Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Is Bina Insane
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

glamourmom

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 2:50 pm
thanks. allblue. I'll try that.
I don't know what zatar is. my spice rack is very basic. would love to step up.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 2:58 pm
glamourmom wrote:

Zaatar is either a plant or a seasoning blend used in middle eastern cooking. The blend contains, zaatar or oregano, thyme, sesame seeds, some lemon zest and marjoram and pinch of salt. If you have middle eastern groceries near you you can buy sumac to add as well but eliminate the lemon zest. I use it in lots of recipes, even on popcorn.

There are lots of versions of zaatar and once you get hooked on it you can learn to vary the proportions of ingredients.

essie14

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 2:58 pm
glamourmom wrote:

http://www.judaicawebstore.com......aspx

https://www.amazon.com/PEREG-Z.....6LK7O

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 3:03 pm
essie14 wrote:
http://www.judaicawebstore.com/-genuine-israeli-zaatar-spice-blend-hyssop-and-sesame-seeds-P2111.aspx

Wow that's spendy. I think it costs me about $6 to make a quart sized mason jar of it. I purchase my spices at my coop so that does lower the costs.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 5:06 pm
Magenta, I also have a huge spice collection. If I were to guess how many jars, I'd say 40.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 5:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Magenta, I also have a huge spice collection. If I were to guess how many jars, I'd say 40.

Oh good I'm glad I'm not a freak. My DDs have amassed huge collections as well. We tend to joke who has the most jars of 'stuff' in the fridge.

I will say, I don't used powdered spices like garlic or onion powders or soup mixes and have never purchased a jar of duck sauce in my life. I can see how those items are important for busy mothers to have. Different strokes for different folks.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 5:17 pm
No particular order

Oregano leaves
Rosemary leaves
Saffron threads
Celery seed
Lemon pepper
Cinnamon sticks
Ground cinnamon
Fenugreek
Nutmeg
Cloves
Mint leaves
Thyme leaves
Bay leaves
Cayenne pepper
Sage
Cumin
Coriander
Ginger
Ground mustard
Mustard seeds
Allspice
Poppy seeds
Sesame seeds
Five spice
Basil leaves
Annatto
Chili powder
Kosher salt
Black pepper
Onion powder
Minced onion
Garlic powder
Smoked garlic powder
Paprika
Smoked paprika
Parsley flakes
Chives
Dill weed
Wasabi
Pickling spice mix
Zaatar
Curry powder
Hawaij
Italian seasoning
Southern fried chicken seasoning.

Most of the mixes are homemade.
Onion and garlic powders are used in spice mixes that I keep ready.
No consume or soup powders.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 5:23 pm
ra_mom wrote:
No particular order

Oregano leaves
Rosemary leaves
Saffron threads
Celery seed
Lemon pepper
Cinnamon sticks
Ground cinnamon
Fenugreek
Nutmeg
Cloves
Mint leaves
Thyme leaves
Bay leaves
Cayenne pepper
Sage
Cumin
Coriander
Ginger
Ground mustard
Mustard seeds
Allspice
Poppy seeds
Sesame seeds
Five spice
Basil leaves
Annatto
Chili powder
Kosher salt
Black pepper
Onion powder
Minced onion
Garlic powder
Smoked garlic powder
Paprika
Smoked paprika
Parsley flakes
Chives
Dill weed
Wasabi
Pickling spice mix
Zaatar
Curry powder
Hawaij
Italian seasoning
Southern fried chicken seasoning.

Most of the mixes are homemade.
Onion and garlic powders are used in spice mixes that I keep ready.
No consume or soup powders.

Aha! I forgot the wasabi and annatto. LoL I bet we could have fun in a kitchen together.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 5:24 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Aha! I forgot the wasabi and annatto. LoL I bet we could have fun in a kitchen together.

I'm sure we could! Wink

Simple1

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 6:22 pm
I'm more like OP - natural mom, I have no patience for long ingredient lists. Though I see here there are plenty who like adventurous recipes.

But I don't use soup mixes (mentioned up thread), instead I use frozen garlic cubes, onions, and basic spices.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 7:07 pm
essie14 wrote:
http://www.judaicawebstore.com/-genuine-israeli-zaatar-spice-blend-hyssop-and-sesame-seeds-P2111.aspx

Please post your best recipe for zatar spice.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 7:29 pm
amother wrote:
Please post your best recipe for zatar spice.

1/4 cup sumac
2 tablespoons thyme
1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
2 tablespoons marjoram.
2 tablespoons oregano
1 teaspoon course sea salt

This is a small batch and you could include cumin if you like. I would do more thyme, but that's my taste. You can whiz this in a food processor or blender or do it old school with a mortar and pestle. Some zaatar recipes use a great deal more thyme. This would be considered a red zaatar, if more thyme were used it would be a green zaatar. These are regional spice mixes so there is an immense variety.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 7:59 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I do Pesach with the kids so my kitchen isn't impacted. I replace as needed. I go through cumin faster than I go through tarragon, coriander goes quickly if I'm pickling meat. I use cardamom in baking and cooking and like to toss it in my tea, so it goes fast, same with star anise.

It's all stored in 4 drawers in my galley kitchen in jars. The tops of the jar lids have painters tape labels. Things like fresh fenugreek and green cardamon go in the freezer. The fridge has it own jars for salted lemons, pickled garlic and pickled ginger, Thai basil pesto and Italian pesto.

Very cool. Said relative also turned me on to trying new things and while my closet's nowhere near as interesting as yours, I do go well beyond the salt/paprika/pepper/onion powder of my youth.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 8:10 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
1/4 cup sumac
2 tablespoons thyme
1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
2 tablespoons marjoram.
2 tablespoons oregano
1 teaspoon course sea salt

This is a small batch and you could include cumin if you like. I would do more thyme, but that's my taste. You can whiz this in a food processor or blender or do it old school with a mortar and pestle. Some zaatar recipes use a great deal more thyme. This would be considered a red zaatar, if more thyme were used it would be a green zaatar. These are regional spice mixes so there is an immense variety.

Thank you
Now I need recipe's to use it in

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 8:12 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you
Now I need recipe's to use it in

Chicken. Popcorn. Homemade pita chips.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 8:13 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Very cool. Said relative also turned me on to trying new things and while my closet's nowhere near as interesting as yours, I do go well beyond the salt/paprika/pepper/onion powder of my youth.

My girls joke that I can cook poor (and kosher) in several different languages. I've been lucky to have had friends of various ethnicities, willing to sample my cooking for authenticity.

Keep exploring and find tastes you like. Find linkages between different countries with the spices they have in common. Mexican food uses some spices that are common in Indian cuisine etc.

Lady Bug

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 8:24 pm
I love exotic spices but I don't stock up because I don't like using old spices. How do you keep your spice collection fresh when you have so many to choose from?

bigsis144

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 8:30 pm
Did OP ever come back and say what the ridiculously exotic spice was?

When I used to live in Lakewood, I once ran out of cumin and went to a neighbor to ask to borrow some and she was all, "I've heard of it, but I would never buy it! You're so adventurous! The most exotic thing in my kitchen is soy sauce!"

I was shocked! Cumin is a staple spice for SO many different cultures -- I use it for Mexican, Indian and Middle Eastern food... it's not "exotic" in the slightest to me.

On the other hand, I'm more annoyed when I see [*cough* clear product-placement for *cough*] kosher-gourmet luxury items like tiny pre-made tartlet shells, or duck confit, or cholov yisroel mascarpone... (I understand these sponsorships are how the writers make money, and I'm happy they can make a parnasa doing this, but I can't afford to cook like that!)

Last edited by bigsis144 on Mon, Jan 16 2017, 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 8:59 pm
Lady Bug wrote:
I love exotic spices but I don't stock up because I don't like using old spices. How do you keep your spice collection fresh when you have so many to choose from?

I buy quality spices at my coop, they are all in airtight jars, away from heat and in the dark. (My coop spices are from Frontier Naturals.)I also eat highly spiced foods every day. It seems I'm filling up to 3 random jars every two weeks.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 9:28 pm
I like being adventurous with spices too. I don't have that many but I enjoy using spices like cilantro, basil, oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin and cayenne pepper.

There are a few spices in my cabinet that I don't use. I'd appreciate ideas.

Sage - is it good in anything except stuffing? I don't make stuffing very often.
Rosemary and thyme - seem to stay crunchy even after cooking - am I doing it wrong?
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room