Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
You or him?

amother

Post Fri, Sep 07 2007, 4:26 pm
who chose the name of you'r children

my Lh picked out the names for our son's

I picked out the name for our girls I used my grandmothers names

the mother usually fills out the birth certificate Wink

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 11:47 pm
we chose them together....we also alternated sides of the family between us. first his, second mine ect. If there was a name either of us did not like, we did not use it.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 4:47 am
My oldest daughter I had the kibbud, with the next child, a girl, my husband had the kibud.

My next child, a boy, was the first from my second marriage and it was my husband's first and I decided to give the kibbud to him.

However, all the names (first and second) were pending spousal agreement.

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 7:47 am
yup ... it's a mixture of what we come up with and what sticks ... a nevuah Wink ...

ny21

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 8:26 pm
nevuah , good answer

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 8:37 pm
I choose the 3 first names, he chose the 2 last. I chose the Jewish name that happens to be the 3 first names. Twisted Evil
(yes in France 5 names is common although the norm is 3, 1 is rare, 2 fairly unusual, more than 5 unusual too although I had a friend with 8 names).

Quote:
the mother usually fills out the birth certificate

No way for me! I couldn't sit, and was too weak to write anyway. It was one day after birth.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 8:45 pm
In many ashkenazic circles the mother gets the first name father gets 2nd...however there are always exceptions, my sil had a girl 1st & noone to name after so sje let dh name after his grandma.

anuta

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 9:09 pm
We chose by consensus for both children. It had to be names that we both liked. My husband is picky, so am I, we had many requirements, so it was very difficult to choose names, we didn't have many acceptable possibilities to begin with.
We did not name after anybody. Well, my son's second name is sort of after my grandfather, but my husband liked the sound and the meaning.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 9:34 pm
In my maternal grandmother's family it was extremely strict.

The first son had the name of the paternal grandfather, the first daughter of the paternal grandmother, the second son = the maternal grandfather, the second daughter = the maternal grandmother.

The others sons were named after uncles and great auncles, by order of age, although of paternal first, and girls after aunts and great aunts, same way.

If a grand parent or (great) uncle/aunt was deceased, the name took precedence over the traditional order.

It was a great honour and a segula for long life to be named after during your lifetime, which is why I named my dd for my grandma ad 120.

This tradition came directly from Spain through the expulsion, along with (almost) automatic cousin marriage, and bearing your father's first name as your second name/middle name, EVEN AS A GIRL.

Very Happy

zigi

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 11:31 am
we alternate, first my dh then me, then as soon as my ds came out I knew his name, my dh added another name to it. the names don't really go together but, ruach hakodesh Wink

TammyTammy

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 11:36 am
All of ours were by consensus as well. We didn't have a "her turn" and "his turn."

Tammy

CAYA

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 12:06 pm
what do u mean? of course we choose it TOGETHER, and my parents actually put in their 2 cents too

shopaholic

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 12:15 pm
We decided that I get the 1st name from my side. I got #2 also because it was a girl & B"H he has both g.mothers. Then he got #3.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names