Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking to move to Los Angeles
1  2  3  Next

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 5:41 pm
My husband and I are yeshivish/balebatish and we would like to move to California. We want to live in one of the frum neighborhoods. However, my husband would need to find a good job before we could think of moving there because I know the cost of living there is pretty high. Any ideas?

My husband is in the nursing home field and has experience. I can take my job with me b'h.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 10:25 am
Bump

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 11:23 am
Hancock park is the area where Chasidish/yeshivish people live. Rent is almost as high as NY. It is out of town to a certain degree. What exactly do you want to know?

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 11:41 am
amother wrote:
Hancock park is the area where Chasidish/yeshivish people live. Rent is almost as high as NY. It is out of town to a certain degree. What exactly do you want to know?

I thought Hancock Park was in Chicago though I could be wrong....

Also, my question is more so about my husband finding a good job in a nursing home before we move there. We just have no contacts there to get him in to that field. We love the frum community in LA and appreciate the warmth and out of town feel. We currently live in Lakewood.

doctorima

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 11:47 am
West Rogers Park is in Chicago; Hancock Park is in LA.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 11:58 am
doctorima wrote:
West Rogers Park is in Chicago; Hancock Park is in LA.

Thanks for clarifying!

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 12:00 pm
Lakewood rent is much cheaper but ok. Why do you not try it out for a summer like we did and see your opinions.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 12:01 pm
amother wrote:

We're not chassidish. Is there any other community you would recommend besides Hancock Park?

Also, how much do you need to make in a year approximately in order to live there comfortably? I've heard that the cost of living in LA is very high and I would like to hear from LA people if that's true. Are there some neighborhoods that are cheaper than others? We don't need anything bigger than a 3/4 bedroom house or apartment.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:
Lakewood rent is much cheaper but ok. Why do you not try it out for a summer like we did and see your opinions.

We were in LA for about a week and loved it and that's what made us think of possibly moving there. Me and my husband are both on the same page and he just needs to find a good job before moving there. I know that Rechnitz owns about 80 nursing homes in LA but my husband has no way of getting in touch with him. If only we had more options....

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 12:29 pm
amother wrote:
We're not chassidish. Is there any other community you would recommend besides Hancock Park?

Also, how much do you need to make in a year approximately in order to live there comfortably? I've heard that the cost of living in LA is very high and I would like to hear from LA people if that's true. Are there some neighborhoods that are cheaper than others? We don't need anything bigger than a 3/4 bedroom house or apartment.

Most people in Hancock park are not chassidish. There are many orthodox neighborhoods in Los Angeles. You would decide where you live based on what you can afford, commuting distance to school/work etc. rent for a 3 bedroom apartment probably starts at $3500. the valley is a little cheaper but still expensive and north Hollywood has a nice community.
Your husband can start looking for jobs online and by connecting to people in the nursing home industry on LinkedIn and then sending his resume around.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 12:51 pm
I live in LA and live in the pico area. My husband is in a kollel here and I think it's worth it to take a trip out here for a little bit. Hancock park/la brea is a lot different than pico and most certainly a culture change from Lakewood. Expenses are very high and jobs are hard to come by. The suggestion is to network. Rechnitz isn't the only owner of nursing homes though if you came here and we're able to go to Shuls have your husband talk to people maybe he can make some connections. Besides for job hunting you really should have a clear understanding on what the cost of living is here, my budget nearly doubled moving from Lakewood.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 12:54 pm
amother wrote:
We were in LA for about a week and loved it and that's what made us think of possibly moving there. Me and my husband are both on the same page and he just needs to find a good job before moving there. I know that Rechnitz owns about 80 nursing homes in LA but my husband has no way of getting in touch with him. If only we had more options....

I'm laughing. So many people come here for vacation for 3-4 days, love it, and decide 'hey, maybe we should move here!" Its really not so simple. The cost of living is way higher than Lakewood. You want "only" a 3-4 bedroom? If your lucky enough to find, it'll be in the $4000-$6000 range. yes, you read that right. In the valley its cheaper, but totally different type of communities (more sefardi, MO..) Tuition is over 10,000, kosher food is more expensive.

sourstix

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 1:10 pm
What type of people live in such expensive neighborhoods? I am just shocked. Never knew there's something as insanely crazy as New York, even worse

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 1:19 pm
amother wrote:
Most people in Hancock park are not chassidish. There are many orthodox neighborhoods in Los Angeles. You would decide where you live based on what you can afford, commuting distance to school/work etc. rent for a 3 bedroom apartment probably starts at $3500. the valley is a little cheaper but still expensive and north Hollywood has a nice community.
Your husband can start looking for jobs online and by connecting to people in the nursing home industry on LinkedIn and then sending his resume around.

shock wow how do people afford it?

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 1:20 pm
sourstix wrote:
What type of people live in such expensive neighborhoods? I am just shocked. Never knew there's something as insanely crazy as New York, even worse

Many people bought houses before the prices were this high. Others are wealthy or live in smaller places they can afford.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 1:24 pm
amother wrote:
I'm laughing. So many people come here for vacation for 3-4 days, love it, and decide 'hey, maybe we should move here!" Its really not so simple. The cost of living is way higher than Lakewood. You want "only" a 3-4 bedroom? If your lucky enough to find, it'll be in the $4000-$6000 range. yes, you read that right. In the valley its cheaper, but totally different type of communities (more sefardi, MO..) Tuition is over 10,000, kosher food is more expensive.

Very Happy You nailed it. I grew up in LA and I laugh every time someone asks me why I don't move there, "we went there on vacation and it's the nicest place ever!" Well, maybe when we win the lottery...

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 1:47 pm
So basically, it pretty much comes down to a money issue. Do people make much more money in LA since the cost of living is so high? I seriously wonder how people do it. Not everyone in LA is rich....

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 2:56 pm
Everyone has their own way they make it work. I definitely make more than I did it Lakewood for starters so we are able to make it work by living in a smaller apartment and trying to be as resourceful as we can. the rent and basics are so expensive that I can't see it as a long term plan unless the things my husband and I are working towards turn very lucrative.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 3:31 pm
amother wrote:

You are right but all Chasidish people live in Hancock park. LA. Has the biggest Chasidish community on the west coast even more than any other middle state for that matter. Whatever....

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 3:42 pm
amother wrote:
You are right but all Chasidish people live in Hancock park. LA. Has the biggest Chasidish community on the west coast even more than any other middle state for that matter. Whatever....

All I meant is that if you are not chassidish, you won't have trouble fitting in in hancock park.
There are plenty of Lubavitch people in the Pico Robertson community (chassidim not in Hancock park)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating