Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o mesila
1  2  3  Next

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 8:22 pm
Is Mesila still around and does it actually help people? Do they practice what they preach in terms of their own finances Wink I'm asking as a possible donor.

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 10:30 pm
They ran a series of articles in one of the teen magazines, maybe in Binah or Mishpacha? The series was really nice and I think would have been helpful to anyone who read it.

I've also heard that they have other educational initiatives going on, programs for schools, things like that.

I'm not sure what they offer in terms of personalized counseling but I sure hope that's in the works. You reach a point in adulthood when you realize that each family has so many variables that the tools you have might not be enough to manage it optimally.

The organization you're looking for is this: www.mesila.org

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 9:55 am
They have recently trained many new coaches worldwide who will be offering their services soon.

wife101

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 11:48 am
I recently took the course and found it to be amazing. From what I saw the women there very much live the mesila way. ( I cannot say for the men since I didn't really meet any of them). It is a very good organization.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 8:16 pm
as was recently stated-budgeting usually won't make you have the money that you don't have. I get the impression that Mesila works with the frum community which is often people with no degree, many children.... how do they handle that?

wife101

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 9:17 am
That is correct, Mesila won't make you have more money than you have, however, they have a process which works with each person/family individually based on their situation and address their needs accordingly.

No they are not a tzedukah organization which gives out money. Many times its about learning to manage ones money or learning where one can maximize their income etc.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 9:39 pm
ok another question Wink- why is it that it seems so many frum people have success with other methods like dave ramsey, ynab etc... is it really necessary to have a "frum" organization or you could really just explain your lifestyle to anybody? As it is even within the frum world there are different standards, expectations... we aren't all spending on the same things.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 11:53 pm
Sure you can have success using any method but I do see where it would be helpful to many people who need individual hand-holding to have someone who relates to their specific needs and pre-existing mindsets. If you can take a theory or method and apply it to your circumstances, that's great. Some people do better with a personal coach rather than DIY, and if you go to someone outside our culture you'll waste a lot of time explaining things like bar mitzvahs, day school, and Pesach.

I've found it similar for any personalized service like this (e.g. therapy, life coaching) - you CAN explain your religious needs and situations, and for the right person it may well be worth it, but it is a hassle that could be avoided by using someone more relatable IF all else is equal.

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 1:10 am
amother wrote:
ok another question Wink- why is it that it seems so many frum people have success with other methods like dave ramsey, ynab etc... is it really necessary to have a "frum" organization or you could really just explain your lifestyle to anybody? As it is even within the frum world there are different standards, expectations... we aren't all spending on the same things.

Within the frum world there is different standards but the same periodic spending surges are true for certain months no matter what financial level. Christians spend more for x-mas. We all have increased pesach expenses. Mesila includes categories for this. I suppose the Christians have tithing but it is not as common as masser in the Jewish community. If you don't give masser then you don't include this item in your budget.

You can take workbooks of Mesila and do it yourself. They are excellent.

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 1:38 am
Where can you get their workbooks?

I tried accessing coaching through them about a year ago and they were not available in my area. They sent a pretty basic budget chart in excel (indeed tailored to Jewish expenses) but it wasn't anything revolutionary that I wouldn't have done on my own. I think if coaching is available in my area it would be a more helpful fit for me. I'm not the best with self-direction in this type of thing.

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 8:29 am
seeker wrote:
Sure you can have success using any method but I do see where it would be helpful to many people who need individual hand-holding to have someone who relates to their specific needs and pre-existing mindsets. If you can take a theory or method and apply it to your circumstances, that's great. Some people do better with a personal coach rather than DIY, and if you go to someone outside our culture you'll waste a lot of time explaining things like bar mitzvahs, day school, and Pesach.

I've found it similar for any personalized service like this (e.g. therapy, life coaching) - you CAN explain your religious needs and situations, and for the right person it may well be worth it, but it is a hassle that could be avoided by using someone more relatable IF all else is equal.

Non Jews understand Bar Mitzvahs - they probably will assume you will even want to make a more lavish Bar Mitzvah than yeshivish people make. and they can understand Pesach pretty quickly. The only thing they might not understand/agree with is the importance of private school.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 8:42 am
I'm asking because I'm trying to decide if they are an organization where I should be giving my maaser money. We would like the money to go to places that help people get on their feet as opposed to just keep handing them cash which is why I thought of them. Since its a significant amount of money I just want to make sure it's a good idea first. I'm open to other suggestions as well.
Seeker- do they have something in your neighborhood? They don't have anything in my community and they said they want to expand to as many communities as possible.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 8:44 am
In terms of workbooks, I would just call them up. I know they have for schools that they give out, not sure for adults.

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 9:32 am
amother wrote:
I'm asking because I'm trying to decide if they are an organization where I should be giving my maaser money. We would like the money to go to places that help people get on their feet as opposed to just keep handing them cash which is why I thought of them. Since its a significant amount of money I just want to make sure it's a good idea first. I'm open to other suggestions as well.
Seeker- do they have something in your neighborhood? They don't have anything in my community and they said they want to expand to as many communities as possible.

I think it's worthwhile on account of bringing financial education into schools.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 10:14 am
amother wrote:

Keren Ezer does something like this in my chassidish community. When I reached out to them they told me they don't help out with money, they help people manage their budget. They do hand out vouchers around yomtov time for families who are working hard to stay afloat, because they don't want them to fall into the red zone then, but that's supposedly a minor part of their services.

I wish they would do education in our schools.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 10:19 am
I just wonder why all tzedakah organizations don't require all their recipients to learn about budgeting?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
I just wonder why all tzedakah organizations don't require all their recipients to learn about budgeting?

Like which organizations, for example? Are there any organizations out there that hand people cash?

Tomchei shabbos should make people fill out budget sheets before approving their request for shabbos food?

Then there's the logistical aspect of hiring these financial guidance counselors, training them, maintaining offices, etc. Most organizations are overwhelmed as is.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 10:50 am
amother wrote:

Hmmm. Interesting idea. Maybe to be able to get welfare programs as well you should have to meet with someone too. The point of these programs is to get off it. Help you short term to get you to self sufficiency. This would help! I know when trying to get off of some program it was hard as they kept sending me stuff in the mail. I wanted them to stop! I called them and gave me the runaround.... I didn't qualify nor did I want it. If others could learn budgeting etc then maybe it won't be so unique to try to get off programs...

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 11:46 am
amother wrote:
Keren Ezer does something like this in my chassidish community. When I reached out to them they told me they don't help out with money, they help people manage their budget. They do hand out vouchers around yomtov time for families who are working hard to stay afloat, because they don't want them to fall into the red zone then, but that's supposedly a minor part of their services.

I wish they would do education in our schools.

I know someone who makes almost her entire living by scamming people out of tzedakah. One thing she does is get vouchers from various organizations that don't cross reference, lie about her situation to organizations and rabbis who then vouch for her based on these falsehoods, and then sells the vouchers to pay for personal expenses and luxuries.

Because of this, I'm so wary of who I give to. How many more people like this woman are there out there? I could never give to an organization that hands out money or even vouchers knowing what I do.

Cmon be nice

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 12:01 pm
Problem is when u have 10 kids and dont make big bucks, all the budgeting ideas in the world wont help. Just the basics eg housing, utilities, etc cost so much
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics