Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Summer quandary

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 4:03 am
Do u/ would u go to the Catskills when ur due in August? My husband wants to take a job upstate, he doesn't drive, and I don't want to deliver in any of the upstate hospitals...
Otoh, we live in a 1 BR apt, 3 little kids, with no porch (top fl of big building,) my kids need the fresh air and grass, plus if he takes the job it means I won't have to cook.
Up until last yr we were not able to go upstate as I had to work in the summer. Last yr I was able to work from the bungalow and even though my husband worked verrrrry hard, and I barely saw him, we still had an amazing summer. This yr, I will have to work but only once a wk out of the house in July. meaning if we go upstate I'll have to shlep back to the city couple of times, plus find placement those days for my kids.
I have delivered early in the past, and I never really know when I'm in labor as I have (mostly very painfu) BH contractions nonstop from about 24 wks. B'H with every baby I got to the hospital in time, but really bhashgacha pratis ( water broke, had Dr appt by next he said to go in as 4 open, one I plain decided to check myself out obvs H' gave me that thought, got there at 8 open..,) so I'm really nervous as how things will go this time and be so far away from NYC, but I'm still torn as to whether it's fair to my husband and kids(and myself to not have to worry about food!!) .
Sorry for long post, but wanted to give fuller picture...
Would love to here advice!

rachel6543

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 5:19 am
Personally if I had a history of early labor and pregnancy complications, I don't think I would go on this summer vacation this year. But that's my opinion.

I think it would be a good idea if you discuss your concerns with your OBGYN. I think your doctor would be better able to advise you if this would be safe or not with your pregnancy. Especially with so much travel in the third trimester.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 9:38 am
When in August are you due? In the beginning or the end? How early do you go into labor? How will you come into the city if you are in labor etc?

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 8:01 pm
I'm due in the middle of August. I would probably have to take a car service to the hospital. Thing is, it's not like I have what to discuss with my Dr. Yet. Will have to see how pregnancy progresses. But camps are hiring staff now. I think my husband doesn't want to lose his "spot". Plus we had an amazing bungalow, almost bigger than my apt!
I think that secretly, deep down my husband thinks a 36 wk pg would be the best thing lol. As he keeps on saying, so if it's like last time then it will be like the 2nd wk into camp...

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 1:21 am
Op here. I would love to hear experiences of people that were due July/August, did u or did u not go upstate that year, and can u please share if there was a any major deciding factor that pushed u to make this decision?
Thank u!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:21 am
I know people that go and ready to risk it. But you have to know your body and be really prepared to fly home in case you do go into labor. How long are your labors usually( not that you can always compare)?

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 11:37 am
flowerpower wrote:
I know people that go and ready to risk it. But you have to know your body and be really prepared to fly home in case you do go into labor. How long are your labors usually( not that you can always compare)?

Pretty long so far. Like even when I got to the hospital at 8cm it was still about 4 hrs till baby born.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 11:46 am
Can you just go for July? Or what will your dh and kids do if you stay home? I wouldn't want to go in your circumstances.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 11:50 am
If you have a history of delivering early, no way would I go.
Every year Hatzolah publicizes that there aren't any quality hospitals nearby , and they have to deal with taking pregnant women to a city hospital.
Not not not worth it.
Plus, you'll need to see your doctor once a week at that point- which means traveling for that, too.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 12:21 pm
I would also ask about just July.

What happens with DH's job if/when you deliver early? Presumably, he will need to leave on a moments notice and then take some time off. And what happens with your family? Do you all move back to the city when the baby is born, to be near your doctors and whatever help you may have access to? If not, how do you manage? Also, can you manage those weekly drives while 8 and 9 months pregnant?

I live in Northern NJ and did two weeks on the Jersey Shore at the end of August when I was due in early/mid September, and my previous few babies were all a week or two early. It was a one and a half hour drive to my doctor/hospital, and my labors were a bit more predictably timed than yours. Plus, I checked up on local hospitals first.

cnc

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 3:37 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
If you have a history of delivering early, no way would I go.
Every year Hatzolah publicizes that there aren't any quality hospitals nearby , and they have to deal with taking pregnant women to a city hospital.
Not not not worth it.
Plus, you'll need to see your doctor once a week at that point- which means traveling for that, too.

There's an excellent recently redone hospital in Middletown.
I know people that delivered there deliberately.

besty

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 4:08 pm
I used to go out for the weekends in the summer. when I was due with my first mid august I stopped going out like 2 weeks before but was two weeks over due.

you have to know your body and If you really feel like you must go you should make a responsible plan how to work it everything out but again man plans god laffs so you really cant know what will be!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics