Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
ADD

Super Mom

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 6:37 am
My DD4 has below average concentration. Not little enough for medication but is there another way? Therapy of some sort?

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 7:14 am
At age 4, I'd suggest making checklists with pictures for her routines, which can help her practice needed skills.

And help her learn to read and learn to love it.

What happens that makes you wonder?

For the record, most people with ADHD have the ability to hyperfocus, which makes them very high ABOVE average at concentration when they want to be. It just has to be in an area that they love.

If you think there might be a concern with your DD, you might want to initiate the evaluation process now, as it can take the good part of a year to wait. And if you do get a diagnosis, nobody will force you to give her medication, but at least, you would have the option if it was needed for school.

Super Mom

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 10:59 am
We've done all the assessments except Neurologist and I'd like to anticipate what will happen in his assessment before we go. She already has speech therapy and occupational therapy. She has a mild sensory and focus issue.

mha3484

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 11:13 am
My child was showing signs of impulsive behavior around 2 1/2-3 years old. His nursery year things got more serious and we started with OT and behavior modification as well as some nutritional supplements. It helped but eventually we did do meds (he is 6).

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 11:20 am
my ds is exactly like the previous poster sounds like. hes also on meds. though he never got ot.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 4:55 pm
Ask the OT for suggestions!

Kids with attention issues can learn skills to help them cope. I'm not sure if the OT can help you, but if she can't, ask her to recommend a professional who could.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers