Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Ordered online from Utah to NY, got charged clothing tax

trixx

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 10:15 am
I shop online all day from sites located throughout the country. I'm never charged sales tax (on items under $110) when shipping /billing to NY.

I recently ordered a $62 dress from a company located in Utah and was charged additional $4 something sales tax. I figured it was an estimate and wouldn't show up in the charge itself. When it did, I emailed them to ask why I was charged tax.

They replied
"There are only 5 states that are exempt from sales taxes statewide. NY, is not one of them. However, in NY you don't pay sales tax on clothing. However, we are based and located in Utah, therefore you were charged a sales tax. "

That's cute except I also ordered stuff from a different company, actually located in Salt Lake City, yesterday and wasn't charged tax either.

I'm positive this company is incorrect, right? Am I missing something? (also, yes I'll fight $4 if I'm not supposed to be paying it)

kb

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 11:50 am
http://blog.taxjar.com/chargin.....ates/

This looks like it says that Utah is different than most states and charges their rate regardless of who buys their items.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 12:02 pm
mostly it is based on where the item is being sent ... but when the item is being shipped from the state of manufacture/store they have to pay taxes and you don't get the break

so when I ordered something in cleveland to new york the tax was not charged because neither cleveland nor new york were associated with the company
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics