Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Fondant where to buy and tips how to use

imamother22

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 1:31 pm
Hi! I need to buy white fondant. Anyone know which stores in mid wood area carry it? What should it cost? Also, how is it used? Do u just roll it out thin and cut the shapes you want, or is it more complicated? Tia

water_bear88

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 1:45 pm
You can roll it out thin and cut out shapes, or you can sculpt it as you would modeling clay. It's generally recommended to dust your hands and work surface with cornstarch or powdered sugar- rolling pin, too, if you're using one. Knead the fondant you're working with until pliable before rolling it out or trying to work it into a shape- it can get pretty sticky, thus the cornstarch/powdered sugar. Make sure you keep whatever you aren't using in an airtight container- Satin Ice brand comes in a bag inside a plastic container, so I try to squeeze what air I can out before closing the lid, though I've still had one container crust over when I wasn't careful one time. Also, if you're using a fair amount at once (say, to roll out multiple figures or several words' worth of letters), don't leave whatever you're not yet working on exposed for long unless you're prepared for it to dry out- clingfilm can be helpful.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 1:52 pm
If there's a Michael's or Joann's craft store in your area, they carry fondant. Or online at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-.....ndant

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 3:38 pm
Cornstarch, not powdered sugar. (Powdered sugar works but can make it even stickier...)

rgr

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 3:44 pm
Watch YouTube videos for ideas and tips on how to use it

imamother22

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 5:45 pm
Tysm everyone!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 5:45 pm
The Peppermill in Brooklyn carries fondant and they also have molds that you can use to make designs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen