Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Ivanka Trump - heter to drive on Shabbos bec pikuach nefesh
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 2:35 pm
Is the rabbi that gave the heter a reliable orthodox rabbi? I am merely curious.

WhatFor

amother wrote:
Technically your title is incorrect. She has a heter to ride, not to drive.

Music
She's got a heter to ri-ide. She's got a heter to ri-I-ide. She's got a heter to ride. But she don't care. (My baby don't care!) Music Music

SixOfWands

Fox wrote:
Hard to know anything -- all of this is coming from second-hand reports.

It's possible that the heter was given in advance for any action the security detail feels is appropriate. As I understand it, the Secret Service detail is like an obstetrician in the delivery room. If the head of the detail says, "Get in the car," you defer to his judgment regarding what constitutes a threat.

It's also possible that this is being widely circulated to make sure anyone planning violence knows she's not trotting around on foot in a Shabbos robe and slippers. Smile

Interestingly enough, when Jack Lew was Chief of Staff (and maybe as Secy of Treasury), if there were an emergency of Shabbat, there was a protocol that the Secret Service would walk him to the White House. So there is a protocol that someone in the Secret Service understands these things.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 2:38 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
For everyone who screams "Daas Torah!", I am sure that there are a lot of heterim that we do not understand, or even agree with. Still, if she has an orthodox rabbi, shouldn't we respect his authority?

You said it. IF.

ally

ומי יודע אם לעת כזאת הגעת למלכות
Wink

Chocoholic

I guess trashing her makes some people feel good. And since they don't understand her rabbis decision they feel such trash talking is not LH.

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 2:42 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
So there is a protocol that someone in the Secret Service understands these things.

Interesting! I'd love to know the inner workings of these things, but I guess that would defeat the purpose!

celesteno

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 2:50 pm
Doesn't anyone remember Joe Lieberman, this stuff was hashed out over and over again. He was the actual Vice Presidential nominee and walked many places on Shabbat. If she was just going to the swearing in ceremony I don't understand how this is necessary. If she's going to be in the parade which is only going to be 1.5 hours long then I could see how she might end up cutting it close due to road closures (but again that stuff is being coordinated by the same people driving so I don't get it). If she's going to the balls then I don't remotely get how that's ok. I would love to know the circumstances this heter applies to as well as who gave it.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 2:52 pm
Fox wrote:
Interesting! I'd love to know the inner workings of these things, but I guess that would defeat the purpose!

When Lieberman was running there was some good coverage of secret service agents walking to schul with him and how his observance could be handled if elected.

Pita

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 3:03 pm
If any of us mere mortals asked for a heter to attend an important family event for non-frum or non-Jewish family, we would be told that we should just skip it or make arrangements to stay within walking distance. Ivanka was not elected and has no obligation to attend.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 3:06 pm
I've actually been wondering what she was planning to do about Shabbos.

It is important for her to be at the actual swearing in. But that is scheduled for 12:00. AIUI she will be staying at the White House on Fri night. I don't see why she wouldn't have time to get there before 4:48?

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 3:07 pm
Joe liberman is a practicing orthodox jew. The rest of the sentance will remain unsaid.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 3:11 pm
amother wrote:
Joe liberman is a practicing orthodox jew. The rest of the sentance will remain unsaid.

"... and so is Ivanka Trump."

Chill, folks. So far, this only comes from some Israeli Republican. Who knows if its even true. And if it is, well, it is. And I'd love to know who the rabbi is. I'd love to go to the local women's march on Shabbat, but I can't get a heter.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 3:11 pm
Pita wrote:
If any of us mere mortals asked for a heter to attend an important family event for non-frum or non-Jewish family, we would be told that we should just skip it or make arrangements to stay within walking distance. Ivanka was not elected and has no obligation to attend.

Just for the record, I totally agree.

I also admit that my comment about birth control came across as a straw man. What I meant was that some people hold by NO birth control, some go by rabbinical guidance, and some consider it a personal decision between the woman, DH, and her doctor.

I'm not weighing in on any of that, I'm simply saying that rabbis often pasken certain things for certain people, depending on their circumstances. Just because Mrs. X got her tubes tied, or Mrs. Y got a heter for condoms, does not mean that we can all take it that it applies to us too, nor does it mean that the rabbis who gave the heterim are "not Orthodox".

boysrus

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 3:13 pm
WhatFor wrote:
Music
She's got a heter to ri-ide. She's got a heter to ri-I-ide. She's got a heter to ride. But she don't care. (My baby don't care!) Music Music

LOVE THIS! I grew up with the Beatles playing in the background in my childhood home Smile
My teenagers play a game called 'ticket to ride', they all groan every time I see them playing with it, because they know I am about to break into song LOL

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 3:16 pm
amother wrote:

Lieberman made the headlines when he walked 5 miles to the Senate (and five miles back) to vote on the healthcare reform bill.

Here is an old article about Leiberman and how he balanced his commitments as a Jew and as an elected official.
https://www.ou.org/jewish_acti.....rest/

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 3:18 pm
tichellady wrote:
Enough about IVanka.do you have nothing else to think about? I can give you some things on my to-do list.
agreed. I for one am much more interested in whether Ivanka sleep trains using CIO or some other method. I would love to discuss this with her.
Other topics of interest to me are: does Ivanka plan to put her kids to sleep before the inauguration? What is she going to do with Theodore? Who is going to make dinner for Arabella?

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 3:23 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
"... and so is Ivanka Trump."

Chill, folks. So far, this only comes from some Israeli Republican. Who knows if its even true. And if it is, well, it is. And I'd love to know who the rabbi is. I'd love to go to the local women's march on Shabbat, but I can't get a heter.

Please sit down, ladies. You may even need smelling salts.

SixOfWands and I agree on something with political overtones. Yeah, I said it.

This whole thing is coming from Mark Zell on an Israeli radio interview. Now, I'm sure Mr. Zell is a fine individual, but I don't see him as having an inside track on any of this.

While I wouldn't be joining any of the women's marches, I would kinda like one of those cute pink hats! Oldest DD, Clementine (who makes me look like a liberal apologist), says she wants to stitch "MAGA" on the front of one just to mess with people's heads.

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 3:26 pm
ectomorph wrote:
agreed. I for one am much more interested in whether Ivanka sleep trains using CIO or some other method. I would love to discuss this with her.
Other topics of interest to me are: does Ivanka plan to put her kids to sleep before the inauguration? What is she going to do with Theodore? Who is going to make dinner for Arabella?

If you follow her on Twitter, she often posts pix on Friday afternoons of her kids dressed for Shabbos. It's cute and fun, and it makes me feel Shabbosdik.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jan 19 2017, 3:27 pm
ectomorph wrote:

Those would definitely be more interesting discussions. I'll admit I've been following stories on where they're planning to go to shul and what schools they're sending their kids to, but then I grew up in DC so it feels more personal- like one of their kids might have the same teachers I did.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics