Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Silly but stressful - just can't make supper decisions

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:04 pm
anon bc this is just embarrassing lol. plus I've posted on recipe groups

I hate making decisions (introvert personality) even and especially menial ones. I would love to make a 2-week menu and simply rotate. I'm a simple, healthy eater and I don't care about monotony.

however...
-dh will not eat ground meat of any kind (go figure)
-I don't like fish besides for salmon
-I will not eat pasta more than once a week, if that
-I would not try tofu, he wouldn't eat it

leaving me with only salmon, chicken cutlets and chicken to work with. but then dh gets tired of all the chicken.

I can throw in an occasional meat dinner like steak, pepper/minute steak, but weekly is a bit expensive.

what could a sample template even look like?? (ex if each day of week were a different kind of dish) you would think after 2 years I would figure this out but instead each day is another headache

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:10 pm
Would you eat lentils, chickpeas, beans, dishes with cottage or ricotta cheese, quinoa, quiche, or big salad with protein and carbs in it ?

Last edited by tichellady on Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:13 pm
Sunday - shabbos leftovers - can recycle chicken eg chicken pot pie or wraps.
Monday - pasta or other cheese based dish like eggplant parmesan. Pair with a healthy veg soup or salad.
Tuesday - grilled chicken breast or schnitzle or meat based dish
wed - salmon
thursday - chicken based (what about ground chicken? You can make meatballs, chili etc with this)

If you eat lentils or beans you can make falafel, lentil curry, lentil shepherds pie etc

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:14 pm
Just curious what an introvert personality has to do with making decisions. I am an introvert and I have no problem making decisions of any kind. I plan my menu on Sunday based on what's on sale that week (I get the circulars emailed to me on Saturday night).

So here's my usual rotation:
Sunday- leftover/takeout/roasted Chicken with some side dish
Monday- chicken cutlets/roasted chicken/pepper steak/(meatballs, but that doesn't work for you)
Tuesday- breaded founder, vegetable based soup, roasted potatoes
Wednesday- turkey roast (you didn't add turkey to your list of potential food items. I buy a boneless turkey roast because we get bored of chicken) with sautéed vegetables and farfel or rice or potatoes
Thursday- salmon, salad

If you serve a chicken salad/ chicken stir fry, that's not as "chickeny" as plain roasted chicken...
Good luck!

You can also make non-pasta dairy dinner (soup with salad and quiche/soufflé/portobello mushroom burgers/spaghetti squash with sauce pasta or spaghetti squash lasagna)

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:18 pm
Chicken sandwiches : breaded cutlets, stuffed in a pita with lettuce tomatoe and avocado.
Smear the inner sides of the pita with a dip such as:
Mayo, drop mustard, crushed garlic, ground pepper and salt to taste, bit of honey and bit of vinegar.
My family loves this dinner

Monday:
Beef stew in crockpot with potatoes and veggies. By cheap cholent meat and cut into small slices. I use whatever meat is on sale

Tuesday:
Chicken bottoms, rice and stir fried veggies

Wednesday:

Fresh rolls, veggie soup, salad and salmon

Thursday:

Egg omelets with veggies and melted cheese
With whole wheat toast
Israeli salad and some baked frozen French fries

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:18 pm
tichellady wrote:
Would you eat lentils, chickpeas, beans, dishes with cottage or ricotta cheese, quinoa?

thanks for all the ideas everyone - very helpful

I would eat all of the above but they're side dishes

turkey and falafel - good protein ideas

re introvert I always just thought I was bad at making decisions but was recently reading a book that explained how it's more difficult for introverts so that resonated and also validated me... google it there are a few interesting articles. obviously it's all soft science anyways but it's also anecdotally true

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:23 pm
amother wrote:

re introvert I always just thought I was bad at making decisions but was recently reading a book that explained how it's more difficult for introverts so that resonated and also validated me... google it there are a few interesting articles. obviously it's all soft science anyways but it's also anecdotally true

lentils, quinoa, chickpeas and beans are protein and perfectly delicious and filling as a main dish. Also, tofu, soya burgers etc.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:32 pm
amother wrote:

I make main dishes with these. I make a lentil rice casserole that is a main course, chickpea curry with rice, zuchinni cottage cheese casserole (sounds weird but is actually very good), spinach ricotta or cottage cheese quiche, tacos or burritos with red or black beans and guacamole, fresh tomato salsa, cilantro and/or sour cream and cheese, Cobb salad with hard boiled eggs and some turkey deli, salad with quinoa, roasted sweet potatoes, corn, lettuce,beets and cilantro or basil dressing (serve with filling soup like mushroom barley or Lentil). You can make lasagna with eggplant or zuchinni noodles (instead of pasta). Pizza is a fun dinner too (can make whole wheat or use cauliflower for low carb)

Shwarma, fish tacos, chicken tacos are a different way to use chicken or fish

we have soup every night. I make one pot on Sunday for the week.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:39 pm
Just gotta say, as a vegetarian, your body doesn't need that much protein. It doesn't need fish/meat/chicken or even beans every single day. And yes, this is based on what I've learned from certified dieticians.

You say beans are side dishes. Well, in a vegetarian household, ALL dishes are "side dishes." Make a few of them and you've got a meal.

But there are vegetarian, pasta-free main dishes. Lots of them:

*Make a hearty vegetarian chili, including several kinds of beans as well as corn, peppers, and tomatoes. Serve over brown rice for a very filling meal.
*Dh and I love shakshuka for dinner, even though it's traditionally a breakfast (eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce). Especially hearty when served in a baguette.
*Lasagna. Add chopped spinach or swiss chard, skip the fancy cheeses and use cottage and mozzarella, and make pasta-free if you want by using thinly sliced (lengthwise) zucchini or butternut squash (this you'll have to bake first till almost tender).
*Quiche. Make crust-free for extra ease. Sautee onions and spinach, chard, peppers or mushrooms, or bake thick slices of sweet potato. Mix in a bunch of eggs and whatever cheese you feel like, and bake in a buttered dish till golden and almost set.
*Fried eggplant "schnitzel" or take it a step further and make eggplant parmesan.
*Homemade pizza.
*Stir fried vegetables or homemade vegetarian pad thai (you don't need to use tofu), complete with egg and chopped peanuts, served over rice noodles.

And so much more!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:48 pm
Come up with a basic weekly plan and then come up a few versions so you can mix it up.

For example:

Sunday: leftovers
Monday: chicken legs
Tuesday: dairy
Wednesday: salmon
Thursday: chicken cutlets

Or whatever works for your family.

Then come up with a basic weekly plan of side dishes to choose from.

Potato
Rice
Sweet potato
Farfel or couscous
Protein salad to pair with dairy pasta dish

And vegetables.

Fresh vegetable salad
Roasted cut vegetables
Frozen vegetables baked of steamed
Cut vegetable sticks

Then come up with different versions of the above for different weeks, based on what your family likes.

Chicken legs: duck sauce chicken or kick'n chicken, southern style chicken, Italian Primavera chicken
Dairy: baked ziti, eggplant parmesan, spinach cheese shells
Salmon: lemon garlic salmon, Asian BBQ salmon, sweet garlic breaded salmon
Chicken cutlets: breaded teriyaki chicken, barbecue chicken nuggets, honey mustard or piquant chicken

Cubed roasted potatoes, halved crispy red potatoes
Mushroom rice, vegetable rice
Spicy sweet potato fries, sliced roasted sweet potatoes
Baked farfel, couscous
Greek salad for pasta main or Caesar salad with croutons for the eggplant parm that doesn't have as much of the side starch

Same for the vegetables.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:48 pm
Stuffed Peppers-- you can make it with beans, corn and rice with or without cheese.

Chicken or Salmon Tacos.

Sloppy Joes using chicken or mushroom and lentils.

Pulled chicken-- shredded chicken in bbq sauce. can work with turkey as well.

Loaded potatoes--broccoli, and hot dogs or salami.

Salami sandwiches.

Turkey or chicken schwarma

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Chicken Fajitas

Chicken, Turkey or Steak Kabobs

Cauliflower Pizza

Lasagna

Shashuka

Try out different types of spices and marinades to change things up a bit. Add soup, salad, sweet potato fries, or any other side dish for a full meal if necessary.

iluvy

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 7:12 pm
Just want to add -- I absolutely hate planning out meals -- much worse than cooking -- so this is something I ask my husband to do. He also makes dinner on Sunday because that's when he's home. Not everything has to be your job.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 10:04 pm
Sunday- leftovers from Shabbat
Monday- salmon patties,roasted potatoes, string beans
Tuesday-chicken and rice, brocolli
Wednesday- falafel in pita with all the fixings, French fries or sweet potato fries
Thursday- spinach lasagna, onion soup, salad

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 7:14 am
How can so many of you have chicken every night? Also, how do you afford it?
For us it's,
Sunday- shabbos leftovers, bulked up if needed
Monday- pasta
Tuesday- meaty, schnitzel, chicken salad, shepherds pie...
Wednesday- whatever's convenient.
Thursday- has been pizza recently. I make the dough in the mixer, the kids have sauce and cheese, I make mine with little or no cheese and lots of veggies. If I've prepared before, I'll use roasted vegetables. Sometimes focaccia style.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 7:19 am
No way op, dh is an introvert and making decisions is his one of his strongest points. You are reading non scientific stuff.

sourstix

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 7:20 am
Cheese can be just as expensive as chicken.

cnc

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 8:07 am
Iymnok wrote:
How can so many of you have chicken every night? Also, how do you afford it?
For us it's,
Sunday- shabbos leftovers, bulked up if needed
Monday- pasta
Tuesday- meaty, schnitzel, chicken salad, shepherds pie...
Wednesday- whatever's convenient.
Thursday- has been pizza recently. I make the dough in the mixer, the kids have sauce and cheese, I make mine with little or no cheese and lots of veggies. If I've prepared before, I'll use roasted vegetables. Sometimes focaccia style.

Chicken bottoms are cheaper than all the other options you gave besides for pasta.

moonstone

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 8:59 am
I love meat/chicken but could not eat it every night! I wouldn't want to eat or cook so many heavy, labor-intensive meals. How about a simple dinner once or twice a week, like breakfast (eggs, toast, salad) or sandwiches with (or without) soup? I like simple dinners like tuna salad, cottage cheese, baked potatoes and salad. Or how about just grilled cheese sandwiches and fries once in a while?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen