Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What do you mean, no shells?!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

pesek zman

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 12:38 pm
I don't own a single shell. I hate the look. I don't shop at frum stores either. Always made do and have tons of clothes

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 12:38 pm
amother wrote:
If it fits you, can you wear it with a blouse?

It has puffy sleeves. And a ''dickey''

Debbie

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 12:44 pm
[quote="amother"

the only way you can get away with shells is if you shop in Jewish stores. they make dresses and tops that are tzanua and don't need shells but then you're paying $80 for a t shirt and $200 for one dress.[/quote

Shopping in Jewish stores is no guarantee that a shell won't be needed, I have a few tops bought from Jewish shops ( owned by Frum women) and they all need shells under them.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 1:09 pm
I just recently bought two dresses at Jcpenny that didn't require any additions and they weren't the only ones around, although I'm not sure about collarbone coverage.
In Israel women wear high-collard dresses with a cardigan covering the arms and back. Instead of a shell underneath. It doesn't help for open necklines though.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 1:16 pm
Wear a shirt, blouse, or turtleneck instead.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 1:17 pm
it covers. I am just not sure how to post the pic anonymously

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 1:22 pm
amother wrote:
http://www.target.com/p/women-.....A-51090464
This one really covers the entire collar bone. I know they put a shirt under on some of the pics, but it is totally not ness for tznious

For those who are makpid, that is not enough.

http://www.yalnewyork.com/inde......html

This page has some that might work, depending on your neck.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 1:23 pm
I find that I don't like how a lot of the frum store clothes fit.Like, yeah, it has sleeves, but they aren't tailored well. And a lot, if not all, of the collars aren't halachik.
I'm finding that this trend of not wearing a shell is making me wear an extra layer because I need to wear shells under my blouses that are acting as shells now.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 1:31 pm
Personally, I can't afford to buy an entire new wardrobe every few years when the styles change. So I will continue to wear the sleeveless tops I have, with shells underneath. And the open cardigans I bought a couple years ago when that was the style.

Also, FTR, I would also need a shell for the neckline of the tops posted in this thread. The way my shoulders are built I need a really small neck opening if I want to cover my collarbone.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 1:31 pm
amother wrote:
For those who are makpid, that is not enough.

http://www.yalnewyork.com/inde......html

This page has some that might work, depending on your neck.

These are beautiful but so expensive!

essie14

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 1:48 pm
Lands End has a ton of long sleeve t shirts

http://www.landsend.com/shop/w....._-txt

Tons at Macys
https://www.macys.com/shop/wom.....d=255

This is a fabulous one from Eddie Bauer
http://www.eddiebauer.com/prod.....n__US

Nordstrom
http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/wo.....45687

perquacky

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 1:55 pm
Squishy wrote:
The neckline needs to cover where a necklace would fall. That one wouldn't work either. The only one that would work for me would be the turtleneck, and I hate turtlenecks.

I've never heard that before. Does that mean that if you're wearing a shirt with a necklace, and the necklace is touching the skin around your neck and it's visible around your neck, then the neckline is too large or too low?
When you wear a necklace, does the chain always rest on the clothing and not on skin?

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:03 pm
Every persons build is different. What will sork for one person might not work for someone else.
Most of the posted peiced wouldnt work for me either . I would need to wear a shell underneath.

About good old dickies... I have seen 'dickie shells' its the ''neck" of a shell but cut like a dickie so you dont have that extra layer...

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:05 pm
[quote="perquacky"]I've never heard that before. Does that mean that if you're wearing a shirt with a necklace, and the necklace is touching the skin around your neck and it's visible around your neck, then the neckline is too large or too low?
When you wear a necklace, does the chain always rest on the clothing and not on skin?[/quote

Yes, that is how I do it. Makes it hard to find things without a shell.

bsy

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:05 pm
perquacky wrote:
I've never heard that before. Does that mean that if you're wearing a shirt with a necklace, and the necklace is touching the skin around your neck and it's visible around your neck, then the neckline is too large or too low?
When you wear a necklace, does the chain always rest on the clothing and not on skin?

This is what I learned. But I can't say that this is what I do all the time. I try, but it's not perfect, and sometimes there's a bit of skin between the necklace and shell.

perquacky

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:06 pm
Thank you for the explanation. I know some people always cover their collarbone, but the concept of covering higher is new to me.

bsy

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:07 pm
perquacky wrote:
Thank you for the explanation. I know some people always cover their collarbone, but the concept of covering higher is new to me.

It's not higher. It's more just all around.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:13 pm
Squishy wrote:
The neckline needs to cover where a necklace would fall. That one wouldn't work either. The only one that would work for me would be the turtleneck, and I hate turtlenecks.

Can you provide a source for this?

I can't find any source for covering the collarbone (and I've looked). I would really like to find one. Thanks

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:15 pm
amother wrote:
Personally, I can't afford to buy an entire new wardrobe every few years when the styles change. So I will continue to wear the sleeveless tops I have, with shells underneath. .

Same here.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Feb 15 2017, 2:15 pm
amother wrote:
Can you provide a source for this?

I can't find any source for covering the collarbone (and I've looked). I would really like to find one. Thanks

Did you read Rav Falk's sefer?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics