Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Construction/remodel where to begin??

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 1:12 pm
Hi, after many years of living in my house it is time to do some much needed work. There are things we must do and things we would like to do. Our mortgage is almost paid off BH so although we are reluctant to start all over again, there is no way we have the funds otherwise to do the job without refinancing. We are IYH doing siding, windows, kitchen, finishing basement, and redoing a bathroom/adding a bathroom on the 2nd floor. Also considering enclosing a porch. We are not planning at this point to extend anywhere, just redo the space we have.
I will have an architect draw up plans and hope we do not have to move out while the work is done. Anyone have any advice? If you've recently done similar work, please share your expert advice. I'm especially interested to hear what you would have done differently if you had the chance to do it over Smile

Thanks in advance!!

sourstix

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 1:26 pm
if its just an easy take out old and put in new then its ok to do it still when its cold. if its more complicated then maybe you should wait.

new kitchen consider that you wont be able to cook while doing this. consider this takes about a week to install.

you should be able to stay in your house if this is all you need to do. you need one workable bathroom to be able to stay.

I could tell you from my experience it doesnt pay to cut corners and try to take someone cheap. there are two ways of doing this. they give you a rough amount it would cost and then they dont ask you for more. then there is another way where you pay as you go. he cant tell you how much things cost and then it might cost much more in the long run. in construction there are surprises. and if you take a whole price and agree to pay the lumpsum then if there are any mistakes or issues that the contractor has with some of the stuff. then its all on him.

thats what I did. it came out more upfront but he took care of any problems that came up. I worked with an honest person. it did cost me alot but was very worth it. I had peace of mind that he was gonna take care of everything no matter what the problem.

when you pay as you go its not his fault and all the expenses are on your head. its so not worth it. I actually know someone that did it this way and they regret it big time. so take someone that people know are honest and knows his work. and you should be fine.

sourstix

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 1:37 pm
the architecht you take should make it that you should be happy with the plans. please dont compare to what other people do in their houses. its so not worth it. you need to think of what you like in terms of layout and everything you like. dont think of what others have done. I know people who have done that and are so miserable now.

for example for your kitchen. think about what would work for you, then tell the designer for the kitchen what youwant. no you cant have everything. but dont just go by what other people tell you. take opinions of two different kitchen designers. and compare. hatzlacha. hope this helps.

this is just my experience.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 1:49 pm
Thank you! That was very helpful. Any more advice, anyone? It's such a huge job and I don't want to make any big mistakes (I realize little things will go wrong but I only get one chance to do this right!)

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 2:01 pm
You probably need permits for the work.
I would start with architect and start finding contractor.
What happens is the architect should give you preliminary plans. You can get preliminary quote from contractor to see the budget. Then continue with the plans based on the budget.
Find out permits needed and start applying for permits.
YOu can refinance your home (do it now if you will because rates are low now and going up). Then pull out money to pay for the work.
Get a space planner to look over the work, make sure closets are good sizes, that you have adequate closets\storage\room sizes, etc.

sourstix

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 2:21 pm
contractors take care of permits. they go down to the building department for you.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 3:27 pm
I guess was thinking also of variances. Like if you are going to be closing a porch - close to the property line that is only allowed to be a porch, or something like that.
(we are doing construction that requires variances and doing all that on our own before starting with plans)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics