how in demand a particular career is currently or in the next four years if you are looking to change careers.

The information for my field is far, far from accurate. I'm really liking this thread

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 1:15 pm
amother wrote:
We (my team and I) handle all legal matters for the firm. I happen to have a JD/MBA although most attorneys on my staff just have law degrees.

Regarding advice for your kids, most lawyers I spoke to before I applied to law school advises me that unless one is totally committed to working very very long hours in a sometimes stressful environment and has the skills and determination to see things to the end forget law school. I concur with them and would add the following. If your child wants to go to law school, try getting in to the best one possible. That will assure them of having the best choices for a successful career.

I only agree with this for someone who will graduate in the top of their class AND is looking to work at a big firm or similar high powered job. I'm a solo, and not a single client of mine has ever cared where I went to law school. I had the chance to go to a lower tier school on scholarship but didn't; that would've saved me some of the student loan debt I now have.

kb

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 1:29 pm
amother wrote:
I only agree with this for someone who will graduate in the top of their class AND is looking to work at a big firm or similar high powered job. I'm a solo, and not a single client of mine has ever cared where I went to law school. I had the chance to go to a lower tier school on scholarship but didn't; that would've saved me some of the student loan debt I now have.

Do you think that you'd be less qualified, or not as well educated, had you gone to a lower tier school? Is there something that makes a "better school" into a better school?

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 2:15 pm
kb wrote:
Do you think that you'd be less qualified, or not as well educated, had you gone to a lower tier school? Is there something that makes a "better school" into a better school?

Good questions!

To answer your first, law school teaches you a very specific type of logical thinking skill, and exposes you to different people, possibilities and connections.

But 99.9% of what you need to know to be an actual practicing lawyer is learned on the job, imo.

I don't have time right now to fully address your second question but I don't think that a better law school is necessarily a higher tiered school.

You would have to research the individual schools and speak with people who went to each of them. Questions to ask would be about research opportunities, publishing opportunities, internship opportunities, clinics, and whether internships lead to helpful future job connections.

cnc

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 2:18 pm
amother wrote:

This sounds pretty accurate. I know that a few years ago the starting salary for PAs was approximately 90k.

mha3484

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 2:31 pm
I work in healthcare recruiting my experience is that PA's will often start out lower due to lack of experience and lack of interest among employers. I have customers in Skilled Nursing, Home Health and out patient clinics who pay around $50 an hour or 100k starting salary for NP's. They all prefer NP's over PA's and pay them better. A typical NP has worked as an RN for a few years at least before becoming an NP so they are more experienced with caring for patients. Many times a PA goes from under grad to grad school without that same experience in between. When people ask me I usually recommend becoming a nurse practitioner over a physician assistant. The job opportunities are more varied.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 3:15 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I work in healthcare recruiting my experience is that PA's will often start out lower due to lack of experience and lack of interest among employers. I have customers in Skilled Nursing, Home Health and out patient clinics who pay around $50 an hour or 100k starting salary for NP's. They all prefer NP's over PA's and pay them better. A typical NP has worked as an RN for a few years at least before becoming an NP so they are more experienced with caring for patients. Many times a PA goes from under grad to grad school without that same experience in between. When people ask me I usually recommend becoming a nurse practitioner over a physician assistant. The job opportunities are more varied.

That's practice dependent. Many prefer PAs who learn in a similar model to physicians and many prefer NPs. Can find similar jobs through the specialties in either field.
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics